don alejandro robaina

was cleaning out the computer and came across this. from the first trip rob and i took. we got to spend a morning with don alejandro, fabulous visit (even if one of our number announced he didn't smoke cigars and became the butt of all cuban humour for a very long time).

i remember him being grumpy as, and remember he was in his 80's (must now be close to 90? or beyond), he had been smoking since he was 8 and the doc had restricted him to just 6 cigars a day.

post-9-1268455445.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

was cleaning out the computer and came across this. from the first trip rob and i took. we got to spend a morning with don alejandro, fabulous visit (even if one of our number announced he didn't smok

That is definitely Hebrew on the red sticker. Unfortunately you can't see the complete word and I'm not certain what it says (it sounds out as Yo-lee or Yu-lee something). Possibly a name since no simple word comes to mind, or a Spanish word spelled in Hebrew. Maybe someone else who knows more can tell. Nice photo.

That is definitely Hebrew on the red sticker. Unfortunately you can't see the complete word and I'm not certain what it says (it sounds out as Yo-lee or Yu-lee something). Possibly a name since no simple word comes to mind, or a Spanish word spelled in Hebrew. Maybe someone else who knows more can tell. Nice photo.

i do know that israel is a significant investor in cuba. drive through the country and you suddenly come across orchards that are far neater and better run than the neighbours and you've hit some of those investments. perhaps he got it from some neighbours like that? i believe also that after the collapse of the soviet union, castro's security was trained/run by mossad instead of the kgb. one could then ask why given that israel is one of the usually only two (think the other palau?) votes that side with the usa against cuba in the united nations but that would get us into the murky area of politics - which is usually far more fun on this forum when rob isn't in residence.

one could then ask why given that israel is one of the usually only two (think the other palau?) votes that side with the usa against cuba in the united nations

speaking as one American only, I really don't care what Israel (or anyone else) does.

which is usually far more fun on this forum when rob isn't in residence.

not really...... :rolleyes:

speaking as one American only, I really don't care what Israel (or anyone else) does.

but surely you don't expect anyone to believe that is also the view of your government? (and in saying that, i completely recognise the dividion between individual opinions and that of the elected swill - i would be aghast to think anyone associated me with the views of our governemnt).

- i would be aghast to think anyone associated me with the views of our governemnt).

Not to be critical dear friend but look no further than the position you both hold on private gun ownership.

I think, based on what we have talked about, that you are likely misunderstood Ken. There is a "local" appearance of many a member here, you and I are not excluded. Members view us based largely about how passionate we are on certain topics. Can you not agree?

The person who posts a smilie on the happy birthday threads is obscured. No offense to that poster, I do it all the time. But the ones here who engage passionately about certain topics, guns, whales, thin rings, ROI's... are viewed through a lens that we shape ourselves, good and bad alike. There are now people all over the world thinking of my words, your words... another mans' words because we wrote them and they read them. Here!

Who am I, how am I viewed? Well others could correct me if I am wrong. I am largely outspoken if not considered pompous. I am likely viewed on the far right, perhaps an anarchist if you don't follow my Constitutional comments. I am probably considered negatively on human rights issues (meaning social justice), anti-environment and likely somewhat paranoid; maybe cold and heartless. I joke about my stereotype all the time here. I would argue I am not cold and heartless but unless you know me, it would likely be a hard sell. Perhaps I really am and I deny it. I suppose that too is a possibility.

Without offense, and I can't speak for anyone else's perspective of course, but you appear to be the more social issue, large government, academic elitist type! We (you and I) argue our points of interest because I have a classical right (wing) perspective and you have a classical left-wing perspective; at least on the topics we argue. I would have to think that a few of us are grouped or viewed as the right wing types and a few others are categorized as the left wing types. If you opine on political threads you and your supporters will be categorized... as will I along with those that agree with me. We can argue if it is mans' nature to categorize on another thread. -LOL

So... to wrap it up. If I were a betting man, knowing what little I know of Australian government, assuming like I do that it is left leaning; I would emphasize your nations position on guns again, I would think that you have a position very much aligned with that of your government if it were not for you constantly denying it.

