Bad Monte # 2

I'm curious to know if you folks can tell me what's up with this cigar. I lit up a 4-07 Monte # 2 (Swiss source). The first inch + was great. Dark, good fill and flavor (CA would have rate it well!). All of a sudden it got really bitter and pasty. Tried to smoke through it to no avail, so I put it down and smoked another, then fired it up again and gave it another couple of puffs. Same thing. Absolutely unsmokeable. I've had this happen before to a lesser degree with ncs, but never to such an extent or with a cc. Can you tell me what causes this? Thanks. BTW, love this site and the CZ team. Thanks. --Sam

I'm curious to know if you folks can tell me what's up with this cigar. I lit up a 4-07 Monte # 2 (Swiss source). The first inch + was great. Dark, good fill and flavor (CA would have rate it well!). All of a sudden it got really bitter and pasty. Tried to smoke through it to no avail, so I put it down and smoked another, then fired it up again and gave it another couple of puffs. Same thing. Absolutely unsmokeable. I've had this happen before to a lesser degree with ncs, but never to such an extent or with a cc. Can you tell me what causes this? Thanks. BTW, love this site and the CZ team. Thanks. --Sam

Sam, my intuition tells me that your problem is related to humidification. Either the cigars hadn't had enough time in your humidor to settle in, or your humidity is too high. Anything over 70% is too high for Habanos. I keep mine around 62% to 64% and they smoke fine.

I have smoked many monte #2's and i have yet to have one that has blown me away. In my eyes this is a very over rated cigar but it sounds like you have a over humidified cigar. Try leaving in outside the humi for a day or so before smoking another.

The second one you smoked was OK? I've had this happen with cigars from the same box. All smoke fine, and then one unbearably acrid - tasting

like burning rubber smells. I never really knew what to make of it - I've read of people finding elastic bands from rollers in their cigars, but I don't

know that that was the cause for me - I didn't cut open the cigar.

The second one you smoked was OK? I've had this happen with cigars from the same box. All smoke fine, and then one unbearably acrid - tasting

like burning rubber smells. I never really knew what to make of it - I've read of people finding elastic bands from rollers in their cigars, but I don't

Really? Elastic Bands? How the hell does something like that happen? Never new this.....

Wow, if that is true, i would be so pissed if that happened to me. How they hell does something like that happen?

Wow, if that is true, i would be so pissed if that happened to me. How they hell does something like that happen?

stuff like this happens with all kinds of products, not just cigars. quality control can't always be 100%

Really? Elastic Bands? How the hell does something like that happen? Never new this.....

I gave a guy a JLP Crema the other day that he had a hard time cutting to find a piece of twine in it. I guess this is not surprising with a tripa corta but a little bit so with a long filler.

I once bought a cigar in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, from a shop that sells cigars made from Puerto Rican tobacco. It was cheap and I wanted to see what it would taste like. When I clipped the cap I noticed a large, thick black hair poking out. I tugged on it and found it ran the legnth of the cigar. Needless to say the cigar tasted like ****, but I was left wondering if the blender had purposely added the hair and if it could have possibly improved the taste of that miserable excuse of a cigar.

I've smoked quite a few Monte 2s and love them...never had a problem. However, I have had a similar experience with a Juan Lopez S1. First draw was earthy with hints of leather and cream. Then quite suddenly it transitioned to something less appealling than smoking plastic garbage bags. Since I hadn't allowed it time to rest the recommended 30 days in the humi, I chalked it up to being my own fault. Never had another problem, but it's a taste I won't soon forget. :)

I gave a guy a JLP Crema the other day that he had a hard time cutting to find a piece of twine in it. I guess this is not surprising with a tripa corta but a little bit so with a long filler.

I've pulled a Che Guevara t-shirt out of an Acid before.

I once bought a cigar in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, from a shop that sells cigars made from Puerto Rican tobacco. It was cheap and I wanted to see what it would taste like. When I clipped the cap I noticed a large, thick black hair poking out. I tugged on it and found it ran the legnth of the cigar. Needless to say the cigar tasted like ****, but I was left wondering if the blender had purposely added the hair and if it could have possibly improved the taste of that miserable excuse of a cigar.

I have had a cigar with hair in it before, thank God no pubes though

Bart

Yeah i have heard horror stories of fakes having everything BUT tobacco in them. Hair, pencil shavings, fabric, paper etc...

Had the same thing happen to me too! Exactly as you describe it. It was two or three cigars actually - 2 BCJ and one Parti Shorts. I lit them up as soon as I received the package from Czar's without even putting them in the humidor.

Incidentally, after a 30 day period in the humidor, the rest of the cigars were fine.

They make so many Montecristo #2s & #4s, you never know how the quality is unless you can personally inspect the box. Since I can't do that, Rob's HQ & PSP cigars really are worth the extra price.

They make so many Montecristo #2s & #4s, you never know how the quality is unless you can personally inspect the box. Since I can't do that, Rob's HQ & PSP cigars really are worth the extra price.

Wow, Rob looks for hair in the cigars too? The man is moving toward sainthood in my cigar world. ;)