Mold vs. Bloom (Plume)

Hi Guys,

OK, I hate to always be the one to dig up bones and re-ask all of the age old questions, but here goes. Mold vs. Bloom (Plume). I am sick of arguing with my (X) friends/cigar buddies here in Florida over this, so sick in fact that I purchased a digital photographic microscope (Please don’t EVER get into an argument with me!). I have seen many pictures of mold vs. bloom on forums and sites, but I need the expert opinion of my new found resource and friends here on FOH. The attached photos (sorry, still learning how to focus this Damn thing) are of the H. Upmann Robusto that was released in the Travel Humidor with 6 stogies. I bought from 2 different sources, and both have this “GROWTH” on them. I know it looks ugly up close (don’t make the mistake of using this camera to look up your nose, you won’t eat for a week!) but most things do when you are at this distance. The photos are of the same area on the cigar, some before, and some after a light brushing with my finger. It came off completely, which I think is bloom, but man it looks bad up close. Come on you junior scientists, put on your research hats and give me that good input I am used to getting here!!

Thanks,

post-6377-1269817223.jpg

post-6377-1269817616.jpg

post-6377-1269817661.jpg

post-6377-1269817689.jpg

post-6377-1269817742.jpg

post-6377-1269817789.jpg

post-6377-1269817841.jpg

post-6377-1269817895.jpg

post-6377-1269817930.jpg

post-6377-1269817977.jpg

post-6377-1269818013.jpg

Found this...

"Visually cigar mold is more “fuzy” or “hairy”. If the scientist in you so wishes to see the spots up close you should really notice that there is a definitive structure to the mold. There will be stalks holding up additional spores that are waiting to “jump” and contaminate anything and everything nearby (isolate the infected cigars ASAP). Growth wise the cigar mold will grow in small clusters that causes a spotted look unlike bloom / plume that will cover the entire cigar."

Plume is the result of the dehydration of oils that come to the surface. Think of the salt on your skin after heavy activity in the sun. When the moisture evaporates you get that gritty feeling on the skin. In wines you could think of tartrates crystallizing out of white wine when exposed to prolonged cold.

Great pictures by the way, especially that first one. Couldn't find a better match to the description of mold.

Plume is the result of the dehydration of oils that come to the surface. Think of the salt on your skin after heavy activity in the sun. When the moisture evaporates you get that gritty feeling on the skin. In wines you could think of tartrates crystallizing out of white wine when exposed to prolonged cold.

Can also be seen on chocolate-bars and cookies that has been stored in rapidly changing temperatures. A white residue on the surface of the chocolate. Doesnt affect the taste whatsoever. In the food industry we just call it blooming.

By the way: Awsome pictures and quite disgusting! :cigar: Looks like mold to me with them "tentacles"...

I've usually just wiped/isolated/smoked cigars with minor mold, but after seeing those pics, not sure I want that stuff around my mouth and nose anymore.

On the other hand, we all regularly contact icky stuff we can't see anyway.

I have no idea but the photos kick ass! Take some more!

Thanks, it doesn't take much to egg me on for more!! :D

Colt, where are you...I want your opinion!

Can also be seen on chocolate-bars and cookies that has been stored in rapidly changing temperatures. A white residue on the surface of the chocolate. Doesnt affect the taste whatsoever. In the food industry we just call it blooming.

Mold Mold and more Mold,

Now for the chocolate, this is not the same thing as the cigar. The bloom is just crystallization of the oil in the wrapper, but this is not what happen to chocolate. First its not the rapidly changing temperatures, its come from that the chocolate has been stored in two high temperature so the fat has been separated from the chocolate mass. This can be "fix" by re-blending it, but there is also a taste different.

Another thing, if this happens during the chocolate is temperated its more of less fin, just fix it. IF it comes from storage, then just through the chocolate away, its has been stored in way to hight temperature.

cheers

Love the pictures...the resolution is amazing; however, it also makes it clear that you are dealing with mold and not plume. Sorry.

What make and model of camera did you use to take those?

I bought the Celestron Hand held Digital & Optical Microscope from Opticsplanet.com, here is a link http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-hand...microscope.html . It was $99.95, it has both a digital and optic use, and can even take and capture video. It comes with software and is very easy to install. Lots of fun, but I won't ever look at cigars the same way again!

man ,fantastic pictures,but show me the foot.

if foot its clear,don't worry end clean cigars,white extension mold, its not big problem.

I am on the road again for work (as usual), I will take some photos of the foot when I get home and post them. From what I remember, these were just on the wrapper, near the cap. Thanks

I've often read that white mold can be wiped away with no ill effect to the cigars. Blue mold is a different story.

However, I'm no expert, and I've never encountered it first-hand, so do seek additional info before going forward on my say-so alone.

As has been said, those are fantastic photos. Great job! I would love to see more ultra-close-ups of cigars... maybe some shots of healthy wrappers?