Back from a Long Weekend Camping

Not really camping. Due to some forecast poor weather I took a cabin at lake Boondoomba which is a favourite fishing locale of myself and the kids 4hrs north west of Brisbane.

My youngest Tom (9) joined us for the first time so it was myself and my two sons. My daughter (13) decided it would be a good time (safe) to have her friends for a sleepover at home while dad was away. The midnight "pantless" run by myself to get a drink from the kitchen during her last attempt at friends sleeping over still cuts deep.

We have a rule that kids are ready for camping when they can leave the Teddy Bear at home. Upon unpacking we noticed a stowaway. Tom hid a bear in his bag located by Ben (eldest). No big deal but Tom insisted it fell into his bag accidentally. he gave it to me for safekeeping.

Kids like a bonfire. Unfortunately some rain made the timber wet so it needed some help....a little petrol goes a long way. Much like my cooking which is done with ample ingredients...I may have put a little too much petrol on the timber. "Whoooosh"....currently sporting burns to my hand and legs but nothing serious. kids fine......I wouldn't have gone home otherwise.

I learnt a few things this trip.

1. If you forget to bring marshmallows...you can't roast mars bars as they fall off the stick and into the fire.

2. Outboard motors are prone to failure if you haven't used them in 6 months.

3. Back up electric motors work best on recharged batteries.

4. Paddling a 5 meter canoe for 6 kilometers complete with non working outboard and electric motors, full gear and 220 kilo's of humans is tough work.

5. Check, double check, an check again to ensure you have cigars. Left them on Lisa's desk.

Had a great weekend! Returned late last night to find that we left Tom's Teddy behind. Wife now believes it was a plot. Tom traumatized.

Father of the year nomination unlikely :cofcig:

Rob! Thank you for this post! Just my 5 cents. The harsh Australian winter is not a reason to abandon a nice camping weekend :pod:

If you still have not forgotten yours cigars, then make sure that the matches were in a dry place :cofcig:

I hope that Tom is OK and recover after trauma? Yeah! After this post not only yours wife believe that it was a plot)) Glad to see you well!

Just think of it as an adventure Rob

You know in years to come you will look back on the whole episode and laugh about it

The important thing is that your kids had fun, you will look back on it as a great adventure and say " do you remember the time "

Cheers

It’ll all be forgotten once the burns heal.

I remember when my teddy bear suddenly disappeared. Actually a chipmunk named Alvin.

I guess they were more abundant than your average bear back than.....

Has anyone seen him???

The midnight "pantless" run by myself to get a drink from the kitchen during her last attempt at friends sleeping over still cuts deep.

:D

Had a great weekend! Returned late last night to find that we left Tom's Teddy behind. Wife now believes it was a plot. Tom traumatized.

Father of the year nomination unlikely :D

LOL :)

Funny stuff.

It still looks like you had a great time and thats what counts.

1. If you forget to bring marshmallows...you can't roast mars bars as they fall off the stick and into the fire.

2. Outboard motors are prone to failure if you haven't used them in 6 months.

3. Back up electric motors work best on recharged batteries.

4. Paddling a 5 meter canoe for 6 kilometers complete with non working outboard and electric motors, full gear and 220 kilo's of humans is tough work.

5. Check, double check, an check again to ensure you have cigars. Left them on Lisa's desk.

B) BUT, ;)

Rob, I am , REALLY , very pleased to have made your aquaintance in these

last few years. you have truly pepped up my moral knowing that I'm

not the only one who does things like that and I'm not alone in this cruel world.

I will now go and make myself a drink in your honor and again, show my wife one of your

lastest threads because she still has a hard time believing that I'm not the only one

like that :lol:

MERCI .

Update.

Teddy bear located by camping ground manager and now on way back via mail to the office.

Tom thrilled but concerned the trip by mail may be traumatic for the bear. Asked if I could do the 8 hour round trip and pick him up.

I agreed.

If the bear doesn't arrive by mail tomorrow I am in trouble :huh:

Sell this story to National Lampoon as the outline for the next vacation movie!

There is more than a passing resemblance of Rob's vacation misadventures to Clark W. Griswold's. Come to think of it, Rob is lot like Clark; accident prone, susceptible to attractive women (despite being devoted to his wife), a hapless bumbler, and all attempts to provide a fun vacation for his family backfire. :P

Anyone up for a new movie, Friends Of Habanos: Cuban Vacation!

Anyone up for a new movie, Friends Of Habanos: Cuban Vacation!

Forget the movie....it should be a "Reality" series.

......it wouldn't screen before 11pm and banned in most countries :P

Update.

Teddy bear located by camping ground manager and now on way back via mail to the office.

Tom thrilled but concerned the trip by mail may be traumatic for the bear. Asked if I could do the 8 hour round trip and pick him up.

I agreed.

If the bear doesn't arrive by mail tomorrow I am in trouble :P

Putting your faith in Australia Post........ouch! :D