FORMULA 1 - 2010

Schumi backtracks on 'no wins' comment

Michael-Schumacher_2419184.jpg

Michael Schumacher has backtracked on his recent 'no wins' comments, insisting that in the past 24 hours his opinion has changed.

On Friday, Schumacher told reporters at the Barcelona circuit that he felt it would be difficult for Mercedes GP to claim the victory at the season-opening Bahrain GP.

"At the moment we are not perfectly in the position we would like, probably to be competitive enough to win the first races," he said.

"But we are working hard, the season is long, and the main issue is not to be too far off. This is very difficult to judge right now, the real picture."

But, 24 hours later and with team-mate Nico Rosberg setting the pace at Barcelona on Saturday, the seven-time World Champ says he may have spoken a bit prematurely.

"Yesterday I was little bit pessimistic before I studied the data, afterwards it looks much more reasonable than I thought," Schumacher explained.

"There is two things. One I didn't just say this yesterday, I have said it from the beginning that we might not be in a position to win the first races and that is not really important. Because you have to win by the end of the season, not the beginning of the season.

"And probably this could be the case, although I mentioned it yesterday after not having studied the data. This was just initial feeling, but it looks like maybe we were running more fuel than others yesterday and that's why the time didn't look so good.

"Looking at the results and the data, actually it looks very reasonable - not too bad. So let's see where we are."

The German has already set his sights on an eighth World title, confident that Mercedes GP will give him all the tools needed to do so.

"I am here to fight for it yes, and I am sure we will be in the position. Whether will be able to achieve it is another matter," he said.

But even if he doesn't win the World title this season, he still has another two in which to try.

"I see it first of all as a three-year programme and I see it secondly that it is important to see what happens by the end of the season and not by the beginning of the season. This is the two main important things.

"If we are not in a position to win the first races I wouldn't worry at all. If we are two seconds off the pace, then okay maybe we will start to worry, but I don't think that is the case."

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vettel: There's only one goal - to be Champion

Sebastian-Vettel_2424641.jpg

Sebastian Vettel says he has only one goal for this year's campaign that is to finish it at the top of the leaderboard.

Last season, the Red Bull racer finished second, losing the title to Jenson Button at the penultimate race in Brazil. This year, he intends going one better.

"After last season, there can only be one goal - to become World Champion," he told the official F1 website. "It will be a long, hard season and I will take it race by race.

"At the moment it looks pretty tight so it will be a sizzling season."

Tight or not, though, the German is standing by his earlier opinion that Ferrari are the favourites heading into the season-opening Bahrain GP.

"I think so. In the morning or in the afternoon, with more or less fuel, they've looked pretty competitive."

But, he added, "It's difficult to judge. The times you see after a long day's running are secondary.

"The really interesting thing is to see how a car develops over many laps. You shouldn't put too much emphasis on a single lap."

Vettel also isn't putting too much emphasis on Michael Schumacher's return to F1 despite continuous questions about his thoughts on the German's comeback.

Asked where he believed Schumacher is in the pecking order, he said: "I don't think it is right to speak only of Michael. You have to consider Mercedes as a team. Nico (Rosberg) is also someone you have to take into account.

"As I said, I see Ferrari in the lead and then us, McLaren and Mercedes. In this group it is pretty tight. Sometimes one has an advantage over the others."

Sauber sign Esteban Gutierrez

Esteban-Gutierrez_2425415.jpg

Sauber have confirmed the signing of Esteban Gutierrez to their driver development programme.

Gutierrez took part in last year's young driver test for the BMW-Sauber team, showing an impressive turn of pace given that he is just 18 years old.

And although Sauber's decision to sign the Mexican driver does not mean he will be testing one of the team's C29s, he will attend grands prix with the team in order to get a feel for F1.

He will also follow the same training regime as Sauber's regular drivers, Pedro de la Rosa and Kamui Kobayashi , while his physical condition will be monitored in the same way.

