2007 Saint Luis Rey Double Corona Reviews

For comparison purposes, tonight I fired up an example from SML DIC05.

The verdict? Superb! This cigar was delightful from the first draws all the way down to the nub. It drew and burned well, and delivered the classic SLR DC profile: toasted tobacco and mild baking spices, with a strong dried apricot note throughout. Some orange zest and tangy cardamom as well. A long, sweet finish that reminded me of an apricot spice cake.

Can't beat this one. An easy 94. I suspect the ENE07's will get there in another year or two.

Year 3 review.....

I’ve had this cigar for several weeks, stored at fairly low humidity (approx 60-62%)

Medium colorado wrapper, moderate veins, uniformly firm.

The cigar is heavy in the hand, it feels a bit TOO heavy for a DC and I fear the draw will be a problem. This is why I stored the cigar at a lower humidity for several weeks before smoking.

There is a small tear on the wrapper that had to be fixed, a bit of pectin and a piece of wrapper harvested from a Sig II did the trick.

My fears about the draw were realized after clipping the cigar…the draw is indeed difficult, but still the cigar is still smokeable.

The draw opens up a bit once lit, which is a surprise as this doesn’t usually happen for me.

First third starts off with cocoa and bread/toast flavors. It begins as a light bodied cigar, with low smoke volume. There’s a distinct milk chocolate smell coming from the cut head of the cigar.

Working through the first-third, it becomes clear that this cigar has fairly bland flavors. I wonder if the cigar is under humidified.

Finishing up the first-third, there’s a little sweetness coming through, however, for the most part the flavors are muted...they’re trying to come through but having difficulty. I find that taking harder draws dials up the intensity but unfortunately not the flavor.

At this point it’s a mild to medium bodied smoke, with a little spice and light cocoa flavor.

The cigar has a fairly even burn and is well-mannered, but is not holding my attention.

Into second third....some nondescript flavors, muted and bland. Still wondering if the humidity is the issue. The flavors not developing...a faint mild tobacco sweetness, but not much more at this point.

Into the final third….still no changes to report, muted, bland and one-dimensional.

Overall, disappointing compared to last years smoke. I suspect it’s just a fluke as I seem to recall my experience a year ago being very good.

Eric, your review mirrored my experience in the vid review with Ken. So bloody disappointing considering the polarized reviews....exceptional or to be honest...awful.

The great Habanos challenge...consistency <_<

It is interesting to see the level of variation coming out of one cabinet of cigars. I guess it confirms what CC smokers have complained about the most when it comes to their beloved cigars...consistency continues to be lacking!

I beleive there are two cabinets in this study, right? If that is the case and 100 cigars are in the study the question is how many different rollers might have made those 100 sticks. I beleive that this is the greastest cause for inconsistancies.

The above review by GTS21 sounds a like a tight cigar not burning well so the flavors will always be muted or off. If it don't burn right there ain't no hope. :P

I beleive there are two cabinets in this study, right? If that is the case and 100 cigars are in the study the question is how many different rollers might have made those 100 sticks. I beleive that this is the greastest cause for inconsistancies.

mel, the cigars rob and i used for the vid came from the same cab but i am not certain whether those sent for this year's test also came from it. but you are spot on re the inconsistency and it goes back to the suggestion i posted a while back about moving to a system of an individual roller being responsible for an individual box. not holding my breath.

mel, the cigars rob and i used for the vid came from the same cab but i am not certain whether those sent for this year's test also came from it. but you are spot on re the inconsistency and it goes back to the suggestion i posted a while back about moving to a system of an individual roller being responsible for an individual box. not holding my breath.

Roller's Choise, now that would be a great special from Habanos! It would put the spotlight on the roller and might give some push towards better quality as well. :unsure:

I've been shadowing the reviews of the SLR DC´s by smoking from a cab of my own and I heartily agree on the variation within a cab. I had a DC yesterday that was disappointing in every respect, but the one before that was stunning. My hope is that aging will level the field but in the meantime I'll smoke from other cabs with more age.

Roller's Choise, now that would be a great special from Habanos! It would put the spotlight on the roller and might give some push towards better quality as well. :drool:

I've been shadowing the reviews of the SLR DC´s by smoking from a cab of my own and I heartily agree on the variation within a cab. I had a DC yesterday that was disappointing in every respect, but the one before that was stunning. My hope is that aging will level the field but in the meantime I'll smoke from other cabs with more age.

there is quite a long posts from members on just that - somewhere.

i was planning on an 05 SLR DC tonight for the first state of origin game but i know that whatever i smoke is irrelevant as i take no notice of it at all (might as well be banana leaves) so might not waste one.

• 1 month later...