Live: Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No 1 Review,

Here's the decision - while I don't have a Hoyo Epi 1, I did go out to my local b&m and get an Epi No. 2 and a Party 898 Varn (both sticks that I haven't had in 5 or 6 years, and that I wanted to try again).

So, here's the kicker - do I stay with the marca, and enjoy the Epi 2 while you guys are having a 1, or do I stay with the corona gorda theme, and have a Punch Punch or an H. Upmann Magnum 46 (both of which I have in my humi).

Decisions, decisions.

So, I don't have an Epi No. 1. But, I did run out earlier to my local b&m and got a Party 898 Varn, and a Hoyo Epi No. 2 (both of which I haven't had in years, and wanted to try again).

So, I'm going to be enjoying my Epicure No. 2, while you guys are all having a No. 1 - at least that way, I can share in on the enjoyment of the flavours of the marca, and walk through it from there.

Dug an Epi 1 out tonight. Boli CG almost distracted me...

ARO Abr 08 Starting out medium with some wood and spice through the nose.

post-4436-1282180860.jpg

Keith, the Epi 2 is close enough! I find it a little stronger and more concentrated than the Epi1.

I forgot to add that the prelight draw tasted like Hershey's Milk chocolate. The spice is diminishing, but is still present on the finish. Wood is the character with just a little cream.

Evening everyone,

If no one is aware , this is my go to cigar and has been for years, good or bad,

this is the one. I mean, come on !!!! what other vitola would keep me up and wait 3 am

to do a cigar review ??? WELL ???? :huh:

OK, I made my point

Sneaking in my cigar room to get a cigar means danger while my wife is sleeping, but it's for

the cause. :2thumbs:

Always a great looking box and the cigars has all a nice shine to them.

Will be back after the frist third.

post-3705-1282180980.jpg

post-3705-1282181042.jpg

post-3705-1282181099.jpg

post-3705-1282181155.jpg

Let's keep the reviews to Epicure No 1 so that the format makes sense once we transfer it to the review section.

Crap, never mind. :2thumbs:

Oh well - I'll watch this progress, and then do a review later on for my Epi 2 in another thread in the Reviews section.

No worries.

Guy, you are the MAN!

My draw is fine, but I am getting the sense of an underfilled smoke. There is very little "body" and the spicy finish and wood taste that is resembling oak are making me ? this specimen.

First third starts off in a very smooth way with notes of Wet grass, tones of bready dough

seconded by some lovely creamyness.

The draw is a bit too easy on this one but!!

I'm pairing my Hoyo with a Macallan Fine Oak single malt, 12 years old, just fine :2thumbs:

post-3705-1282181556.jpg

post-3705-1282181720.jpg

The 2nd third is coming along just fine with that leathery taste flowing

and adding some great bready dough with hints of dark tea and floral notes :)

the leather is right there and gives the cigar its rich and flavorful complexity

I must say that the Macallan adds to the pleasure with it's smooth roundness.

post-3705-1282182242.jpg