"We view this link-up as a kind of sponsorship arrangement," said team boss Peter Sauber. "Nowadays you can only give young drivers a very limited amount of help in gaining a foothold in F1.

"With the limited number of testing opportunities, it is important for the teams to have the race drivers in the cars during those sessions.

"However, the world of F1 is so complex that you can learn a great deal just by watching and listening to what's going on. That's the opportunity we're giving Esteban. And we will also help him to get himself in F1-trim physically."

Gutierrez added: "I felt very comfortable at the young driver test at Jerez in December and enjoyed every second, but I also saw that I still have a lot to learn before I'm ready to be a good F1 driver.

"Experience behind the wheel is, of course, the most important thing, but I'm under no illusions.

"I'm happy that the Sauber team has shown so much confidence in me by giving me the chance to look behind the scenes and learn about the sport. And at the same time, I will be training hard with an instructor, which will definitely help me achieve my goals in the GP3 series."

Heidfeld touted as replacement GPDA President

Nick_Heidfeld_BMW_2010.jpg

Nick Heidfeld has been touted as a possible replacement for the outgoing GPDA President, Pedro de la Rosa.

De la Rosa would like to leave his position at the GPDA and concentrate on his new role within Sauber. The Spaniard secured a drive with the team after holding the position of test driver at McLaren for six years.

"On Friday in Bahrain we have a meeting with the GPDA." De la Rosa told Autosport. "We ask the GPDA members how to continue. Personally I want someone else take over my role. I've done two years and change would be healthy.

"There are guys with more time and we need a dedicated person. I'm happy with what I've achieved and now it's time for someone else. I leave it to the members. I think they agree with me, but let's wait."

With Nick Heidfeld unable to secure a race seat for the 2010 season, he has been put forward as a likely, and popular candidate for the role.

De la Rosa continued: "He is definitely a great candidate. Nick is intelligent and experienced, so why not? But the members decide.

"Nick Heidfeld is a great alternative" He added.

Schumi apologised to Heidfeld for taking seat

Nick_Heidfeld_2010_001.jpg

Ex-BMW-Sauber driver and current Mercedes GP test driver, Nick Heidfeld has revealed that Michael Schumacher apologised to the fellow German for taking his seat at the team.

Heidfeld was favourite to take the open seat at Mercedes to partner Nico Rosberg, and as a result decided to concentrate on securing the Mercedes seat rather than negotiate with McLaren who, according to Heidfeld were keen on signing the experienced German.

"McLaren wanted to have me, the negotiations were very close to a conclusion," he said.

Meanwhile, talks between Jenson Button and Mercedes broke down, resulting in the 2009 champion leaving the team and striking up a deal with McLaren.

With an empty slot where Button had once been, Ross Brawn accelerated talks with Michael Schumacher, who inevitably took the position Heidfeld was vying for.

This led to Heidfeld having to take a reserve role with the team.

"When we saw one another at the Jerez test for the first time, he in a way apologised to me that he had taken the place. It was a nice gesture, but if the reverse was true, I would have done the same," added Heidfeld.

The 33-year old insisted he could make a return to a race seat in 2011 if all goes well.

"For 2011 I see a good chance of getting back a race seat."

F1 gets new Mercedes Gullwing safety car

Mercedes_Safety_Car_gullwing_01.jpg

Formula One will get a new safety car this year. Mercedes will provide the FIA with a brand new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Gullwing.

German Bernd Maylander will continue to drive the unique 571 horsepower supercar, a modern re-make of the popular Mercedes-Benz 300SL.

The car featured in a TV commercial before the launch of the Mercedes MGP-01, in which it was driven on the ceiling of a tunnel by none other than Michael Schumacher.

"Together with the entire AMG Team, I am very proud that the new SLS AMG is the official F1 safety car. I'm sure all Mercedes and AMG fans will be excited to see the gullwing model together with the new Mercedes GP Petronas Team at the F1 circuits," said Volker Mornhinweg, CEO of Mercedes-AMG.

