Plume or Mold?

Well folks I was in the mood for some Culebras, ordered them from a vendor who will remain unnamed who had them on sale... this is what I received.

Culebras01.jpg

Culebras02.jpg

Culebras03.jpg

I'm having a bit of "discussion" with this vendor about whether this is plume or mold. I have my opinion :) but what do you think?

That is definitely mold. I have a good guess as to what vendor this is, and unfortunately, in my experience, this kind of result is not uncommon. Nor is it uncommon for them to argue with a customer over something like this. It's a shame, because under the mold, those look gorgeous.

Have you red this: European Cigar Cult Journal. Page 44.

I think it's not so easy to recognize whether it's plume or mold, would need a microscopic photo. Your cigars don't seem quite nice though, but I wouldn't lose my mind because of them. I'd wipe the white away and store them at 65RH (or lower if you prefer).

Please don't consider this answer as an absolute fact, it's just my opinion. Many others may have a better solution. And, I've seen worse looking cigars smoked well (not myself)...

Looks like mold to me. If you have a black light you can check the cigars with it. Check out Trevors site for more info. here is a link to it for you. mold

that sux. They look like delicious ballpark pretzels with salt on them. If you do put them in the humi at a lower RH, make sure they are secluded as much as possible

I'm guessing they'll probably go back in their little coffins.

Wilkey

Mold, no doubt. Threads like these always worry the hell out of me. I haven't been able to check my cigars in a year and I won't be able to check them for another year :( My dad keeps the RH on point, but a annual check-up is something I wanna do personally :P

Mold, no doubt. Threads like these always worry the hell out of me. I haven't been able to check my cigars in a year and I won't be able to check them for another year :( My dad keeps the RH on point, but a annual check-up is something I wanna do personally :P

Yeah, I have seen plenty of mold, that's what this is. I make sure to inspect my cigars every month or so. I have had minor mold outbreaks but never anything as bad as what this vendor sent me.

Maybe you could get a friend to help you out on this, mold is no big deal if you catch it quickly but it can get out of hand...

Yeah pretty sure that's mould. It looks like it could be saved though, if it was a regular straight cigar I would try wiping it off and leaving in a seperate humidor for two weeks and seeing if anything grows back...but with theshape of the culebras I'd say wiping it all off (even if you can) would be pretty impossible.

Luckily I've only ever seen mould once; an R&Y short churchill tubed and it looked the same as those, maybe not to as great an extent though. I wiped it off and it turned out to be fine.

I could be wrong but that blotchy type of bloom is caused by fresh cigars being sealed up then getting warm, so you tend to see it in tubed cigars that are new, having been just put in the tube and sealed while still a bit 'wet' then warming up during shipping. Those culebras come in those little individual coffins so they may have got the same problem as the above tubed.

I agree with Colt - while not a pleasant sight, I'd wipe them and the inside of the coffins off... and leave them in quarantine for a month. I'm all but certain they'd be fine. Ive had cigars with more mould than those in the photos clean up and smoke beautifully.

Three reasons I wouldn't just wipe these off. First, the mold has gone to the feet. You can't know how far it has invaded the cigar and it wouldn't be good to smoke. Second, since it's a culebra, I'd have to take the bands off, and unravel the cigars, to get the mold off. That would ruin the whole idea of having culebras, being able to bring them out to share with friends, share the ritual of opening them up, etc. Third, I paid for them and expect them to be in good condition. I'd wipe a little mold off of cigars, and have done so, but this was over the top.

Three reasons I wouldn't just wipe these off. First, the mold has gone to the feet. You can't know how far it has invaded the cigar and it wouldn't be good to smoke. Second, since it's a culebra, I'd have to take the bands off, and unravel the cigars, to get the mold off. That would ruin the whole idea of having culebras, being able to bring them out to share with friends, share the ritual of opening them up, etc. Third, I paid for them and expect them to be in good condition. I'd wipe a little mold off of cigars, and have done so, but this was over the top.

I agree on all points. If it developed while in my storage, it'd be different. But coming straight from the dealer, this merits exchange.

Wilkey

Definitely mold. Plume has a hazy fuzzy look to it. It is a shame. Wipe down, keep in a dry area (segregated from other smokes) give it 4 to 5 weeks and then light up!!!!

Wash it down with some good Shirazz (or Sirazz in the OutBack land)you wont know the difference...

Cheers,

Might consider cutting an 1/2 inch off the foot if you plan on smoking them. There is mold in the feet of the cigars for sure.

I've smoked a couple cigars with a little mold on them. After a good wipedown, you would have never known. However, never smoked a cigar that had a bit of mold in the foot.

• 1 month later...

By the way, vendor (who will not be named) did give a full refund, including shipping, but insisted that their "experts" confirmed that this was plume. Last order there.

ALWAYS inspect your cigars upon arrival, imagine if I had put them away (they arrived sealed) what they might have looked like in a year.