Live: Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No 1 Review,

The end of the first third was indeed soft, underfilled. Had to relight. A light purge and i am back in action. The body is a bit better, but still mostly wood and some spice on the finish. Crossing fingers that things will pick up a bit.

Last third going fine and the Macallan also. :blink:

Never paired it with a Hoyo but I'm not regreting it, very smooth :) adding some vanilla to the tasting B)

The Epicure 1 has gone from medium to medium full with great flavours of dark rich leather

and sweet cedar wood, swiffes of chocolate and coffee more on the café au lait creamyness.

For me, what can I say ?? Always an enjoyable cigar on a nice summer night, or should I say, morning ? :)

I just couldn't miss this one, now could I :lol:

I won't give the Epicure No. 1 a note but it was great to share the pleasure with everyone. ;)

I started the smoke at 3 am and finished at 4.05 am

post-3705-1282183553.jpg

post-3705-1282183770.jpg

Can I NOW go to bed BOSS ??? :lol:

The end of the second third has turned this cigar around. The wood flavor has melded and became smooth with some leather and a bit of cream and a hint of coffee bean (so slight). Much better, just under medium, but the body is richer. Thank goodness...

And way to go Guy!

Overall the poorest Epi 1 I have had in a long time. It guilt up in body during the last third but it was based on heat and bot flavour. Yes I had elements of cream, bread and some stonefruit but it just didn't have the one element of a cigar which I look for...CLASS!

My fault. I picked a second for this review which lacked a wrapper which could deliver the essential elements. In general they are one of my favourite Corona Extras. This one was a disappointment.

Wrappers are important. They can be ugly as sin but they need oil.

post-4-1282185886.jpg

Well, the final third held on to the better traits of the second third. It was a good recovery, but a poor overall experience. Glimpses of a good smoke at most. Ah well, can't win em all...

Wrappers are important. They can be ugly as sin but they need oil.

I'm sorry to hear that it was so different from the one you guys had

on the deck Rob :huh:

On your photo it did look a bit ugly at that.

My Hoyo did have a nice wrapper even if I have had better with a lot more oil.

On the whole my serie did not let me down but I do miss that dominate honey and caramal

taste from the good old days that came from the corojo tobacco from San Juan y Martinez.

OH well !!!!!

That's progress :rolleyes: , Right ? :lol:

I didn't have the opportunity to join in on the live review with you fellas (wish I did), but I have been enjoying a box of Epi 1's lately (ARO ABR08 - czar). I bought the cab on a whim a little more than a year ago because I enjoy others in the HdM line and like the CG size, so figured it would be a good match. The first few I smoked over the first couple months of having the box were less than memorable and I realized that I violated one of the "rules" - don't buy a box without sampling first. I forgot about them for a while (really, I consciously chose to smoke others instead) and then decided to give them a shot again about a month ago. What a difference some time makes! Very enjoyable. Starts off medium with some light notes and evolves into a nice medium/full with plenty of smoke and a nice smooth finish. Has a little "zing" in the last third or so.

Those last two lines are likely what my contribution to the live review would have been, as I'm not sophisticated enough to identify such nuances as stonefruit. On a scale of good to bad, this one is GOOD.