Trinidad Fundadores Anyone?

Hi Montaigut, try doing a search in the 'cigar review' and 'tampa tribute' sections of the forum - definitely remember a few fundadore reviews

Personally I love the fundadores - a really refined and complex smoke when at its best - having said that i have only had singles or 5 packs to date - would love to get my hands on a HQ or PSP box at some stage.

Also it helps if you have 2 hours to spare to really do the thing justice,

Try a few and let us know your thoughts

Now what gives with this new band/old band stuff? I assume some kind of a change in the production?...

Old bands are indicative of aged trinidad's. The fundadore is thought to be a cigar that ages well. New style bands indicate more recent production but I would have thought that you could still get aged fundadores witrh the new bands as the new bands have been around for a while.

It is likely that you would have to pay a premium for well aged fundadores. Newer stock may still be very enjoyable and approachable now. You should ask the Czars team for advice

Hi folks,

I am looking at adding a box of Fundadores to my humidor. Anybody out there familiar with this cigar? What should I expect? Thanks

Dan

I find them the most difficult of general stock to pick in relation to PE/HQ/PSP. I would estimate 80% don't make PE grade because of the fact that they are chronically underfilled. Part of the problem is that they are globally not a fast moving cigar and most of the stock still available is from the underfilled skinny years of 07/08.

This is one box of cigars I would never chance buying blind. Too expensive for a blind purchase so if you are keen then be patient and have the vendor hand select for the right box or otherwise pass. On the positive side I have found the right box from 08 in particular (not much 09 as yet) is the best since 04.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a few from a shop in Buenos Aires a while back. When I asked about them the guy said they didn't have them but after a few minutes a gal came in with a semi filled '08 box. It was kinda strange but as I perused them for a bit looking for a couple that I could take home I began to notice that most were damaged in one way or another. Now these cigars were in their original box and I don't know where they stored them but there were many that had some issues. I bought two of them anyway and still have them in my humi. I'll probably smoke one on christmas this year and i'll report back on how it went.

I find them the most difficult of general stock to pick in relation to PE/HQ/PSP. I would estimate 80% don't make PE grade because of the fact that they are chronically underfilled. Part of the problem is that they are globally not a fast moving cigar and most of the stock still available is from the underfilled skinny years of 07/08.

This is one box of cigars I would never chance buying blind. Too expensive for a blind purchase so if you are keen then be patient and have the vendor hand select for the right box or otherwise pass. On the positive side I have found the right box from 08 in particular (not much 09 as yet) is the best since 04.

There may also be another detail that should not be over looked.

Trinidad's were originally created at the El Laguito factory and at the time,

up to 2003, all of the production was still made at El Laguito. Like many cigars

in Cuba, once there's a big demand for certain vitolas the production quickly swifts

to other factories, ( like Cohiba ), because of lack of space & rollers. ( see the thread on the Behikes).

In 2004, I had the privilege of a private visit to the El Laguito factory with our cigar club and the honor

to meet Emilia Tamayo, who at the time was the director.

She had been there for ten years and 2004 was to be her last year as director of the factory.

She told me that those years at El Laguito were the best years of her professional life. The only thing that

she regretted was the fact that she didn't suceed in all those years, to bring all of the Cohiba

production back to El Laguito but especially, in keeping all of the Trinidad production, which was now transfering

a large part of production to the Factory, Fanscisco Donatien in Pinae del Rio.

For me, a majority of the Trinidad Fundadores from 2004 up to 2009 , are not up to the standards of the

Fundadores made at El Laguito, again as I said, FOR ME,

Also interesting is the fact that after this transfer to Pinar del Rio, the old band,( all gold with black print) was changed to the

band that we all know today.

Trinidad Fundadores Anyone?

No thanks, I'll take that Cohiba Lancero or Monte Especial #1 any day of the week.

I have always enjoyed the Trinidad Fundadores. The OR Fundadores (along with some 90s Lusitanias) were my entry point into the complexity and pleasure of Cuban cigars. I do not recommend smoking fresh Fundadores from more recent vintages. I have a few boxes aging and will start to take a look at them next summer. For now, I scour (well...occasionally seek) the i-webs for late 90s Fundadores.

I strongly recommend aged Trinidad Coloniales. Price point much better. Truly fantastic with a few years of rest.

I prefer the Monte Especial or Cohiba C.E. fresh from a box.

I personally really enjoy the Trinidad Fundadore, but I am a fan of the line as will...also love the Robusto T, Reyes, and Coloniales. All of them are fantastic smokes. I have never had the pleaseure of an OR, or any Trini Fundadore with the old band, so I can't say how they compare, but I do think it is a cigar that is worth a second look.

I've had some good 1998 Fundadores, but I also prefer the Lancero or Monte Especiale.

I haven't had a '98. The few I've smoked were made in the last decade. They didn't do it for me. I'm going to smoke my first Robusto T soon, I hope it's better than the Fundadore.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to my previous post, I went over to Trevors website and noticed that the Fundies I bought in Buenos Aires have the old band! I may have mis read the date on the box seeing 08 when in fact they're from 98. Now I really can't wait to try them. Guess It's time to start carrying my readers with me at all times. :confused:

In regards to my previous post, I went over to Trevors website and noticed that the Fundies I bought in Buenos Aires have the old band! I may have mis read the date on the box seeing 08 when in fact they're from 98. Now I really can't wait to try them. Guess It's time to start carrying my readers with me at all times. :unsure:

Nice...very nice.

• 1 year later...

Yes I know it is an old thread, but they are the best cigars I smoked yet.

Im glad that Iam aware of a similar box that Ill buy next year :)

Oooh - I know where you got that box! I have held that very box in my hand, I believe ;)

I found it a little strange that 3 or 4 of the sticks on the top layer had a much lighter wrapper than the others. Post a review!!