Merc_Gullwing_safety_car_02.jpgMerc_Gullwing_safety_car_03.jpg

Merc_Gullwing_safety_car_04.jpgMerc_Gullwing_safety_car_01.jpg

Gullwing commercial

Controversy awaits with Merc's 'super diffuser'

dcd1017fe29_2425809.jpg

The diffuser war of 2009 could rear its head this season as Formula One awaits the rumoured introduction of Mercedes GP's new super diffuser.

Throughout the final week of pre-season testing, speculation was rife in the Barcelona paddock that Mercedes GP, headed up by Ross Brawn, would unveil a new diffuser design at the season-opening race in Bahrain, which could give them a healthy advantage over their rivals.

And although the team has confirmed that major upgrades are on the agenda, they have refused to confirm rumours of the diffuser.

"We have a new package for Bahrain and I hope that's going to make the difference," said Brawn while Nico Rosberg revealed that "the car will make a big step forward in Bahrain. It'll be almost like a new car, so everything might be completely different once we are there."

The team's refusal to acknowledge the diffuser - or test it at Barcelona - has some questioning whether the rumours have any substance to them.

"I do not know what Brawn (Mercedes GP) will have in Bahrain, but we'll see if it really is something new," Ferrari's Fernando Alonso told El Pais newspaper.

"For me, it is just a rumour, like many others. Like for the past year it has been said that Renault is going to leave Formula One."

But, if it's not just buzz and Mercedes GP do seize the advantage, there could be a repeat of last year's diffuser war as team's squabble about the grey areas in the Formula One regulations.

In fact, even Brawn admits there could be technical wars between the teams going into the new season.

"In the last months we have asked many things of (FIA race director) Charlie Whiting to know if they are permitted or not. Some equipment has been taken to the edge of the regulations and could have problems," admitted Brawn.

MIKA: I think Schumacher is the new Super diffuser! :P

Brawn: Schumi's 'pretty close' to what I remember

Michael-Schumacher-Barcelona_2424543.jpg

Ross Brawn believes Michael Schumacher's is "pretty close" to the driver he used to be before retiring from F1.

Schumacher quit the sport back in 2006, however, this year will return after signing a three-year deal to race for Mercedes GP.

The German's return began in the first week of February when he tested in Valencia and, seven-and-a-half days of testing later, Brawn reckon Schumacher is almost back to his best.

"Michael has been very intense in terms of his approach," Brawn told the BBC.

"He's pretty close to what I remember. He stopped because he was tired of F1 but that's gone now. He's very passionate about racing again and is working hard with Nico to improve the car.

"He's got to start getting back into the groove but I don't think Michael will be the issue - we've got to get the car a little bit better."

As for the battle between Schumacher and his younger German team-mate Nico Rosberg, their team boss says it's still too early to tell which of the two will have the upper hand this season

"Until we get Michael and Nico on track at the same time it's impossible to judge between the two of them," he said.

"They both look very good. You don't want to see either driver trailing behind and judging from the tests on different days they are close.

"I don't think they know where they are because conditions and tracks make comparisons different but I think both drivers are looking competitive."

'No Red Bull F1 deal waiting for Raikkonen'

d09adh1067_2390490.jpg

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz has denied rumours that the team is considering signing Kimi Raikkonen as Mark Webber's replacement for the 2011 season.

According to reports, Webber is set to quit F1 at the end of this year's Championship, leaving a place open at Red Bull. However, that seat won't be open for long as already the team is looking to Raikkonen to fill it.

Mateschitz, though, says this is not true.

"This is nothing more than pure speculation," Mateschitz told Autosport. "We do not know what Kimi intends to do in one year. We have a very good relationship which makes room for speculations.

"But to tell you now Kimi will be racing for us in 2011 is not serious. If Webber provides top performances this year we will not reward him by giving his cockpit to Raikkonen."

Stefan GP attempt a softer approach

Zoran-Stefanovic-toyota-stefan-gp_2415304.jpg

After their earlier go at USF1 and the FIA, Stefan GP have now taken a softer approach in their bid to join the Bahrain grid, appealing to the F1 "family".

