CA's Top 25 list

Nevermind that Suckling rated the Gran Reserva 100 points in two non blind tastings. Nevermind that he said the Trinidad Robusto T was his "go to cigar". Cigar Aficionafo has awarded the #2 posiition on their Top 25 Cigars of 2009 to the Cohiba Siglo V Tubo saying it was the best Cohiba and best Cuban they smoked this year.

The PSP2 got #10.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you review the year's Cigar Aficionado's and Cigar Insider's, the Montecristo Open was a top rated cigar of the Cubans they tasted.

Of course, last year the Casa Magna was #1 based on price/value. Yet price isn't a point awarding criteria in their blind tastings. So.....?

You can't smoke an inch of one cigar and have any credibility in rating it. Or limit one cigar per brand for the ratings. Or ignore box codes on Cubans.

Top 9 out of 10 Cigars released by CA this week

1. N/A

2. Cohiba Sig V Tubo

3. My Father No 1

4. Diamond Crown Maximus Double Corona No 1

5. Oliva Serie V Liga Especial Belicoso

6. 601 Box Press Maduro Toro

7. Fuente Hemingway Classic

8. Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve Maduro Torpedo

9. Ashton Virgin Sun Grown Torpedo

10. Partagas Ser P No 2 Tubo

My guess for #1 is Padron 45th Anniversary that was released in September

Bart

1. N/A

2. Cohiba Sig V

3. My Father No 1

10. Partigas SP2.

Bart

Bart your guessing that #1is N/A....ive never heard of that cigar...is that a new one from Rocky Patel? :)

Siglo V doesnt get a lot of press here or on other forums I visit.......It is about $100 more a box than the Siglo IV and III, of course its a little larger smoke too.

I had the Siglo V a 9.1, the Siglo III a 9.2 and the Siglo IV a 9.15 in my reviews

EDIT: I made a correction above, it was the Siglo V Tubo, not a normal Siglo V that won second place..........wonder if that makes a big difference when sampling?

A Cuban will not win the #1 spot as the last sentence in the Siglo V description was............."The Siglo V Tubo was the best Cohiba and best Cuban cigar we reviewed in 2009"

Bart

1. N/A

2. Cohiba Sig V

3. My Father No 1

10. Partagas Ser P No 2

My guess for #1 is Padron 45th Anniversary that was released in September

Bart

I agree. Padron has never finished out of the Top Ten in the Cigar of the Year ratings they publish. It will be the 45th Anniversary Padron.

But based on their ratings over the last year, one of the Alec Bradley Prensados should have been a Top 10 finisher. The Patel, Oliva and Ashton listed are all old news. And nothing that special.

Definitely Padron 45th to top cigar honors from CA. Love the Sig V vitola. Dahlias are my favorite. Not the best tasting Sig, but the best in appearance and feel IMHO.

The fact that Rocky Patel still has a top ten cigar and that Pete and Dion were left out tells me that CA is a scam.

From my cursory glances, seems like Pete and Dion smokes rarely get top-tier grades on CA. Lots of high 80s, but not many 90s. I don't agree with those grades, personally...

Cigar Aficionado in my opinion has lost it's touch and 2009's top 25 is evidence of this. Claiming the Cohiba V is the best Cuban is outrageous, not to mention that I've yet to see a La Riqueza hit there top 25. I think they just mention the Cohiba name to coax the poor uneducated American saps into purchasing more counterfeit cigars while on vacation in Mexico.

Cigar Aficionado Magazine and their online supplement, Cigar Insider.

who only smoke an inch of a cigar to determine it's rating correct?

talk about people having trouble completing the Octave!

not to mention that CA must be getting perks from Jose, Alec Rocky et all.

oh come on, surely!

My thinking here is, even our mothers encourage us to eat our vegetables in the sweetest possible way :)

CA gives their seal of approval (read: handjob) to the smokes which Marvin et al. can divine flavors that border on the assanine. I mean, really, what the hell is pencil lead doing in a fine habano?? Anyway, I don't give a damn how they rate them anymore. It is just one big farce.

I don't have anything against "cA", they're there to make money. I'm sure that they

enjoy cigars,plus I'm sure that 90% OF THE CIGARS SMOKED BY Sanken, Mott and Suckling,

are Cubans, BUT, the Cubans don't put ADS in the magazine, so, once in a few years, the No.

1, is a cuban, other then that, It's the NC's that bring the bread home. :party::)