Sent by a good Singaporean mate.

LET me see if I understand all this...

IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR.

IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.

IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.

IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.

IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.

IF YOU CROSS THE AUSTRALIAN BOARDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET A JOB, A DRIVERS LICENSE, PENSION CARD, WELFARE, CREDIT CARDS, SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE, FREE EDUCATION AND FREE HEALTH CARE.

IF YOU CROSS THE AUSTRALIAN BOARDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET A JOB, A DRIVERS LICENSE, PENSION CARD, WELFARE, CREDIT CARDS, SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE, FREE EDUCATION AND FREE HEALTH CARE.

Thought your country was fairly notorious (at least in liberal circles) for rounding up the illegals and putting them in a fairly hard-core detention camps, some in far flung places in the Pacific such as Christmas Island?

Here in the UK, we really are the soft touch, particularly if you are foreign, don't work and have a big family: -

Afghan mother of 7 living in £1.3M home funded by the taxpayer

Thought your country was fairly notorious (at least in liberal circles) for rounding up the illegals and putting them in a fairly hard-core detention camps, some in far flung places in the Pacific such as Christmas Island?

Change of Govt in 07 and a change in policy. People smugglers are back in business.

One piece of advice though to anyone considering this.

Bring your own beer.

:rotfl:

I heard a figure that for each boat that sails across our boarders it cost the Australian people

$3,000,000.

To date Mr Rudd has let around 133 of these boats in.

People who have been in the waiting cue for legal immigration for years have been pushed to the back of the cue so Mr. Rudd can look like a nice guy to the UN.

He was voted in for no other reason than it was time for a change.

I think this proves one thing.

All of us old buggers who hate change should be taken notice of more often.

Better the devil you know than the self serving media obsessed fool that you don't.

I heard a figure that for each boat that sails across our boarders it cost the Australian people

$3,000,000.

To date Mr Rudd has let around 133 of these boats in.

People who have been in the waiting cue for legal immigration for years have been pushed to the back of the cue so Mr. Rudd can look like a nice guy to the UN.

He was voted in for no other reason than it was time for a change.

I think this proves one thing.

All of us old buggers who hate change should be taken notice of more often.

Better the devil you know than the self serving media obsessed fool that you don't.

(cue creepy music)

Very similar situation here. Our President is vowing to fight the enforcement of immigration laws. I'm afraid he'll get his way yet again.

Here in the UK, we really are the soft touch, particularly if you are foreign, don't work and have a big family: -

Afghan mother of 7 living in £1.3M home funded by the taxpayer

links not working!!!!!

Ha! You lose!

If you do that in Finland you'll get pretty much all the same plus we even fly all your family here for free and they get the same benefits too. Also, we don't really check if your "family" really are your family. Just name 20 friends and say they're your step brothers or whatever and they'll pass. What a land of dummies we are. :2thumbs:

If you do that in Finland you'll get pretty much all the same plus we even fly all your family here for free and they get the same benefits too. Also, we don't really check if your "family" really are your family. Just name 20 friends and say they're your step brothers or whatever and they'll pass. What a land of dummies we are.

Same here! :2thumbs:

And If you complain about the current system you´re an ignorant racist-fascist-nazi...

Seems like the stupidness remains even though our countries have been parted since 1809.

Pretty soon the real estate adds over here will read something like.

For sale.

One three bedroom cottage, suit renovation.

Views across to the Minarets give an old world charm.

In Russia it's basically completely the opposite. Though Russia is second only to the US in terms of immigration (which I think is a positive thing), there are also many many illegals skipping the border. But they do not get the kind of treatment you're all talking about here. They live lives of extreme poverty and degradation until they've caught, beaten, processed and sent home, only to reappear in a couple of months time.

I think this also isn't the right approach. In any case, someone's gonna make it across your border. Although the Western approach is extreme (giving them homes, importing their families etc.), the Russian way is much worse as it creates massive social problems.

I think this also isn't the right approach. In any case, someone's gonna make it across your border. Although the Western approach is extreme (giving them homes, importing their families etc.), the Russian way is much worse as it creates massive social problems.

Kangaroo, it's not as easy everywhere in the West as this thread leads one to believe. Not sure about Sweden but thought the country was trying to follow Denmark, ie making it very difficult for thirld world migrants to move in. We have a lot of migrants in France stuck here illegally waiting for a way to move to the UK. They are not welcome there and the UK government is working on not letting them go through. in France either life is not that easy for illegal imigrants, and they definetely can't bring in their family legally. Even legal immigrants face serious dificulties regrouping with their family left back home. Not that I'm particulary liberal , but reading some posters here, one might believe those immigrants have a better life than the locals or the legal migrants, which is outrageous.

sounds like the us, although one of the states here passed a law that illegals can now be arrested by local law enforcement, not just the feds. all the immigrant rights groups here are howling about how unfair it is, how it is racial profiling, etc etc.

makes me sick. but the us i think is even more liberal than aus about it, at least in aus they will put some of the ones they detain in a detention center. over here jail maybe, but most definitely not a detention center.

...one might believe those immigrants have a better life than the locals or the legal migrants, which is outrageous.

True facts. Some people just need "others" to blame for their lot in life.

I have nothing against helping people from other countries who need to get out of a bad situation.

The problem is that the way it's handled by the government often puts the resident population off side.

Public housing is one case in point.

The people coming over here in boats are being put in housing ahead of Australian born residents who have been waiting in a cue for sometimes years.

The other problem is that the government have I believe all but stopped checking the backgrounds of the people coming in.

In some of the suburbs around Brisbane we have gangs of Sudanese youths menacing people on the streets.

I have seen these gangs myself and it leads me to ask what are we allowing this government to do to our country.

I realize that some of these people have come from countries where they have known little but violence and deprivation but it does not mean that they should be allowed to carry on with this kind of behavior when they come to live here. If we don't do enough to encourage these people to assimilate all we are doing is importing future prison inmates.

Warren, questions about which immigrants will blend better in the host country are probably legitimate, and I understand resentment over those most reluctant to even behave politely while getting refugee status and enjoying a bunch of social benefits. Especially to the other migrants who remain in illegality but who mostly want to make a decent living without causing troubles, it doesn't sound fair at all. Immigrants from Africa don't seem to fare particulary well.

I have a question adressed specifically to the Aussies btw : what went wrong with the lebanese over there ?? They are possibly the most succesful minority worldwide yet seem to clash with the locals in australia ? What happened ?

As of the refugees issues, although I'm not following those as closely as 6/10 years ago, there is a lot of hypocrisie from western governments, which will grant them political asylum and some benefits if they succeed in landing in their country but will work great lengths so that it doesn't happen, often looking into ways to have them arrested and detained in a middle country they use for transit.