Last week, Stefan GP did not do their chances of bagging a place on the grid any good when they slammed the "dreamers from the USA" as well as motorsport's governing body.

"In case we don't receive the chance to compete in Bahrain, and also when some of the teams fail to show up, somebody should have trouble explaining what has happened to all of us," read a team statement.

"And the dreamers from the USA will have to explain their actions, because they are deliberately weakening F1, dreaming about a perfect world and fairytales of success. And success doesn't come by talking but with hard work and a lot of guts."

48 hours later, though, the team opted for a somewhat calmer approach, calling on the Formula One "family" to make the right decision by allowing them to race in Bahrain.

"SGP would like to re-confirm its desire and, importantly, its ability to compete in the whole of the FIA 2010 F1 World Championship," said the team.

"It recognises that this can only happen with the consent of the FIA and the FOM, but we have faith that the F1 'family' will make the correct decision in the end.

"There will be no more press releases on this subject and we look forward to being allowed to show everyone our team in Bahrain."

Stefan GP are expected to unveil their 2010 challenger on Tuesday while rumours of Jacques Villeneuve's pending sign gathered momentum with reports that he is set to undergo a seat fitting early this week.

MIKA: What are your thoughts...?

Will SGP make it or not?

'I'm more excited' this year - Button

Lewis_Hamilton_Jenson_Button_Mclaren_MP4-25_005.jpg

Jenson Button has admitted he's more excited this year than he was in 2009 when he knew he had a competitive car, thanks to the sheer competitiveness of the grid.

The McLaren driver is looking forward to the challenges represented by the top drivers in the top four teams, including Schumacher at Mercedes, Alonso at Ferrari and his biggest challenge of all, his teammate Hamilton, in identical machinery.

In response to whether or not this was the most excited he's been at the start of a season, he said: "Yeah. I mean, last year I was very excited. I had a car that was.. while we all knew that it was capable of winning the first race, after the position we were in, when we didn't even think we'd be on the grid. So arriving in Melbourne was pretty exciting.

"But this year I'm more excited because of the competitiveness of the four top teams, plus Sauber and Williams. And having Michael in the sport, which I think is great for the sport and I'm looking forward to go head to head with him," he told Autosport.

"Also having Lewis as a team-mate. He's an exceptional driver and it's a really big challenge, an exciting one. And Fernando in a Ferrari."

Button is glad to see change in the sport after the negative press F1 has received over the past couple of years which has included spying, poor stewarding decisions, breakaway threats and deliberate crashing.

"There is so much change this year, I think it's all positive for the sport. Last year we had some negative publicity, which is more away from the circuit than the actual racing.

"But this year I would say it's been fantastic, because of the publicity we've had, with world champions in competitive cars, new teams coming in. This is great for F1 and hopefully it's going to get more supporters and fans interested in the sport. I can't wait for the first race. I think it's going to be a very special season."

Team-mate Hamilton shares Button's excitement.

"I'm looking forward to getting to Bahrain. It's the first real trip we're going to do - looking forward to getting some good weather. Walking into the paddock for the first time each season is always a real buzz, and obviously getting in the car on Friday," added Hamilton.

Brawn expects a super-hard title fight

Ross_Brawn_Mercedes_GP_00001.jpg

Ross Brawn has admitted the MGP-01 has slightly less pace than he had hoped. After dominating the start of the 2009 season with a car capable of outpacing it's rivals, Brawn doesn't expect the same to happen in 2010.

He told reporters that he expects "a super-hard battle" for the title.

"You saw in the beginning of testing that Ferrari were quite dominant but based on this test the teams are all pretty close," Brawn said.

"We're just a little bit off where we want to be but we're close enough to be within reach."

Many teams up and down the grid are expecting Mercedes to reveal a radical new diffuser in Bahrain, again stretching the rules as they did in '09.

