Any members lift weights?

A beast? Barely a vermin! :D

My best set of ATG squats is 5x132,5 kg. Yesterday I deadlifted 5x160kg, me being 170 cm, 80 kg. Bench? Don't ask. ;)

I'm at squats 5 x 120kg, deads 5 x 150kg, bench 5 x 100kg. me at 182 cm, 90kg. You are doing better than me! :P

aiming for 1 rep max 160 squat, 200 deadlift and 120 bench by the end of next year (squat will be hard lol)

Rob, thanks heaps for the advice :) I also have a small appetite, but eat a lot of junk. trying to eat healthier (less takeaway, more fruit and veg)

Northernguy, what are your views on belts??? I just bought one, straightened up my back for deads and hurt less after squats. Or should i just get stronger/better technique etc...?

Northernguy, what are your views on belts??? I just bought one, straightened up my back for deads and hurt less after squats. Or should i just get stronger/better technique etc...?

I feel that a belt is necessary for heavy lifting/80% and above to avoid injuries. On high rep sets I personally do not use it.

I'm at squats 5 x 120kg, deads 5 x 150kg, bench 5 x 100kg. me at 182 cm, 90kg. You are doing better than me! :)

aiming for 1 rep max 160 squat, 200 deadlift and 120 bench by the end of next year (squat will be hard lol)

It feels like I've been doing weights forever and now rarely see any progress. :D I guess I already have to drop my dream to become a professional powerlifter or bodybuilder. ;)

You didn't ask me but still: I never use belt, but I never do one rep maxes.

^ Thanks Dicko. I was 17 when I had my best olympic lifts and at that time could also squat 400+ lbs with my butt touching the ground (not some halfway hack squat). Today I am 40 and I doubt that I could do 1/2 that amount without seriously hurting myself even though I do lift comparatively light weights 4-5 times a week and am in pretty good shape. I literally find it amazing that I was once able to lift that much weight because it's so unimaginable now. Just the thought of putting 200lbs over my head hurts.

Do you remember Michael Jacques? I saw him lift a few times and was really impressed with his technique. Kevin Winter, Ken Clark, Martinez, so many lifters I can't remember their names... ahhh, the good old days.

I feel that a belt is necessary for heavy lifting/80% and above to avoid injuries. On high rep sets I personally do not use it.

Thanks mate, I have felt it is useful so far too from my limited experience.

Omskakas, being able to put together a long amount of time lifting is an acheivment in itself.

Love road cycling, jogging and weightlifting. Just purchased a 300lb Olympic weight set for the garage to compliment the rack full of 5-50lb dumbells. Never liked the big corporate owned gyms where it seems people go to socialize more than get a good workout.

Iv'e been using the small gym at my neighborhood clubhouse but even thats starting to get on my nerves...rather just pump iron by myself, hence the new set for the garage.

Do you remember Michael Jacques? I saw him lift a few times and was really impressed with his technique. Kevin Winter, Ken Clark, Martinez, so many lifters I can't remember their names... ahhh, the good old days.

Ken and Mario were probably just finishing their careers when I was getting to the national level (at least they seemed like old guys to me back then). I seem to recall that Michael Jacques was out of Gayle Hatch in LA but I didn't know him. The name Kevin Winter does not ring a bell. If you remember Ken and Mario, then you might also remember Jeff Michaels and Rich Shutz who were gym mates of mine from Sayre Park.

I've been working our 3-5 days a week for 20 years. Usually I alternate, one day I do upper body, circuit training of chest, back, shoulders, and abs, about 30 minutes, then 30 minutes of cardio, next workout starting with 30 harder minutes of cardio, then 20 minutes of circut training for lower body, followed by more cardio. I'm 55 years old and have learned that I have to pyramid up my weights and be careful of my knees, elbows, and lower back, and that I can get tendonitis if I try to train too heavy or don't warm up with lighter weights and higher weights first. I've been able to stay strong and full of endurance and don't injure myself when I do heavy chores with this approach. Diet comes and goes for me, weight goes up and down, but the fitness and weight training has been a constant for a long time.

I've been working our 3-5 days a week for 20 years. Usually I alternate, one day I do upper body, circuit training of chest, back, shoulders, and abs, about 30 minutes, then 30 minutes of cardio, next workout starting with 30 harder minutes of cardio, then 20 minutes of circut training for lower body, followed by more cardio. I'm 55 years old and have learned that I have to pyramid up my weights and be careful of my knees, elbows, and lower back, and that I can get tendonitis if I try to train too heavy or don't warm up with lighter weights and higher weights first. I've been able to stay strong and full of endurance and don't injure myself when I do heavy chores with this approach. Diet comes and goes for me, weight goes up and down, but the fitness and weight training has been a constant for a long time.

Good thing you smoke cigars to balance all that healthiness up. Otherwise you might end up living like, forever. :P

Ken and Mario were probably just finishing their careers when I was getting to the national level (at least they seemed like old guys to me back then). I seem to recall that Michael Jacques was out of Gayle Hatch in LA but I didn't know him. The name Kevin Winter does not ring a bell. If you remember Ken and Mario, then you might also remember Jeff Michaels and Rich Shutz who were gym mates of mine from Sayre Park.

Oh yeah, I remember them both, especially Michels. You belonged to a great club at Sayre Park.