FORMULA 1 - 2010

Prost joins stewards for Bahrain

1268339525.jpg

Four times world champion Alain Prost will be the drivers' representative on the stewards' panel at the Bahrain Grand Prix this weekend.

A former Formula 1 driver will join the stewards at every race this year as part of the FIA's efforts to ensure transparency and complete fairness in all decisions.

Prost contested 199 grands prix between 1980 and 1993, winning championships with McLaren in 1985, 1986 and 1989, and Williams in 1993.

He subsequently returned to the sport to run his own Prost Grand Prix team after taking over Ligier in 1997, although the squad folded due to a lack of sponsorship before the start of the 2002 season.

The 55-year-old Frenchman has since raced in the Andros Trophy ice racing series, where he is now a double champion.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alonso takes victory in Ferrari 1-2

Fernando_Alonso_Ferrari_Bahrain_01b.jpg

Fernando Alonso got his Ferrari career off to a glorious start by leading team-mate Felipe Massa to a comfortable one-two in the Bahrain Grand Prix - but only after Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull lost power while leading.

1268576370.jpg

The German still managed to limp to the flag in fourth, with Lewis Hamilton benefiting from his problem to get on the podium for McLaren. The Mercedes of Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher completed the top six.

Vettel had looked comfortable in the lead for most of the race, pulling out a five second advantage prior to the leaders' sole pitstops during laps 15 to 17.

Alonso had taken second from Massa through the first corners at the start, and then closed a little on Vettel by taking fresh tyres one lap sooner. He continued to chip away at the gap in the second half of the race, getting to within 1.5s and bringing Massa along with him, but Vettel seemed to have enough in hand to keep the Ferraris at bay.

That suddenly changed at the start of lap 34 though, as Vettel abruptly slowed on the pits straight, reporting a loss of power that the team later diagnosed as an exhaust problem.

Alonso was soon all over the back of the hobbled Red Bull, blasting past and into the lead on the run into the final corner, with Massa followed him on the next straight to take second.

Just in case Massa had any thoughts of mounting a challenge for the lead, Alonso then fired off a string of new fastest race laps to build a 5s margin and set himself up to take his first victory since the 2008 Japanese GP. He continued to set fastest laps in the closing stages to keep himself amused, eventually extending his lead over Massa into double figures.

Hamilton ran behind Rosberg at first, but jumped the Mercedes in the first pitstops. He picked up third from the slowing Vettel with 11 laps to go.

After that Vettel managed to get a little more speed from his car and held on to fourth, finishing just ahead of Rosberg.

Schumacher ran a few seconds behind his team-mate throughout his comeback race, fending off world champion Jenson Button (McLaren) and Mark Webber (Red Bull), who swapped places when they pitted in unison on lap 16.

Webber had a trouble-free run despite his Red Bull emitting huge plumes of white smoke on the opening lap. Unsighted in this cloud, Renault's Robert Kubica and Force India's Adrian Sutil touched and spun, although they recovered to 11th and 12th.

An early pitstop allowed Kubica to set some rapid times and vault a few midfield cars, but in the end he could not get close enough to 10th placed Rubens Barrichello's Williams. Force India had the consolation of ninth position for Sutil's team-mate Tonio Liuzzi.

Rookies Vitaly Petrov and Nico Hulkenberg had tough races, with the Williams spinning in the fast downhill corners following the new loop early on, and Petrov having to park in the pits with a suspension problem - which he felt he may have caused by hitting a kerb too hard. Prior to that the Renault had run 11th thanks to a fast start.

Lotus managed to get both cars to the flag, with Heikki Kovalainen and Jarno Trulli within 3s of the pace at times on their way to 15th and 16th, although Trulli had to nurse a mechanical problem in the final laps.

The other two new teams did not last long. Karun Chandhok crashed his Hispania on lap two, and team-mate Bruno Senna had a suspected hydraulic problem 16 laps later. Virgin also posted two early retirements, with hydraulic issues stopping Lucas di Grassi after two laps and Timo Glock hitting gearbox trouble just after passing Kovalainen for the lead of the unofficial newcomers' class.

Sauber was the other team forced to retire both cars, as Pedro de la Rosa and Kamui Kobayashi suffered hydraulic gremlins mid-race.

