Rhum Agricole

Wil

Hey guys

Had the pleasure of trying some Rhum Agricole at nice wine bar the other night. Can't remember the name of it, but enjoyed it immensely.

Just wondering if anyone on the forum drinks Rhum Agricole. Very interested in hearing people's recommendations, particularly those that are available locally (in Australia, that is :D ).

Thanks in advance!

I'm also interested in trying a few rhums agricole, but I've never seen any here in sydney. I don't think rum was a very popular drink in australia (at least the higher quality rums weren't) but I was recently told by a guy who runs a bottle shop that there was a lot more interest in the better rums at a recent trade show he had been to. I've read good things about the Clement rums, and may start there when I get around to tracking a few down. You may have to order via the internet - someone here recommended this website in another thread.

I'm also interested in trying a few rhums agricole, but I've never seen any here in sydney. I don't think rum was a very popular drink in australia (at least the higher quality rums weren't) but I was recently told by a guy who runs a bottle shop that there was a lot more interest in the better rums at a recent trade show he had been to. I've read good things about the Clement rums, and may start there when I get around to tracking a few down. You may have to order via the internet - someone here recommended this website in another thread.

in process of checking some of these out. cerbaco are probably the major imprters of these rums. i'll dig out their details. you won't be able to buy direct but if you tell them your location, they should be able to put you on to a good local store carrying them, or at least able to access them. prince in melb may also have some. am checking.

Just taking a quick look at cerbaco's website, it seems they have an online store that you can order from.

Here's the rum section of the online store - http://www.cerbaco.com.au/products.php?cid=17

Thought the prices above looked a bit too good to be true, the listed prices are wholesale, for which you need a liquor licence number, private customers add 33%.

they do sell it at the prince wine store in melbourne do sell this.... Agricole Blanc Rhum $75........St James Rum Agricole 12yo $135..........St James Rum Agricole Vieux (extra old)$90.....

Cheers for the site Wil.. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Paul Giraud cognac?

paul giraud xo grande champagne 25 yrs is a very nice drop....received it as a birthday present...i think its around $200 a bottle though....also got a bottle of pussers rum 15 yr,....nice also

• 3 years later...

I don't know what's avail in AUS, however if you hunt in the US at better stores there are some great rHum agricoles out there Try DePaz Blue cane, La Favorite makes three great selections, Barbencourt is good but not 100% Agricole. and Clement VSOP is a great one to start on. The JM stuff if very "funky" and not for a novice agricole drinker as you have all kinds of odd flavors going on. JM almost has that funk people get from Brugal rum.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure about you but I find the Agricoles pretty astringent. Have given a few a try, Barbancourt, Clements, St. James, Neisson and Depaz

I find it does not lend itself so much to a neat snifter as the molasses-based rums.....

Is Pusser's Navy Rum considered agricole? I have a bottle of the Nelson's Blood and it's very different to the Zacapa Solera 23 and Ron Quorhum QRM 30 Aniversario.

Then there is another group which is sweet and fruity but a little different I notice: Diplomatico Reserva and Angostura 1824

Finally, yet another group which is drier: Appleton and Matusalem Gran Reserva.

No idea the different types of rum...

Is Pusser's Navy Rum considered agricole? I have a bottle of the Nelson's Blood and it's very different to the Zacapa Solera 23 and Ron Quorhum QRM 30 Aniversario.

Then there is another group which is sweet and fruity but a little different I notice: Diplomatico Reserva and Angostura 1824

The distinction is based on their ingredients, with agricole rum being made from the crushed sugar cane itself, whereas most rums are made from molasses a by product of processing cane for sugar.

You'll find the French Caribbean islands are the main sources of agricole rum, and I believe this is due to the similarities between using this "cane juice" and using grapes to make cognac.

agricole rums tend to have lighter fruity notes to them, but of course they can be rich too

Off the top of my head I don't believe any of the rums you've mentioned are agricole except (kind of but not officially) zacapa

• 1 month later...

Ron Matusalem is probably a good example of a molasses rum,sweet,soft and chewy.Zacapa reminds me of a hybrid,some sweetness and density,but spicy and citrusy too. Flor de Cana is spicy and firey,but has a very agreeable flavor and aftertaste.Agricole?

Pyrat is my current thrill,honeyed and citrusy,smooth and lingering.

Hi Guys. New to the foruum but im a rum junkie so can add a little info.

As stated above Agricoles are made from fermented sugar cane juice. Other rums (or industrials a steh French call them) are made from molasses.

Im an Agricole nut and have over a dozen in my collection. Technically Agricoles only come from French controlled islands due to "Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée" rules. Same as Champagne only coming from Champagne region etc.

There are, as mentioned above, other places that make rum using the same process but they can't call it Agricole. For example Barbancourt from Haiti has the words "Rhum au Sucre De Canne 100%" on the label. There is even a couple of French guys in Thailand now producing rum in the Agricole style. Early reports are that its a damn fine drop.

And its definately not a case of Agricole being better. Its all a matter of individual taste. Zacappa is damn fine but its very sweet. I have a couple of Zacappas and they are excellent, but they are far from my favourites. Id prfer a Clement over a Zacappa any day.

Edit - Oh. Almost forgot. Agricoles can only be produced when the sugar cane is ripe so its actually a slightly seasonal product where as molasses rums can be produced all year round. Means that Agricoles are normally more expensive.

Ah...so agricole is supposed to be better? Or just a different style?

Different type of rum really.

Another thing is that I believe El Dorado and the like are demerara rums, rather than molasses rums.

Demerara is a specific region in Guyana, but it's also a term given to rums that use demerara sugar for production. So, you have rhum agricoles (sugar syrup/juice), regular rums (made using molasses, a sugar byproduct), and then demerara rums smack in the middle (using demerara sugar, or soft brown sugar, from midway during the sugar refining process, and contains more minerals). These really appear to be the three main ferments in use with rums right now.

Other taste variances are based on the barrelling and aging methods (French oak barrels versus sherry barrels, solera aging versus sea-level, etc.)

For example, Zacapa uses first-press sugar cane juice (damn near the same as agricoles), but then while it's a rum, it's made sherry style in it's casking and solera-aging.