Live partagas Serie D 4 Review

Just into the last third.

Medium full now. Black pepper through the nose, two tier palate of savory spices and charred BBQ. Has certainly delivered a change of pace. Capsicum/bell pepper sweetness on the edges.

post-4-1282097342.jpg

I've definitely tasted some of that charred bbq before in the past. The ones I had from 05 I swear on those I tasted honey bbq sauce, maybe that would be that sweet spice/charred bbq flavor. We'll see if this one develops that.

Last third / follow-up / conclusion.

Molasses, burnt caramel, overlaying a damp smoked woodiness. Last third needed a burn touch up two more times. Developed a black pepper tinge.

I get the capascasium / green pepper / charred BBQ. To me, I don't get the individuals on those, just a great smoked BBQ tone, like a steak grilling on the BBQ, and heavy on the black pepper rub.

Smoke volumes and everything was great. Draw stayed very free-flowing throughout, definitely affected the burn. But, kept it toned down, so as not to let it heat up and turn harsh.

Flavours and body were fairly consistent throughout, building to a bit more of a medium-full to full ending. No harshness or tanginess to end, very well aging, was able to enjoy consistently right to the end.

On the construction/wrapper and flavours, I would have given a 92-93. Draw and burn issues brought it down to a 90. Was still EXTREMELY enjoyable and stayed true to my past experiences with same.

Man, you really chew on your sticks! :o

Yeah, I find I CHOMP :D away when I am smoking and working/typing/surfing the net. You should see what I do to the thing when I play golf and smoke!!!

Also, even though burn and ash was wonky and loose, noticed that ash is fairly well burnt (white w/ light grey). With the D4's, I've noticed that when they're younger and not quite ready, the ash is quite dark grey / pewter, signalling that they need more time to lay down and let the oils and tobacco age more to enable better burning/combustion and therefore flavours.

Very happy of the tones, especially considering the wonky burn and free draw.

Into the 2/3rd now and most of the creaminess is gone. Flavor is predominantly charred bbq with a woody edge, still med-med full in body. I get pepper, prob that black pepper through the nose and just a touch of spice on the finish. Tastes just like a fine Partagas to me. Burn needed just the slightest touch up at this point. Last draw had a real smokiness to it, almost like hickory. I'm drinking an 08 Lehman Shiraz which has complimented the smoke nicely.

At the end.

Full bodied now with bursts of dark cooking chocolate going alongside the charred BBQ.

An excellent cigar all around. It had excellent burn, plentiful smoke, nice interplay and evolution of flavours. Classic D4.

I will give it a 89/90.

Not bad at all for a late 09 D4.

What impressed me most was how the D4's reviewed today were consistent and consistently good. A very good sign.

Thanks for playing gentlemen!

post-4-1282099343.jpg

At the end.

Full bodied now with bursts of dark cooking chocolate going alongside the charred BBQ.

An excellent cigar all around. It had excellent burn, plentiful smoke, nice interplay and evolution of flavours. Classic D4.

I will give it a 89/90.

Not bad at all for a late 09 D4.

What impressed me most was how the D4's reviewed today were consistent and consistently good. A very good sign.

Thanks for playing gentlemen!

post-4-1282099343.jpg

Good times Rob!!!

Last third now for me and it's all spiced, charred woodiness, what I've come to love. Def medium full in body. It's getting a little darker at the back end but maybe the slightly loose draw is to blame. Hardly a touch up needed on the burn. As it sits right now I'd give it a solid 90 and once the flavors meld and that back end blends as it ages I'm thinkin the ones I have are 92-94 potential. Great smoke and I only got this box 3 weeks ago so they could still be settling but the 3 I've had have been stellar. The one thing this review taught me is how much better a smoke can b when you actually focus on it. To many times I grab one with a drink and just forget about the wonderful experience I'm having, taking them for granted maybe. Good stuff and a truly enjoyable cigar, def my favorite robusto. This was fun and I can't wait for the live versions.

The one thing this review taught me is how much better a smoke can b when you actually focus on it. To many times I grab one with a drink and just forget about the wonderful experience I'm having, taking them for granted maybe.

Excellent point and observation. This is one thing that I've found has helped me very much in the past. A bit of focus helps the experience.

I'm actually going to do a thread/topic on this, maybe tomorrow. This point, and someone else's point from the other day, has got me thinking about something that may help others somewhat.

Am I being vague and teasing? Maybe, but...

Speaking of teasing, it's 11pm and I'm off to bed. The game of Scrabble out on the back deck with my wife while this has all been going on, is leading to us having a scrabble to get inside. In her words, "time for a tie-breaker". ;):o:drool:

:coverears::o:D

So, ciao for now fellas.

Cheers.

[Rob - excellent idea on this experience. Neat to see the slight variances, but also the similarities, all in play. Kudos.]

This is my box from 09 which is gone now. This is my last one which I will review tonight. After having some home made creme brulee that the girl made, this cigar would be a nice end to a long day. Great thread BTW Rob, its like were all smoking the same cigar together.

The opening first third was just like how everyone else described, spicy, woody, medium body, with some great tobacco flavors. Very light cream for me.

The second third still has that spice, but the flavors became a bit darker. Coffee bean almost peanut type with some coco, i'm really liking this cigar. Still medium body. The burn is a bit off and the draw is on the tad loose side, but it is getting better as I smoke. The aroma is great. Feels and tastes good through the nose.

I think the last third is the best. Im getting some flavors I cant even explain. Creamy, woody, spice, nutty, that coats the mouth nicely. Im drinking water with this cigar so all i'm tasting is the cigar. Im just loving these tobacco flavors, I have to buy more soon and let some age. This is great for a 09, but i would like to have some aged ones to compare. I have some 05 shorts that are great so i can only imagine how great the D4 is with five years on it. Overall this was a great smoke, all your guys reviews were great. Im right up to the nub and just got some citrus grapefruit flavor, awesome. Laying it down soon so I dont burn my fingers lol. Took an hour for me to smoke. Take care!

post-5853-1282105714.jpg

Great thread and reviews guys. I got my box of D4s from Lisa yesterday, but unfortunately couldn't join in because I've got to work. :( Thought that they were too young to smoke anyway (OPM DIC 09), but those reviews gave me good hope that I will enjoy it regardless of that young age (still gonna put most of them away for some time).

Thanks and have a good night, my day has just begun...

:2thumbs: