Any members lift weights?

Ive always loved sport, and gone to the gym on and off for about 5 years (im currently 22). Only recently (last 6 months) have I got onto a 'real' decent diet and program. I want to compete in an amatuer powerlifting comp next year. I am far from strong but love the simpilcity of PL- squat, bench and deadlift as much as you can!!! lol

Anyone else like lifting weights, anyone do strength training?

Cheers,

Dicko

lol soz for another non-cigar related thread :-p

although on that point I bought a 27 L esky (cooler) this week and put my meagre collection of cigars in there.

*I used to bicycle religiously; run at least 1 & 1/2 miles regularly, then my dog (my running partner) passed away and I sort of lost my drive & devotion to it; actually got most of my strength & weight lift training just carrying heavy groceries over blocks and blocks to the house...Found that the greatest stamina inducing exercise I ever experienced was just jump roping 30min. daily. I took a full 2 minutes off my two mile run time in Army PT doing that!

Me!

Squats, deadlifts, bencpress, rows etc. I've been going to gym (almost) regularly for 7-8 years. Unfortunately, I don't have genetics for any sport, so I'm still without any noticeable muscle or strength. :cigar:

But still, I like lifting weights. Nothing beats a hard set of ass-to-the-grass -squats.

...Well, maybe a good cigar, sex, a cold beer, a decent burger can beat that. Come to think of it, almost anything beats doing a hard set of squats. But still...

I was US national junior champion at olympic weightlifting as a teenager back in the late 80s. At 75kg weight, my lifts were 120kg ****** and 150kg C&J. I went to the olympic trials in '88, but did not make the team (I think only four people made it that year). A few injuries later and I hung it up. 22 yrs later and my back still hurts every day . . . :cigar:

Hey Dicko,

Yeah mate, I'm pretty keen.

Get up at 5am 5 mornings a week... train for an hour... love it!

Nutrition and rest are key, mate.

I'm not blessed with ideal genetics... and am the hardest of hard gainers... but still love the challenge.

Good luck with it all. And stay focused!

I just joined a gym yesterday because during my last three weeks in fuerteventura the visit to weightroom was a fun part that vacation (no wind, so starting kitesurfing was not quite what I expected).

Now I found out where all the beautiful women hide in the winter. The cardioarea has never been as tempting before. I'm really looking forward to getting back in shape.

I was US national junior champion at olympic weightlifting as a teenager back in the late 80s. At 75kg weight, my lifts were 120kg ****** and 150kg C&J. I went to the olympic trials in '88, but did not make the team (I think only four people made it that year). A few injuries later and I hung it up. 22 yrs later and my back still hurts every day . . . :cigar:

I attended the 1984 Olympic Trials, you Olympic lifters are amazing. I go to the gym 5 days per week. 30 minutes on the bike, then 30 minutes lifting. I hate the last 30 minutes.

I was US national junior champion at olympic weightlifting as a teenager back in the late 80s. At 75kg weight, my lifts were 120kg ****** and 150kg C&J. I went to the olympic trials in '88, but did not make the team (I think only four people made it that year). A few injuries later and I hung it up. 22 yrs later and my back still hurts every day . . . :rolleyes:

commiserations for your back. i always wondered how heavy a toll weightlifting takes on your body, then i saw that guy dislocate his elbow? live at the last olympics ... ouch.

i used to do squats for rugby training but it kept twinging my hammy. one of the best exercises to make you feel lightheaded and faint.

Used to do training and such a lot. I've got a younger brother that has won a bunch of bodybuilding competitions. But for me, the last few years, not so much. Have put on quite a few pounds also.

I'm 6"1", 267 lbs. At my best physically, and ripped and well-trained, I ring in at about 230 lbs. My bone mass is quite literally out of whack - haven't (fully) broke a bone in all the crazy stuff that I've done, have just awesome bone mass and sizing to me, as far as the doctors have told me. Back about 10 years ago now, I went pure cardio (no weight training), and dropped down to 197 lbs. At that weight, over 196 lbs at 6' 1", I'd be listed as "overweight" by the standard weight charts. Well, you could see my ribs - I had friends and my family doctor telling me I was too skinny at that point. The 220 to 230 range is best/perfect for me.