Best amigo. And please know again that my post is not meant to offend. It is only an observation, right or wrong. -Ray

l over the world thinking of my words, your words... another mans' words because we wrote them and they read them. Here!

Who am I, how am I viewed? Well others could correct me if I am wrong. I am largely outspoken if not considered pompous. I am likely viewed on the far right, perhaps an anarchist if you don't follow my Constitutional comments. I am probably considered negatively on human rights issues (meaning social justice), anti-environment and likely somewhat paranoid; maybe cold and heartless. I joke about my stereotype all the time here. I would argue I am not cold and heartless but unless you know me, it would likely be a hard sell. Perhaps I really am and I deny it.

I think one of the benefits of age is that you do not characterise or form an final opinion of someone until you have spent time with them. You can certainly get a gauge of someone through their posts and through their acts over the years but invariably, until you spend time with them them then the jury is out (for me).

Take yourself Ray. I know people can be polarized over your posts. I always have a chuckle !LOL!. I know you to be of good heart and sound thought who is passionate and reasonable. Someone who actually reads what others write and who takes the time to support or form a reasoned rebuttal. Personal attack (as opposed to corporate) does not enter into your arguments.

Then again we have spent time together (albeit little) but you can assess the true value of a person over a night on the turps and a strip club or two :cigar:

Not to be critical dear friend but look no further than the position you both hold on private gun ownership.

I think, based on what we have talked about, that you are likely misunderstood Ken. There is a "local" appearance of many a member here, you and I are not excluded. Members view us based largely about how passionate we are on certain topics. Can you not agree?

The person who posts a smilie on the happy birthday threads is obscured. No offense to that poster, I do it all the time. But the ones here who engage passionately about certain topics, guns, whales, thin rings, ROI's... are viewed through a lens that we shape ourselves, good and bad alike. There are now people all over the world thinking of my words, your words... another mans' words because we wrote them and they read them. Here!

Who am I, how am I viewed? Well others could correct me if I am wrong. I am largely outspoken if not considered pompous. I am likely viewed on the far right, perhaps an anarchist if you don't follow my Constitutional comments. I am probably considered negatively on human rights issues (meaning social justice), anti-environment and likely somewhat paranoid; maybe cold and heartless. I joke about my stereotype all the time here. I would argue I am not cold and heartless but unless you know me, it would likely be a hard sell. Perhaps I really am and I deny it. I suppose that too is a possibility.

Without offense, and I can't speak for anyone else's perspective of course, but you appear to be the more social issue, large government, academic elitist type! We (you and I) argue our points of interest because I have a classical right (wing) perspective and you have a classical left-wing perspective; at least on the topics we argue. I would have to think that a few of us are grouped or viewed as the right wing types and a few others are categorized as the left wing types. If you opine on political threads you and your supporters will be categorized... as will I along with those that agree with me. We can argue if it is mans' nature to categorize on another thread. -LOL

So... to wrap it up. If I were a betting man, knowing what little I know of Australian government, assuming like I do that it is left leaning; I would emphasize your nations position on guns again, I would think that you have a position very much aligned with that of your government if it were not for you constantly denying it.

Best amigo. And please know again that my post is not meant to offend. It is only an observation, right or wrong. -Ray

interesting post, ray. and no offence of course.

i assume the last bit means that just occasionally govts sort of get it right.

it has never occured to me to think of you as cold, pompous, hearthearted - not at all. by the same token, i am utterly stunned that anyone thinks of me as pro large govt (the oft expressed views that politicians sit somewhere below slime on the evolutionary scale alone should have pointed you in the other direction).

bit pushed for time so can only respond briefly and suspect that this needs more thought but for many years, i was seen as very much on the right wing side of politics. a few issues didn't fit that - guns (though that was only really a big issue here after the port arthur massacre) and the environment especially (anyone trying to pigeonhole me on just those issues would probably be largely misled). suspect i am less so now but i doubt anyone who knows me or who has known me for any length of time would think of me as left leaning in any way. probably a bit all over the place and i think, very much like most aussies, have a soft spot for the underdog in any endeavour.

and anyone who had spent any time with me over last few weeks or the rest of this one as i plough through trying to sort out my tax would not put me within a million miles of any pro govt stance, big or small.