Alonso however reckons it's just a wild rumour: "I do not know what Brawn will have in Bahrain, but we'll see if it is really something new, for me, it is just a rumour, like many others," said the Spaniard.

"We have a new package for Bahrain and I hope that makes the difference." Brawn continued.

"The balance is getting better, there's set-up and obviously efficiency counts. So the upgrade should bring predominantly an efficiency improvement and therefore a performance improvement."

When asked to compare his two drivers, Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg, Brawn was coy on which he thought had performed best, blaming track conditions for blurring results.

"Until we get Michael and Nico on track at the same time it's impossible to judge between the two of them.

"I don't think they know where they are because conditions and tracks make comparisons different but I think both drivers are looking competitive.

"They both look very good. You don't want to see either driver trailing behind and judging from the tests on different days they are close."

USF1 asking for a delay until 2011........They are only 3 hours south of me but security is actually tighter there than the NASCAR shops surprisingly

Bart

Thanks for that bart ,security does not surprise me , i mean compared to F-1 cars NASCAR's are like the little wooden toys that kids play with :lol: These are really high tech cutting edge machines and i am sure espionage still exists...

cheers Oz :cigar:

Still i hope all goes well for them it would seem the financial crisis is still a big problem state side over here interest rates are on the rise again good economy they reckon :cigar:

Thanks for that bart ,security does not surprise me , i mean compared to F-1 cars NASCAR's are like the little wooden toys that kids play with :lol: These are really high tech cutting edge machines and i am sure espionage still exists...

Espionage exists in F1 for sure. Look at McLaren not so long ago.... :lol:

As for NASCARS.... Meh! Nothing compared to F1. ;)

I really dont understand how USF1 was granted a place on the grid considering they and all new teams should have proven to the FIA that they 'Had what it takes' to bring an F1 team to all the meets/races on time? :huh:

There are all sorts of rumours going around, another being Stefan GP and USF1 merging. I can't see that happening. :cigar:

Hendrick Motor Sports was a customer of mine at my last job, got to tour their facilities, top notch but its no F1 garage

When I was with Panasonic, I had badges to the F1 pits at the US Grand Prix race every year, they hussled us in and out and never let us stand around too long in one spot, but still to meet the mechanics and crew was a treat

Maybe Bernie and Tony George will come to some compromise down the road, especially now that F1 is back in Canada. Logistics wise, it just makes sense to do the the 2 races here in North America.

Bart

Hendrick Motor Sports was a customer of mine at my last job, got to tour their facilities, top notch but its no F1 garage

When I was with Panasonic, I had badges to the F1 pits at the US Grand Prix race every year, they hussled us in and out and never let us stand around too long in one spot, but still to meet the mechanics and crew was a treat

Maybe Bernie and Tony George will come to some compromise down the road, especially now that F1 is back in Canada. Logistics wise, it just makes sense to do the the 2 races here in North America.

Bart

well said Bart it has always had me miffed as to why f-1 teams waste so much money when why can't they do all the races in a said geographical area ,instead of going to and from all over the place

Hamilton parts ways with Hamilton senior

Anthony-Hamilton_2412798.jpg

Lewis Hamilton has parted ways with his father Anthony, who will no longer be managing the 2008 World Champion's career.

Hamilton Senior has managed his son throughout his motorsport career, culminating in the signing of a rather lucrative five-year McLaren deal.

But, as of this season, the younger Hamilton has opted to go it alone.

"I'm 25 now - and I think it was inevitable that there had to be change at some point," the McLaren driver told Autosport.

"Over the past few years, we looked around to see if we could bring someone else into the picture to help with the situation - whether to help with guidance, or sponsors, or whatever it was.

"We looked at it and I just never felt comfortable with anyone else. At the time I loved my dad being my manager and taking care of things, because I trust him.

"Other managers you hire as employees, but my dad is my dad. I know he does things for only the right reasons, and I can just trust him with my full heart.

"But all of this time we were discussing bringing someone else in, we never quite had the confidence to do it. I think we're now at the point where we are looking to take that step - and I think it is a positive step.

"I'm 25. I am my own man now, I've been in F1 for quite a while now and I wouldn't have been able to do it without my dad. He's done a fantastic job. But he's done that job."

The Brit is now looking forward to some father-son time as Anthony returns to the role of father not manager.

"You see, because my dad has always been my manager, and because we've always been working and doing business stuff, I've not fully had that relationship with my dad since when I was maybe a kid and we went radio control car racing - and did it just for fun.

"So that's what I want, and at some stage I am going to have to have a new manager. My dad will guide me and help me with the transition, and even the selection, but as a dad."

MIKA: This was inevitable....

Anthony does seem to be a doting, caring father but even with the best interests at hand, whenever a parent is ones manager, it can often also ruin a relationship should things go sour. Perhaps it is best before anything negative occurrs in Lewis' career which I highly doubt will. He is a great driver.

Lotus confirm CNN sponsorship

Fernandes_2419098.jpg

Lotus F1 Racing have announced broadcasting giants, CNN, as their newest partner for the 2010 Championship.

The team, headed up by Tony Fernandes, confirmed on Tuesday that CNN International had entered a long-term relationship with Lotus, which will feature the CNN logo on the T127 car as well as the drivers' race-suits.

"We are very proud to welcome CNN into the Lotus Racing family," said Fernandes.

"It is a sign of the positive impact we have already made in the global business market that such a prestigious brand, familiar to millions around the world as the definitive source of news and current affairs, has made the decision to partner with us.

"The whole team and I are looking forward to working with CNN in the months and years to come on some very exciting campaigns."

Rani Raad, senior vice president CNN International Advertising Sales, added: "The combination of two such iconic and aspirational global brands fits perfectly with CNN International's worldwide reach and brand positioning.

"This unique partnership with Lotus Racing takes CNN International into a new era of marketing and promotions and puts us in front of a worldwide audience of millions."

MIKA: What a fantastic 'catch' for Lotus! CNN as a sponsor... :lol:

Jordan: Stefan GP will be on the grid

eddiejordan-2010_2415650.jpg

Former F1 team boss turned commentator Eddie Jordan says Stefan GP will compete in this year's Championship despite not having an entry.

Jordan, who was widely scoffed at when he said Michael Schumacher would race for Mercedes GP long before the team confirmed the German's signing, reckons it's only a matter of time before the team is granted place on the grid.

Jordan told the BBC: "My understanding is that they will be in Bahrain with ex-Champion Jacques Villeneuve driving."

As for their second race-seat, EJ says it will be taken by a paying driver but that doesn't mean that the team is short of cash as he expects YouTube's Chad Hurley to be confirmed as a sponsor.

"Don't be surprised if the backer of USF1 - YouTube founder Chad Hurley - joins up with Stefanovich," Jordan added.

Stefan GP's chances of making it into the Championship have been boosted by reports that USF1 have asked the FIA if they can defer their entry until 2011.

MIKA: EJ is generally spot on with the Paddock gossip and rumours. As stated above, he mentioned MS would return to F1 well before its confirmation so EJ is a reliable source. Also, that is my thought also, I believe Stefan GP will make the grid but I doubt in time for Bahrain. They are still yet to get Bridgstone to supply tires.

Brawn: Mercedes aim to win in Bahrain

Michael_Schumacher_Ross_Brawn_2010_011.jpg

Ross Brawn has made it pretty clear that he aims to win in Bahrain. The Mercedes team principal told the official F1 website that his target is always to win the next race, and the next race happens to be Bahrain.

"Our objective is to start [winning] in Bahrain. Once we see where everybody is, we’ll see what sort of task that we have to carry out and how we need to react. Our target is always to win the next race. And the next race is Bahrain."

Brawn admitted the car wasn't quite where the team had hoped, pace wise, but he hoped the updated package, to be introduced at the first race in Bahrain will push the team towards the top of the timesheets.