Massa_Alonso_Domenicali_Hamilton_Bahrain_Podium.jpg

Schumacher regrets lack of action

1268576982.jpg

Michael Schumacher said he enjoyed his return to racing at the Bahrain Grand Prix, although the German suggested the strategies this year will not make for great racing.

Schumacher finished the race in sixth position, over 40 seconds behind winner Fernando Alonso, after a quiet event in which he was unable to make progress after the start.

With no refuelling allowed, Schumacher believes the race strategies don't allow for much variation, although he said his race had been 'good fun'.

"It's the start and then after it is just sort of go your pace and not do mistakes," Schumacher told the BBC.

"Overtaking is basically impossible, other than if somebody makes a mistake - Lewis had a little one so Nico was able to pass him, but got back past at the pitstop. That's about it.

"That's the action we are going to have with unfortunately this kind of environment of race strategy.

"But, anyway, it was good fun. Especially the beginning and now we are going to work forward in order to catch up what is in front of us."

The seven-time champion admitted he struggled with his tyres after so many laps, but said that was just part of getting back into the groove after three years without racing.

"Well, there is the new rules with the tyres that everybody has to cope with," Schumacher added.

"I struggled a little bit with those, I have to say, but after three years of not being there I guess it is natural that you have to find your way in to new bits and pieces and the team and myself are going to work on that."

MIKA: Nico and Schumi done really well. Whilst the car seems super reliable, it would be nice if they had a little more pace to challenge for position(s). :cigar:

Wirth: Virgin pace justifies CFD

1268582278.jpg

Virgin Racing's technical director Nick Wirth says his team's performance at the Bahrain Grand Prix justifies its all-CFD design approach.

Virgin was the best of the new teams in qualifying yesterday and was running in front of its direct rivals before both Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi were forced to retire.

Di Grassi suffered a hydraulic fitting failure, similar to those that had hindered him during the weekend. Glock was forced to retire after losing his gears.

Wirth admitted the double retirement was disappointing, but he believes the team's approach to not use a wind tunnel has been justified by its performance during the weekend.

"So we leave our first grand prix disappointed that we did not manage to get either car to the finish but at least we haven't had a repeat of any of our winter testing problems," he said.

"Most importantly, we now know that our faith in the all-CFD design approach was justified, as we have demonstrated that we have built a competitive Formula 1 car.

"That is one reward that we can take away from this weekend. Finally, congratulations to Lotus Racing on achieving a two-car finish in their first race.

"It is a fantastic achievement for a new team and I hope we can get Timo and Lucas to the flag in Melbourne in two weeks' time."

Lotus boss hails dream result in Bahrain

1268580943.jpg

Lotus boss Tony Fernandes was short for words to describe his happiness after the team got both its cars to the finish of the Bahrain Grand Prix on its first outing.

Lotus was the only of the new teams to have a car at the chequered flag, after Heikki Kovalainen finished in 15th position, a lap down on race winner Fernando Alonso.

Team-mate Jarno Trulli was classified in 17th three laps down after being hit by a hydraulic problem late in the race.

"I'm completely over the moon," said Fernandes. "I cannot describe the feeling. Six months of work and to have both cars finish is just unbelievable. We're thrilled, we're happy and the spirit in the team is fantastic.

"I'm really proud of Jarno and of Heikki and everyone here. It's a great start and better than I could have dreamt of. We wanted to finish the race and to do so ahead of established teams is fantastic.

"From here we keep going. Before the race Clive Chapman gave me Colin Chapman's old Lotus cap and said 'when you win the first race you'll be the man to throw this up in the air like my Dad used to.'

"That meant a lot to me, it was a wonderful gesture and it's like handing over the mantle of one of motor racing's great dynasties."

Technical chief Mike Gascoyne said he was very proud of the team following the result.

"I'm very very proud of the whole team," said Gascoyne. "Everyone here, and back in Hingham. Firstly I have to say thank you to both drivers. They drove great races - Jarno struggling early on but when he changed to the soft tyre he was much more competitive.

"Apologies to Heikki because he may have suffered from the strategy, and apologies to Jarno because he had a hydraulics problem and he had to slow down to get the car to the finish, but overall a great result."

Spark plug caused Vettel power loss

56734_2.jpg

Red Bull Racing has revealed that it was a faulty spark plug, not a broken exhaust, that cost Sebastian Vettel a potential victory in the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix.

The young German was leading the race when his Renault engine lost power from lap 33 onwards, dropping him to fourth place by the chequered flag.

The initial assumption from the rough engine note was that Red Bull’s innovative exhaust system – which features exhaust exits positioned much lower than on other cars to increase the efficiency of the rear diffuser – had overheated.

But further investigation by the team identified a different cause.

“Our earlier race report stated that Sebastian Vettel’s loss of power on lap 33 of the Bahrain Grand Prix was due to an exhaust problem,” said a team statement.

“However, further investigations by the team have proven that the loss of power was actually due to a spark plug failure and not the exhaust.”

BAHRAIN GP RESULTS:

POS DRIVER TEAM

1. ALONSO Ferrari

2. MASSA Ferrari +16.0s

3. HAMILTON McLaren +23.1s

4. VETTEL Red Bull +38.7s

5. ROSBERG Mercedes +40.2s

6. SCHUMACHER Mercedes +44.1s

7. BUTTON McLaren +45.2s

8. WEBBER Red Bull +46.3s

9. LIUZZI Force India +53.0s

10. BARRICHELLO Williams +62.4s

11. KUBICA Renault +69.0s

12. SUTIL Force India +82.9s

13. ALGUERSUARI Toro Rosso +92.6s

14. HULKENBERG Williams +1 lap

15. KOVALAINEN Lotus +2 laps

16. BUEMI Toro Rosso +3 laps

17. TRULLI Lotus +3 laps

R. DE LA ROSA Sauber +21 laps

R. SENNA HRT +32 laps

R. GLOCK Virgin +33 laps

R. PETROV Renault +36 laps

R. KOBAYASHI Sauber +38 laps

R. DI GRASSI Virgin +47 laps

R. CHANDHOK HRT +48 laps

DRIVER STANDINGS:

POS: DRIVER: POINTS:

1. Fernando Alonso 25

2. Felipe Massa 18

3. Lewis Hamilton 15

4. Sebastian Vettel 12

5. Nico Rosberg 10

6. Michael Schumacher 8

7. Jenson Button 6

8. Mark Webber 4

9. Vitantonio Liuzzi 2

10. Rubens Barrichello 1

CONSTRUCTORS STANDINGS:

POS: DRIVER: POINTS:

1. Ferrari 43

2. McLaren 21

3. Mercedes GP 18

4. Red Bull 16

5. Force India 2

6. Williams 1

7. Renault 0

8. Toro Rosso 0

9. Lotus F1 Racing 0

10. Virgin Racing 0

Well I don't know about you guys but thank heavens the Formula 1 season has started! :cigar:

In my opinion, I'm relieved the Bahrain GP is over and done with, it is my least favourite race to watch and looking at the 'No refuelling' rule, it has made it even more tiresome to watch. In this instance it was great regardless as it introduced new teams, rule changes and drivers as well as a known face returning in michael Schumacher.

The rule with the no refuelling is something I personally do not enjoy, I kind of liked the tactics when a driver pulled into the pits, changed his tyres and refuelled with 'x' amount of fuel for 'x' amount of laps. It is a strategy that saw many teams either win or lose.

Perhaps races like Melbourne, SPA, Germany, Monacco, Valencia and Japan will prove more interesting with overtaking? :cigar:

Not much to say about the new starters other than Lotus who have done really well considering however as for HRT, I think the results speak for themselves.... ;)

Perhaps the FIA should have allowed Stefan GP entry, its the old Toyota, I am sure it would have done well comparatively speaking?

The results for the first race are pretty good, Ferrari are back in force with Alonso and Massa, Red Bull are strong (Shame about Vettel), McLaren are up there with Hamilton and Mercedes GP have performed well for their return to F1 after 50 years absence from F1, both drivers Rosberg and Schumi are obviously tough competition. For the new commers, Lotus have achieved an exceptional result whilst HRT, not such a great performance but that was to be expected. :)

Anyway, please feel free to share your thoughts and or opinions, bring on Melbourne. ;)

Fry: F1 needs to react to Bahrain bore

Nick-Fry_2431471.jpg

Mercedes MD Nick Fry has added his voice to the growing chorus calling for the FIA to react quickly to the lack of action on display in Bahrain.

Already Michael Schumacher, Martin Whitmarsh and Jenson Button have pointed out the flaws in this year's regulations that turned the season-opening Bahrain GP into a high-speed procession.

With the ban on refuelling, the need to preserve tyres, the downforce of the cars and plumes of hot dirty air, there wasn't a single overtaking move of note - except those on Seb Vettel's ailing Red Bull - throughout Sunday's 49-lap race.

"I think it would be bad if we didn't react," Fry told Autosport.

"I think we have all seen a race that was far from the most exciting that we have ever seen, and what we now need to do is between us have a look at it and establish what we do need to do.

"Technical changes are obviously very difficult to make, and expensive. But I think we should look at both the technical side and the sporting side, with Bernie and the FIA, and see what we can do about it.

"The most important people are the customers - they are the people who pay to come to races, or watch it on television. We are beholden on them to put on a good show and we should see what we should do."

One suggestion, which was raised by McLaren's Whitmarsh, is that all teams be forced to make two pit stops, thereby encouraging drivers to push harder without the fear of ruining their tyres before they get a new set.

This idea has been backed by Red Bull's Christian Horner. "I think the problem, with the way the format of the races are, is that you are in danger of one stop races at all events.

"I think we should consider whether we do two mandatory stops. It seems ridiculous that the guys train like hell for one stop."

He added: "We've only had one snapshot today, so perhaps we should review it after the first three or four races. Everybody thought I didn't want it because of tyre degradation, but I think we have shown today that tyre degradation isn't a problem for Red Bull."

MIKA: Year in, year out, new rules are made which in my opinion, is ruining F1 as a spectator sport and even moreso, the sport itself. Save your tyres...save your fuel.....save your place on the grid. What happened to good old fashioned racing?

Lets start with the tyres.

I believe F1 should have more than one supplier of tyres which means teams can choose who they have as a supplier and have them develop compounds better suited to their chassis and set up. Yes, I know, "Ferrari did that and they dominated" so what? If a team can not afford to keep up with some of the others, they shouldnt be in F1 anyway.

In the least case, there should be two tyre suppliers, lets say Michellin and Bridgestone who develop two compounds each (Hard and soft) and its up to the individual teams to select their supplier between the two.

I have done a complete 180 in my opinion since the Bahrain race. Everything has been slowed down to allow for private, smaller teams (Who don't show up for testing) but look at what is happening. Teams now have less cash to spend on development, less time for drivers to test and train, limited allowances to pit during a race, no refuelling, the list goes on. The rules are either changed drastically or not enforced at all.

Looking at the above, it seems the teams are also complaining.

Age Is But A Number For Schumi

Michael-Schumacher_2430506.jpg

Michael Schumacher fans may be bemoaning his P6 in Bahrain while his detractors are rejoicing over it, seeing it as a clear sign that the German no longer has the ability that carried him to seven World titles.

But really, P6 and after a three-year lay-off? Let's see the rest of you do that.

Schumacher hasn't competed in a Formula One grand prix since the 2006 Brazilian race and yet he qualified his car seventh on the grid and finished the race sixth. And in order to claim that sixth he had to keep Mark Webber, a recent grand prix winner, at bay throughout the opening stint of the race. And let's not forget, Schumacher beat the 2009 World Champ Jenson Button on Sunday afternoon.

And while you could argue that he was four seconds behind his team-mate Nico Rosberg, I draw you back to the fact that Schumacher is returning from three years on the sidelines while Rosberg spent that time honing his craft.

So all in all, not bad for a 41 year old...

And it's not just me leaping to realism. When Jacques Villeneuve is impressed with anything Schumacher does then it must be very impressive. And "very impressive" is exactly how Villeneuve described Schumacher's comeback.

I totally disagree with people who be-little schumacher's perfomance in sundays Bahrain GP.... even back in the day, when Schumi was the dominant driver in F1, there were times when he had slipped to 6th or 7th place in the race and no one ever grudged that, but now, at the age of 41 and that too with a hiatus of 3 years, it is a pity that people disregard his talent by just the opening race. Give him some time... and don't forget that this time, schumi is not in a FERRARI... instead he is driving a Mercedes GP car that is still under progress.

I think beating Webber and Button in better cars proves that Michael still has it, the driver most shown up was Jenson. Already the gap between his abilities and Lewis' is miles long and already being analised by McLaren.

'Bahrain cost Karun $500,000 per lap'

Karun-Chandhok_2431398.jpg

Karun Chandhok's Bahrain GP weekend could be one of the most expensive debuts in F1 history with reports claiming his sponsors paid $500,000 per lap.

