First Cuban

All valuable advice given by FOH thus far.

All I can add is to stay away from the EL's and the RE's..... for now. In fact, the LE's and RE's are a point of debate with a lot of habanophiles. One argument is that it is a marketing ploy with no merit to their special naming. One thing that no one can argue is that it carries a heftier price tag. And the financial burden of buying these is the main reason why you might want to stay away for a while. Trust me, you're gonna need a bit of moolah to explore the different marcas and their flagship vitolas.

Have fun!

I don't want to get in the middle of an argument, but since I started getting a regular diet of CC's (rather than just the occasional treat they used to be for me), I desire fewer and fewer NC's, but I'm actually spending less and smoking more... and definitely smoking better.

I have found quite a few affordable CC's that absolutely blow away most much more expensive NC's. To be fair, I've also found a few well priced NC's that do too.

Yep, there are still several NC's in my regular rotation (and not necessarily expensive ones), but I've also tossed out or gifted a whole bunch that I realized were a waste of time (many of which were relatively costly). There are very few CC's I'd categorize as a waste of time.

QUOTE (laficion @ Apr 6 2010, 06:19 PM)

OH, and by the way, elsewhere in this big wide world, there is no such thing as,"the dark side" when talking about Habanos.

But what about the new Monte Maduros? (j/k)

Touché jacksfull, :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh you did real well brother. The BBF(Bolivar Belicoso Fino) was one of my first Cuban cigars and I have loved it ever since. You got some of the good stuff. Good smokin mate.

Don't thank uncle sam - it's your money.

Colt is right...they should have been thanking you for letting them borrow your money interest free in 2009.

Well after six days in the humidor, I couldn't take the wait any longer. After a long Saturday at work I came home and felt that the time was right to break my CC cherry. I chose for my first sacrifice the Monte #4, I knew that chances were that this was a safe choice. Got it out of the 10 box (EAB MAR 09). Now given that this is the most widley distributed Habanos cigar there probably isn't much I can add so her it goes.

Beautiful wrapper, nice presentation. Cold aroma was beautiful sweet tobacco that made my mouth water. Had a little trouble with the cut, despite a week at 68% rh it seemed to be a little over humidified causing the cutter to pinch the tip and I had to take two more very delicate cuts and remove a piece of tobacco with my finger tip. Cold draw was sweet and I caught a flavor of dried fruit, particularly raisin.

Once lit it presented a rich and creamy light body draw was surprisingly good, as I had feared the worst after the cutting issue. Stayed pretty straightforward sweet tobacco and nuts through the first third, as it progressed a nice cedar built up in the retro-hale that brought me from light body into medium. Flavors didn't change much but remained pleasant. Started to taste young and a little harsh in the final third and finally surrendered with about 3/4 inch left. It paired really well with the New Orleans style coffee and chicory that I enjoyed with it.

Overall I was very pleased with the experience; the weather was perfect, the kids were in bed and I was joined by my wife through the final half. I will definitely look forward to enjoying many more Habanos in the future.

post-6452-1272247676.jpg

I smoke a good bit and have smoked many top non cubans box after box and currently blast through about 4 boxes a month of CC's . I find it hard to believe many experienced smokers would disagree with me.

"You can pick up a non cuban off the shelf and smoke it right away and it wont taste much different 2 months down the road nor does the humidity matter"

Humidity doesn't matter? Do you keep your NCs in a humidor? You think most experienced smokers would agree that it doesn't matter what humidity you store Nicaraguan cigars in?

Hello everyone. Been Lurking around these boards for a few years now. And after reading the orginal poster's first experience in ordering I decided to do the same.

e-mailed Lisa and she put together a nice sample of cigars. Now just waiting for those to arrive.

I must yes Thank You for your help Lisa, and I'm already looking at what my next order should be.

How are the Monty # 2's smoking these days???

-G

All valuable advice given by FOH thus far.

All I can add is to stay away from the EL's and the RE's..... for now. In fact, the LE's and RE's are a point of debate with a lot of habanophiles. One argument is that it is a marketing ploy with no merit to their special naming. One thing that no one can argue is that it carries a heftier price tag. And the financial burden of buying these is the main reason why you might want to stay away for a while. Trust me, you're gonna need a bit of moolah to explore the different marcas and their flagship vitolas.

Have fun!

:D *Wha- what-?? Stay away from limited and regional editions??? But...but, I LIVE for smoking those. Thay t'ain't that bad! In fact, they've been pretty lengthy and lasting in smoking time and in flavor. They're exciting to obtain when you can find them at good specials, prices and so on. On the regular habanos circuit - you can never go wrong with Punch Punch corona gordas size habanos and El Rey del Mundos that AREN'T the robusto size...if you want consistent flavor that's not going to be gone in 3 puffs. Try Romeo Y Julietas when you find the size you're looking for also.

Hello everyone. Been Lurking around these boards for a few years now. And after reading the orginal poster's first experience in ordering I decided to do the same.

e-mailed Lisa and she put together a nice sample of cigars. Now just waiting for those to arrive.

I must yes Thank You for your help Lisa, and I'm already looking at what my next order should be.

-G

Thats what it's all about, enjoy

How are the Monty # 2's smoking these days???

-G

Good luck with that. Stay away from Monte 2s for the time being - too risky. Reason is:

1. You could be disappointed due to inconsistency issues

2. You could be overwhelmingly impressed, in which case you will spend a lot of time "chasing the dragon" (as another poster put it) to find the next impressive one.

Or you could just ask Rob for a decent box. :angry: