What temperature is TOO high?

Freddy

I still wonder how people used to smoke cigars before the wine fridge humi was invented. Surely for decades people in Malaysia, Queensland, etc have been smoking cigars and enjoying them without ever having contemplated temperature control systems.

I have a wine fridge, but never turn it on, but the climate here is not warm.

If you are living in a hot climate, and you switch on your wine fridge, there's a high chance that condensation will form inside the fridge. This (I believe) is caused by a large difference between the temperature outside the fridge and the temperature inside. This, obviously, opens a whole new can of worms.

Other than a possible bug problem (which I would think can be avoided by buying from reputable retailers), I never heard of a "hot cigar" having a different/bad taste.

@Bster - basements I think are ideal for humidors. So your idea is a good one.

There are few things in cigars that scare me more than beetles. I keep my cigars in my basement where it stays a pretty constant 60 degrees to hopefully ensure I never get an outbreak. With that said, in my old house my humidor used to get as high as 85 degrees in the summer. I never had any signs of beetles for the five years that I was there. The only experience I have had with beetles is when my friend bought a bunch of fakes in Cancun. He tried to give me a bundle and was offended when I told him they were not authentic. I'm glad I declined because weeks later his humidor was crawling with the wretched beasts. I guess the counterfeiters forgot to freeze that batch of cigars. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Anything above 70 degrees for extended periods of time would worry me. This is with long term storage in mind. If you have a small collection, and smoke thru your boxes as you buy them, it is not as critical, IMO.

If you intend on aging boxes for 10+ years, then temperature becomes more critical for storage.

• 1 year later...

Mine fluctuates all over the place depending on the season. In the summer it's pretty much always in the range of 75 - 85 and I've never had a problem. I use a 50/50 mix to make sure I never get mould. In the summer I have to remove a few of the humidifiers and in the winter I have to add them back in.

if my desktop humi is hitting about 82 deg F, is there anything that I can put in the desktop to lower the temp? There isn't another room in my apt that is cooler.

RH is pretty consistent at 65%

You can buy cheap air fans with inbuilt water/ice compartments. About £30 here. You just dump ice or water into the unit and the fans blow out air which is cooled by being drawn through that. Just have one in the room with your cigars and lower the temp of that room and the humidor should drop too.

LINK

Ignore the price, I just grabbed the first icebox cooler unit..thing :D

If it worries you that much, maybe you could just shrink wrap the humidor and put it in the fridge while you are away. I haven't tried this but the shrink wrap should eliminate the chance of the fridge drying out your sticks.

I'd be careful trying to cool your humi. A couple of summers ago I placed my desktop humi inside an icebox with some ice. I sealed and wrapped the ice in plastic, and then in a towel. When I next opened the humi the wood on the lid was saturated, even though it hadn't come in direct contact with the ice/water. Very lucky my sticks weren't ruined.