"We are not quite as well prepared as I would like to be," said Brawn, "but we are getting there. It’s been quite a difficult winter.

"I think as it was the first winter with 450 people, as opposed to 700, we’ve felt the loss in a few areas. But I’m reasonably happy with the car. It’s showing good promise."

When asked whether reports that the car was around a second off the pace of Ferrari and McLaren, Brawn replied: "I don’t think that it is a second.

"You have to look into the details of what has been done. I think that on our high fuel runs and our race runs, when we get the car right, we are competitive. It’s just a little tricky to get the car right. Michael hasn’t carried out a proper low-fuel qualifying run, but Nico (Rosberg) had a go with lower fuel and it was definitely not bad. He ended the third test day with the best overall time. So I don’t think that we are a second away.

"We have an update for Bahrain. We decided not to bring it to Barcelona but leave it until the last moment. We’ve learnt to assess and run pieces without testing them. It’s crucial when you have seasons without testing, as you have to bring upgrades to races during the year. In Barcelona we had little bits and pieces, but the major upgrade will be introduced in Bahrain."

Renault gets Russian Lada sponsorship

Renault_R30_Robert_Kubica_Valencia_2010_02.jpg

Renault have seemingly struggled to find a title sponsor for the 2010 season after the turmoil of 2009 and 'crash-gate', which hit the team hard.

Now, it has emerged that the Russian Prime Minister, Vladimir Putin has announced the Russian car brand Lada, will sponsor the Renault team, which is majority owned by Genii Capital, a Swiss investment firm.

Carlos Ghosn, Renault's Chief Executive met with Mr Putin to agree upon a deal which is also likely to see the French marque increase it's stake in the Lada parent company, Avtovaz. A stake which already stands at 25%.

"We will sponsor this activity (the F1 team) as a first step, and do not rule out later increasing our financial participation in the project," Putin is quoted as saying by the Moscow news agency EFE.

The partnership will no doubt be an outcome of Renault's latest signing, the young Russian, Vitaly Petrov. Putin hailed it as a "great symbol of cooperation" between the French marque and Russia.

Team US F1 shuts down operation

1235505274.jpg

SOURCE: Autosport

Team US F1's Formula 1 hopes appeared to be over on Tuesday, with high level sources revealing to AUTOSPORT that the outfit has now effectively closed down.

Against the backdrop of weeks of uncertainty about the future of the American team, which had been struggling to get a car ready for the start of the season, sources have revealed team personnel have now been informed they are no longer required as the operation could not continue in its present guise.

AUTOSPORT understands that shortly before lunchtime, production manager Dave Skog informed those staff who had remained at the team during its recent troubles that they were being put on unpaid leave - even though they remain technically employed.

That move, which has not yet been officially confirmed, effectively brings an end to the F1 dreams of team principal Ken Anderson and sporting director Peter Windsor who had hoped to create a genuine American grand prix team unless a fresh cash injection can be found.

It is understood that neither Anderson nor Windsor were present at the factory while the announcement was made, and neither was available for comment about the latest situation.

Calls to the factory switchboard have also gone unanswered, with a message stating that the number is temporarily not working.

The failure of Team US F1 to make it onto the grid means that there is now a vacancy for the Serbian outfit Stefan Grand Prix, which has been sitting on the sidelines for several months.

US F1 will need to be officially withdrawn from the championship if Stefan GP is going to have a chance of getting a late entry - although such a situation may be possible if FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting's inspection visit to the American team's factory last week showed that the outfit was not capable of competing.

It is also not clear what US F1 investor Chad Hurley will now do. The American YouTube co-founder, who had invested in the team, has been linked with potential deals with both Stefan GP and Campos Meta in recent weeks - and it is possible he may choose to remain in F1 through involvement with another team.

MIKA: I told you so... :cigar:

Spot on Mika , you did tell us ,oh what are my Lotto numbers this week :)

We all know Americans cannot build cars :)

P.S only kidding :cigar: