First Cuban

Good day all, I hope that everyone had a happy and healthy easter season. I have been enjoying cigars for some time now and recently joined this forum after hearing about it on Dogwatch Cigar Radio podcast. I must say that I have thouroughly enjoyed the friendly nature and approachability of the folks here on FOH. Until now I have only been smoking non Cubans given my location. Most of my favorites are from Nicaragua and the Dominican Oliva, Nub, Padron, and Fuente being my current "go to" cigars. I was hoping for some suggestions on where to start in the world of Habanos. Some things to keep in mind;

Smokes good young, as a first timer I will be anxious to get a collection started for aging but would like to get into and enjoy what I get in the beginning.

Time Constraints, as a restaurant operator and father of three great kids I very, very seldom get enough time to enjoy a Churcill or Double Corona so something in the 45min-1:15 rang is the perfexct size for me

Money, as most of you probably know three kids can cut into a cigar budget faster than a hot knife through butter.

Thank you all for your time.

Smoke in health.

Hi JMac, am sure the gang at Czar would be happy to put together a sampler of goodies based on tour tastes, budget, preferred sizes etc...personally I go to Partagas Shorts, San Cristobal de La Habana El Principe and Diplomaticos n05 for short, everyday smokes - they rarely let me down....enjoy and let us know what you discover...

JMac, Paddy set you on the right course. The folks at Czar are wonderful and they will take the time to get you started off right. I, too, would recommend letting them put together a sampler of some classic CC singles and what is smoking well now. I tried around 50 - 60 different singles before I started buying by the box. You need to find what suites your tastes before worrying about setting some down to age. If you just ask the forum members, you will get a hundred different answers, as everyone has different preferences.

As for my recommendations, it is tough to go wrong with most from the Partagas, Bolivar, Cohiba, and H. Upmann marcas. There are classics in most every marca, so take your time and work through those, too.

Welcome to the dark side :) and happy smokes,

Rob S.

Good suggestions above, including contacting the Czar's folks for their ideas.

While this won't exactly match what you've written as your preferences above, I would suggest that:

-Montecristo No. 2

-Montecristo No. 4

-RyJ Churchill

-Hoyo Double Corona

-Cohiba Robusto

-Partagas Lusitania

-Partagas Serie D No. 4

are all "classic" vitolas, and worth checking out.

If your experience is anything like mine, you'll like most of them, and as time goes on, find cigars that you'll like even better. :)

I understand your time restraint and bang for your buck. I've always found great luck with: Juan Lopez Selecion No.2 and Partagas Serie D No.4. You'll want to ask the Czar staff what is smoking well though. They're the best at it! Great to meet you and welcome!

RASS, Choix Supreme, El Principe...

The RASS are smoking really well FoB (fresh out of the box) as are the Choix.

-- Gary F.

Gary took the words right out of my mouth here.

Being a fan of Nicaraguans when smoking NC's myself, and as one who shares similar time & budget constraints, I'd particularly recommend:

Ramon Allones: Small Club Coronas

Bolivar: Petit Coronas & Coronas Jr.

Partagas: Shorts & Petit Coronas Especial

Por Larranaga: Petit Coronas

Montecristo: No. 4 & No. 5

All of these have, shall we say, "some meat on their bones", even being petite coronas and tres petite coronas (some more than others, though). You're not a beginner and the NC's you mentioned are fuller ones too, so you should be pretty well equipped to jump right on into these Medium-Full to Full bodied choices, and, I suspect, be much the happier for it.

There are, of course, also many other CC's I enjoy. Larger ring gauges are not the necessity in CC's quite the same way they sometimes are with NC's, but if you're inclined to stretch just a bit into Robustos (size, time & budget-wise), try:

Ramon Allones: Specially Selected

Bolivar: Royal Coronas

Romeo y Julieta: Short Churchill

Partagas: Serie D No. 4

San Louis Rey: Regios

Oh man your about to be ruined. I hope your stash of NCs(Non Cubans) is not to big because they are going to age a while once you get the Cubans going.

I asked Rob to put together a sampler than would showcase the range of Cuban cigars and he did a bangup job for me, I'm sure he will for you also.

Oh man your about to be ruined. I hope your stash of NCs(Non Cubans) is not to big because they are going to age a while once you get the Cubans going.

I asked Rob to put together a sampler than would showcase the range of Cuban cigars and he did a bangup job for me, I'm sure he will for you also.

So how were the Guantanamera's and Veguero's?

I'll still need something to hand out to friends

Being a fan of Nicaraguans when smoking NC's myself, and as one who shares similar time & budget constraints, I'd particularly recommend:

Ramon Allones: Small Club Coronas

Bolivar: Petit Coronas & Coronas Jr.

Partagas: Shorts & Petit Coronas Especial

Por Larranaga: Petit Coronas

Montecristo: No. 4 & No. 5

jacksfull beat me to it :)

That's exactly what I was going to advise you, Petit Coronas, small but full

and they will give you an excellent Idea on what's out there in the world of Habanos.

Welcome to FOH and enjoy yourself :D

OH, and by the way, elsewhere in this big wide world, there is no such thing as,"the dark side"

when talking about Habanos. ;)

Hi JMac

Monte 4 were a main stay when I started smoking many years ago, then I went off them due to inconsistancies. They seem to have come back of late according to FOH - may be worth trying them again!

Since like youself time / budget constraints, the following are in my current rotation:

Ramon Allones SCC - when the draw is right, a flavour bomb for their size

Por Larranga PC - have been a consistant great smoke

Dip 4 - great creamy flavours

Over the last few years have delved into the robusto's

Ramon Allones SS

SLR - Regios, brought these on Rob' recommendation - have been fantastic for the price.

Like yourself, I tried some NC over the years, but have always come back to the cubans, and have been trying different vitolas.

The wonderful thing about cigars, is that there are always great smokes to try, and the crew at Czars are always there to assist.

Enjoy and happy smoking.

Joker :D

Another vote here for the Monte 4 - I got a HQ box of these early in the year, and every one so far has been fantastic. I've heard about problems with inconsistency, but so far for me this has proven to be a wonderful cigar.

Thanks to all

Placed my first order last night from a handful of Rob's Mix and Match sampler. Will definitely report back.

:2thumbs:

It seems we have somewhat similar taste in NC, so may be my notes will be of some value. I'm just getting into CCs myself.

1. Do not expect an eye-opening experience. It is not there. Over anticipation will completely turn you off of CCs.

2. Expect to pay more for CCs than you do for NCs. I've got 3 kids and a mortgage as well, so I know how painful it is.

3. It will take a bit of time to start "getting" cuban tabaco. IMHO, it is not better or worse, just another kind of basic flavour profile. Think dominican vs nicaraguan, in the most general terms

4. The draw on CC is much more restricted, in general. Chances of getting a stick you have to work on instead of enjoying are MUCH higher.

5. Try as many markas/vitolas as possible before deciding what you like. Many if not most markas are VERY inconsistent and the variance between cigars is very prominent, so you cannot ever decide anything on the basis of one example. Some markas are more consistent than others. In my limited experience, Montecristo is inconsistent to the ridiculous degree. I would never buy a box.

6. Each vitola seems to be blended separately. Think Illusione.

What I have enjoyed so far consistently

Punch PC del Punch

Partagas Short

Bolivar PC

Diplomaticos #4 is nice and consistent, just not my cup of tee

I still like many NC much better than anything I've tasted in CC so far. Please note that I've no experience with RE/LE editions since their cost is prohibitive for me and I don't think ANY cigar is worth over $10 on ongoing basis.

Just my 2c. Hope it helps.

4. of the above post by Danashan is pure truth. CC are not nearly as well made as the ones from Dominica and Nicaragua.

His advice is worth much more than 2cent.

I think in addition to listening to suggestions, you should take that list of cigars that you might be interested and then take some time and check them out in the review forum and the video review forum to learn more about each cigar. it will be easier to get an idea of what you want to try and might wait to try, as opposed to buying some stuff and then a week later having a completly different list of stuff you want to try

I'll say this... cuba does not make as well constructed cigars as the other islands however the cuban tobacco is clearly superior to the others in terms of the actual raw material. They are not even close.

when you get a cuban that is not seasoned or too humid or too dry they are the nastiest thing you can put in your mouth. I am sure allot of people that think nic and dom cigars taste better have clearly never tried a CC seasoned. They become a completely different cigar once they have sat and reached the optimum condition going from nasty harsh to rich sweet and beautiful.

You can pick up a non cuban off the shelf and smoke it right away and it wont taste much different 2 months down the road nor does the humidity matter but if you are getting into cubans and want to taste them as they were meant to taste be prepared for a long process of learning and some disappointment here and there. The problem is when you light that first one that is "on" you will spend a fortune chasing the dragon from there on out.

I'll say this... cuba does not make as well constructed cigars as the other islands however the cuban tobacco is clearly superior to the others in terms of the actual raw material. They are not even close.

when you get a cuban that is not seasoned or too humid or too dry they are the nastiest thing you can put in your mouth. I am sure allot of people that think nic and dom cigars taste better have clearly never tried a CC seasoned. They become a completely different cigar once they have sat and reached the optimum condition going from nasty harsh to rich sweet and beautiful.

You can pick up a non cuban off the shelf and smoke it right away and it wont taste much different 2 months down the road nor does the humidity matter but if you are getting into cubans and want to taste them as they were meant to taste be prepared for a long process of learning and some disappointment here and there. The problem is when you light that first one that is "on" you will spend a fortune chasing the dragon from there on out.

I completely disagree with everything, but the last sentence.

I age my NCs and know how to maintain my cigars in proper order. My personal experience completely contradicts yours, but it is just my personal experience, not god given truth.

My other 2 cents.

I completely disagree with everything, but the last sentence.

I age my NCs and know how to maintain my cigars in proper order. My personal experience completely contradicts yours, but it is just my personal experience, not god given truth.

My other 2 cents.

I smoke a good bit and have smoked many top non cubans box after box and currently blast through about 4 boxes a month of CC's . I find it hard to believe many experienced smokers would disagree with me.

Sounds like a great poll topic though. :huh:

Cheers!