Live partagas Serie D 4 Review

Morning/evening gents.

Let's do a review of the Partagas Serie D No 4. If you have one, prepare to light it up and we will review them on this thread.

Mine is a D4 MOA NOV 09

Good looking D4. Well rolled. Nice tobacco coffee aroma at cold.

Will light it up in about 10 minutes.

post-4-1282093083.jpg

Sorry, no "live" picture. Mine is from a June 2008 "PUB" box. Picture of the sticks in my thread in the FOH Pictures of my "collection".

Pre-light: beautiful colour and wrapper (only one point off for a small water spot). Excellent aromas of brown sugar / molasses, and bitter dark chocolate. Mrs. Canuck smelled it, said it seemed "yummy". We're sitting on the back deck, just after sunset now (9:14pm) and just lit up, listening to the crickets, playing "Scrabble" with my wife on the back deck, while I have my cigar and chat on the laptop.

Opening: oh crap. Draw is extremely open - I don't think I've had a D4 like this before. No resistance AT ALL. Too open. But, the flavours are there. Damp leather, earth, dark chocolate. Flavours are lovely to open.

Excellent start.

medium bodied. Cream whisked with smoked paprika. Just a touch of white pepper through the nose. Balanced. Plenty of smoke and draw not as problemsome as expected. Touch of citrus peel. good aftertaste of some quality toasted tobacco.

post-4-1282094647.jpg

Done my first third.

Burn is a bit all over the place, had to correct once so far - probably from being so open.

Medium to medium full body. I do see a bit of charred wood / almost a burnt cinnamon touch in there. Very nice flavour combo at play, the smoke is dense and velvety. Fairly loose ash. But, turning out quite nice.

Well I can't fault the burn. Very well constructed. Have not touched up the burn once.

Just over medium bodied now. Sweetness of the cream given way to a slight charred woodiness. smoked paprika lingering on the edges. Touch of capsicum/ bell pepper.

post-4-1282095820.jpg

Well I can't fault the burn. Very well constructed. Have not touched up the burn once.

Just over medium bodied now. Sweetness of the cream given way to a slight charred woodiness. smoked paprika lingering on the edges. Touch of capsicum/ bell pepper.

post-4-1282095820.jpg

Glad you got the bell pepper... I thought I'd be the only one!!! :D

Sorry a little late to the party but I had to join in. Mine is MOA OCT 09.

Ugly SOB. rough wrapper but nice dark color. This is from an HQ box.

Feels light in the hand and a little soft but the bunching at the foot is spot on.

Upon cutting the draw reveals one that is a littel looser than I like, doesn't have that cuban pull to it, but it is not a wind tunnel. Taste is of cinnamon and tobacco and the smell from the foot smells like sweet chocolate.

First third is med maybe a touch above. Light spice through the nose and I agree with you guys, a touch of creaminess with a little zing, like jalepeno, capsicum maybe and good tobacco with a little woodiness/cedar.

Sorry no pics, I'm not that tech savy.

Done 2/3's.

Touched up the burn twice more - very loose ash, and got a bit of the dreaded "inverted cone".

However, it's not burning hot at all, smoke and flavours are still spot on surprisingly. I just wish it had that "bit" of resistance.

Flavours are medium-full to full. Great profile. Starting to have those dark chocolate / brown sugar tones evolving a bit. Almost have a tone of charred molasses / burnt caramel - kind of like those little, hard molasses-laden caramel squares for halloween candies.

Also getting a slight spice note.

But very smooth, dense, and woody.

Sorry a little late to the party but I had to join in. Mine is MOA OCT 09.

Ugly SOB. rough wrapper but nice dark color. This is from an HQ box.

Feels light in the hand and a little soft but the bunching at the foot is spot on.

Upon cutting the draw reveals one that is a littel looser than I like, doesn't have that cuban pull to it, but it is not a wind tunnel. Taste is of cinnamon and tobacco and the smell from the foot smells like sweet chocolate.

First third is med maybe a touch above. Light spice through the nose and I agree with you guys, a touch of creaminess with a little zing, like jalepeno, capsicum maybe and good tobacco with a little woodiness/cedar.

Sorry no pics, I'm not that tech savy.

Mine's the same factory code and month. You're review is almost exactly like mine...good to know!! Expect I thought mine wrapper was good

Just into the last third.

Medium full now. Black pepper through the nose, two tier palate of savory spices and charred BBQ. Has certainly delivered a change of pace. Capsicum/bell pepper sweetness on the edges.

post-4-1282097342.jpg

1st third is done and the flavor has started to melt together. Cedary and alot creamier than the couple others I've had from this box. There is still some spice through the nose but not overpowering and every couple pulls yield a sweet spice taste in the mouth. Still med-med full. I will say I'm smokin this one outside and the couple wafts of smoke I've gotten were really nice, reminds me of a chocolaty sweetness with cedar mixed in. Nice mouthfeel too. Long finish.