While I don't have a great metabolism, and I'm a fair bit out of shape the last few years, I do have my structure to thank for my decent stature, even with my weight right now. I've got very broad shoulders, and well defined shoulders, delts, arms, and lats.

Personally, I hate cardio, and try my best to stay away from it. :rolleyes: Obviously you need to do some. When I do go to the gym, which I've been getting on better again in the last few months, I do a 10-minute cardio warm up, then an hour of circuit/weight training, and then wrap up with a 30-minute cardio (usually a bike, as I hate running).

My wife's a nurse - since she sees it all the time, she hates running. It's all about the low-impact (swimming, bike, eliptical, etc.). Its no use beating up your body now to get a "perfect look" now, to only be in your 40's or 50's and needing hip- or knee-replacement surgery.

I found an adult gymnastics class which I use instead of a gym. It's more fun than lifting weights, and I get to flip. It got me fit and I could backsault on the floor, which was something I had always wanted to do.

Worked out regularly for over 20 years, had to stop suddenly when I injured my back, now just do light dumbels , chest , and treadmill daily. What a culture shock it was. It turned out to work out pretty good though. As guess as you get older in my case you can't lift like you could when you were young. I use to lift pretty heavy too.

'CanuckSARTech' , I agree swimming or cycling is better than running, for me anyway! less impact. not that ive done much cardio lately lol.

Rob, that is very dedicated!! I agree, diet and rest is a big one! In fact, for me, diet is most of the effort (used to be terrible, now merely average to good). What kind of diet do you follow, or is it just making sure you eat healthy??

UBC, a 150 C&J at any weight and age is an awesome lift!! I hope your back doesn't keep you back too much.

Omskakas, I don't buy this "without noticeable muscle or strength" lol. 8 years of ATG squats and I bet you're a beast!

Cigcars, I enjoy jumping rope too, can be a bit heavy on the shins but..

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I get to work out for a living.....sort of. My primary job is Director of Wellness and Rehabilitation; I am a clinical exercise physiologist currently working in geriatric rehabilitation but I have been a private trainer working with a handful of clients in the evenings for the past 16 years as well.

^ Thanks Dicko. I was 17 when I had my best olympic lifts and at that time could also squat 400+ lbs with my butt touching the ground (not some halfway hack squat). Today I am 40 and I doubt that I could do 1/2 that amount without seriously hurting myself even though I do lift comparatively light weights 4-5 times a week and am in pretty good shape. I literally find it amazing that I was once able to lift that much weight because it's so unimaginable now. Just the thought of putting 200lbs over my head hurts.

Rob, that is very dedicated!! I agree, diet and rest is a big one! In fact, for me, diet is most of the effort (used to be terrible, now merely average to good). What kind of diet do you follow, or is it just making sure you eat healthy??

Dicko, I dont like teh word diet... I prefer to consider it healthy eating.

Being someone who struggles to put on weight, I need to eat as much as possible to put on any size; specifically muscle mass.

So for me, it means eating as often as I physically can and making sure its good food. My biggest problem in all this is that I have a very small appetite and eating regularly is not something my body is comfortable with. Its a real battle to even eat a full breakfast somedays.

On the other hand, some people need only look at food and they put on weight. Those guys would require an entirely different regimine.

As far as type of food. I dont have any "must haves"... but I have plenty of foods that I avoid (or eat as moderately as possible) - foods with high saturated fat and/or sugar levels -- soft drink, lollies and sweets, deep fried anything etc...

Though I do splurge and allow myself alcohol everyday... though not so much beer.

Enjoy your training mate. Mix it up often and dedicate yourself. You WILL be rewarded.

Omskakas, I don't buy this "without noticeable muscle or strength" lol. 8 years of ATG squats and I bet you're a beast!

A beast? Barely a vermin! :D

My best set of ATG squats is 5x132,5 kg. Yesterday I deadlifted 5x160kg, me being 170 cm, 80 kg. Bench? Don't ask. ;)