According to a report in The Times, it is estimated that 'Chandhok's sponsors have paid about $5million so that the Indian rookie can get his first drive in Formula One.'

And, to date, that equates to just over $500,000 per lap after a dismal debut for the 26-year-old.

The Indian racer failed to put in a single lap in any of the practice sessions, completed seven during qualifying and his race was run after just two when he caught a bump that spun him into a barrier, damaging his car's front wing and left-rear wheel.

So $5m, divide by nine, and, well, that's a whole lot of money for a whole lot of nothing. :rolleyes:

DC: Max - and teams - to blame for Bahrain

David-Coulthard_2431803.jpg

David Coulthard has hit out at Max Mosley, blaming the former FIA President for Sunday's boring Bahrain Grand Prix.

According to Coulthard, many of the regulations that were introduced into F1 under Mosley's tenner as head of the FIA all played a role in handing F1 fans arguably the most boring grand prix seen in recent seasons.

"I hope Max Mosley, watching from his ivory tower after relinquishing his post as president of Formula One's governing body last autumn, enjoyed the Bahrain Grand Prix on Sunday," he wrote in his Daily Telegraph column.

"Revs limited to 18,000rpm, the ban on in-race refuelling, standardised gearboxes and engines, a single tyre supplier; all initiatives introduced during his tenure at the FIA, all of which appear to have done little for the show if Bahrain is anything to go on.

"I don't want to sound too melodramatic as I'm sure that given different conditions - rain at Interlagos, say - the race might well have been the classic we all hoped for. But in truth it was processional; a test of reliability rather than racing.

"The ban on refuelling and the requirement to stop at least once for the second available tyre compound resulted in all the top drivers coming in around the same time; the change to the points system had no noticeable effect on overtaking; and even if the drivers had wanted to overtake they could not because the diffusers (which should have been outlawed last year) create too much downforce for the leading cars and too much turbulence for those following."

But it wasn't just Mosley and the FIA have faced Coulthard's scorn as the Scot revealed that the teams had in fact previously debated a mandatory two-stop rule, only to throw it out.

"The teams must take their share of the blame as well. A mandatory two-stop rule was discussed over the winter but some teams felt their machines would go easier on the tyres than others and would not sign up to it. It was a prime example of engineers being unable to put aside their competitive instincts for the greater good.

"Let's hope they start thinking clearly now. Stopping more often would introduce a much greater tactical and 'team' element. It would also mean more potential for mistakes (and, by extension, spectator interest) in the pits."

Coulthard, though, has faith that Formula One will rectify the problem - and fast.

"What is certain is that things can only get better," he wrote. "I refuse to believe this season will turn into a snoreathon given the potent ingredients on the table."

Sauber officially wants 'BMW' dropped

Kamui-Kobayashi1_2423275.jpg

Peter Sauber is set to ask the FIA to change his team's name to 'Sauber', dropping the 'BMW' with which they started the season.

Sauber bought his F1 team back from BMW after the German manufacturer withdrew from Formula One at the end of last season.

At the time, though, he did not request that the team's name be changed back to 'Sauber' and the team started this year's Championship under the name 'BMW-Sauber'.

However, that could change in the coming weeks.

"We will submit an application for a chassis name change, but the timing has yet to be decided," he told Autosport. "It will happen some time this season."

The team is without a title sponsor for this year's Championship with Sauber conceding that he may have to wait until 2011 before bringing any sponsors - title or otherwise - on board.

"We have still a white car unfortunately, because it is impossible to find sponsors during January and February - especially big sponsors," he said.

"Today we are looking for sponsors for the 2011 season. I hope we will find some sponsors for this season."

Button says confidence remains intact

1268740607.jpg

World champion Jenson Button says his confidence remains intact despite being outpaced by McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton at the season-opening race in Bahrain.

Hamilton qualified in fourth, four places ahead of Button, and finished on the podium while his team-mate crossed the finish line over 20 seconds behind in eighth place.

Button reckons he just needs to work with his car's balance to get it to suit his style, but denies his confidence took a hit in Bahrain.

"Not at all," he said when asked if his confidence was dented. "Lewis is an exceptional driver but most of the grid are.

"Going into any team with a driver who has been there for a while they have experience of working with that team.

"I don't believe in any way that he was quicker in qualifying because the team know the way he works and what have you. Everything is 100 per cent equal in top teams these days, which is great.

"I've just got to find something in the balance which suits my driving style more and sitting with the engineers now, they have been really listening to what I have to say and throwing ideas around. So it has been really useful."

Button did admit, however, that he needed to improve his pace in qualifying if he is to match Hamilton.

"I didn't think going into qualifying that he would go fourth and I would go eighth," he added. "I thought it would be very close. Lewis did a better job and he was quicker in qualifying. So that's an area I really want to work on with the car.

"I wasn't pleased with the car that I had in qualifying so there are areas that I really need to improve with this car."

The world champion said the team had been very encouraged by the pace of the car in race trim following a difficult qualifying.

"The good thing is the pace of the car. After qualifying the whole team was disappointed. Not necessarily the positions we were in, but more the time difference to the front row.

"But I think the race showed that we have a car better than we saw in qualifying. We know that it is one lap that we struggle with at the moment. I think maybe with a different layout it would have been a little bit better."

And Button is adamant that he can take a step forward in the next race in Australia.

"I am happy with the way the weekend has gone. I would rather have got more points but that didn't happen. I go to the next race confident that we can take a step more."

Schu says first GP met his expectations

57049_2.jpg

Michael Schumacher says he had never been expecting to turn up at his comeback race and immediately display the kind of dominance that characterised much of the first part of his Formula 1 career.

The seven-time world champion marked his return to racing action after three years in retirement with an unremarkable sixth-place finish in Bahrain for the new Mercedes GP team.

But although the W01 was not quick enough to challenge for the top places, Schumacher still found himself in the rare position of trailing his team-mate for the whole race weekend – although the 41-year-old proved much closer to young compatriot Nico Rosberg in Sunday’s grand prix.

Schumacher, however, says he was satisfied with both his fitness levels and overall performance given his three-year hiatus – adding that he never thought he would be the man to beat straight away.

“With regards to the fitness, this race was not at all difficult for me and I was not exhausted at all,“ he told his official website.

“This is partly due to the fact that those tyres, in that heat, do not allow for more speed.

“But all in all I have to say: I am very, very happy and proud about how it went, considering I was completely out for three years and did not have a lot of driving for preparation.

“It would be strange to assume that I would come in, sit in the car and drive circles around the others – I, for my part, did not assume that in any case."

The German star added that he was pleased to discover that he didn’t feel any particular nerves before his 249th F1 start – although pre-race engagements meant he missed out on his traditional nap before going to the grid.

“What was nice was that I was very calm and relaxed prior to the race; as I was in former years,“ Schumacher said.

“The only thing I did not manage to do this time was to sleep shortly before the start – the photos and the drivers parade simply took too much time.“

Williams confident Hulk will deliver

57061_2.jpg

Williams technical director Sam Michael is confident it won’t be long before Nico Hulkenberg produces the kind of performances the team is expecting from him following the rookie’s difficult debut in Bahrain.

Hulkenberg, the reigning GP2 champion, started promisingly last weekend as he outpaced veteran team-mate Rubens Barrichello in all three practice sessions, two of which saw him claim top-10 positions.

But a small error on his final Q2 lap contributed to him qualifying half a second adrift of the Brazilian in 13th before a messy start to the race, including a wild spin across the gravel which damaged his FW32, contributed to him finishing a lapped 14th.

Michael, however, thinks the highly-rated German youngster is developing well and is sure there are much better days to come.

“Nico handled himself well,” Michael said.

“He was quick throughout practice, but then he made a small, but time costly, mistake in qualifying.

He then had a bit of a messy race.

“Nico is a smart guy who's developing a great relationship with his engineers, Tom McCullough and Andrew Murdoch, and I know he'll deliver.”

Technical problems on Friday, which particularly affected Barrichello’s car, had left the Grove-based team playing catch-up over the weekend.

And while Williams's new lead driver still managed to salvage a point from the opening round, Michael says the FW32 will prove more competitive once the issues that handicapped its performance in Bahrain are resolved.

“We had quite a few issues to sort out in the days leading up to the Grand Prix and it became apparent early on that we would have some fire-fighting to do in the build-up to the race to ensure we finished on Sunday,” he added.

“Because of that, we had three or four things on the FW32 in Bahrain that we couldn't change quickly.

“Most of those elements can be corrected over the next couple of races."

MIKA: I really believe Hulkenberg will be one of the greats of F1 in time. He and vettel will be the new generation and offer classic duels the likes of which we had back in the Mika Hakkinen/Michael Schumacher era.

WEBBERS LAP OF BAHRAIN:

Red Bulls awesome simulator!

Mark Webber takes you for a lap of the Sakhir track in Red Bull's F1 simulator

Check out the link of RBR's fantastic simulator. I'd love one of these at home! :P

Simulator

Hi Mika

just wanted to throw in a quick note of thanks to you for keeping this news thread going. As a Button fan (since his early days at Williams, not a recent thing) I think you're a bit dismissive of a true 'class act' and an honest to goodness gent, but I still very much appreciate your efforts!

Hi Mika

just wanted to throw in a quick note of thanks to you for keeping this news thread going. As a Button fan (since his early days at Williams, not a recent thing) I think you're a bit dismissive of a true 'class act' and an honest to goodness gent, but I still very much appreciate your efforts!

Thanks Onsto. :cigar::P

Whilst I post the F1 news, I sometimes do get carried away with my own personal thoughts as an F1 'fan'. :cigar:

I try to balance both but as you can see, it's not always successful. I love posting the news from various sources so that people on this forum who love F1 can be assured that the news they read is up to date and all at the one source rather than fans having to jump from site to site as there are so many F1 news sites on the net.

In the end, I really wish for this thread to be more of a 'Fans site' compared to a news site so input such as yours, is really appreciated and valued.

Button in a personal sense seems and always has, come accross as a true gent, no doubt about that and I know you're not the only Button fan here. (OZCUBAN) :)

Feel free to keep reading and posting your views and opinions, much appreciated.

Mika.

'Colin would have been proud'

Lotus-nosecone-Barcelona_2424590.jpg

Lotus F1 have received glittering praise after their performance in Bahrain.

The team managed to have both drivers included in the final classification, with Heikki Kovalainen reaching the finish line while Jarno Trulli was forced to stop track side on his final lap. Lotus' performance was in stark contrast to the two other new teams, Virgin and Hispania, who both failed to register a finish.

"I think we are vindicated in our approach, in that we always said we were going to do it steadily and right," team boss Tony Fernandes told Reuters.

"It's a great day for me. We had to build everything from scratch. At the middle of September we only had three staff and an empty factory in Hingham. I am very proud."

Fernandes revealed that Clive Chapman, son of Lotus founder Colin, presented him with his father's black cap which Chapman traditionally threw in the air ever time the team won a race.

"What made the day for me was Clive Chapman coming to me and giving me his father's black cap...he said 'you are the man who is going to carry on my father's tradition'," said Fernandes.

While race wins may seem a long way away, chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne is confident that the team are on the right track.

"If we'd have had another three or six months, we'd have been not far behind the established teams," explained the Englishman.

"We made some compromises; the car is actually over-cooled and we were running tape on the radiators [in Bahrain]. That means we can take weight out of it, we can push it. We think we made the right calls and the right decisions, and now we need to make it quicker.

"We are going to put [the cap] up on the pit wall for every race and when we next need it, it will go up in the air. I thought that was a lovely touch. We'll just have to make sure we need it soon," he added.

Peter Warr, the man who took over the reins at Lotus after Colin Chapman passed way, joined in the chorus of praise.

"I am delighted for them," Warr told Reuters.

"To get two smart cars to the grid and have them finish their first grand prix is an incredible achievement, and in such a short space of time.

"I think when you look in the pits you see a professionalism and a standard of turn-out that makes you think they have been there three or four seasons already. I am absolutely sure Colin would have been proud of them," he exuded.

MIKA: Great stuff from Lotus. :unsure:

Webber hoping for rain in Australia

Mark-Webber-2_2432283.jpg

Mark Webber is hopeful that the unpredictable Melbourne weather will help provide some excitement at next week's Australian GP.

The Red Bull driver hasn't held back in his criticism of the season-opening grand prix, labeling the race 'boring'. With the new regulations the target of Webber's frustration, the Australian hopes that outside forces will come in to play to ensure his home race is an exciting one.

"Bahrain is normally a very good track for racing and didn't turn out as good as we would have liked, but hopefully there's a nice surprise in Melbourne," explained Webber.

"We know the weather here can be very changeable, so lots of things can change very quickly."

Webber endured a frustrating weekend in Bahrain, matched only by that of his team-mate Sebastian Vettel, with the drivers eventually finishing in eight and fourth respectively, with Ferrari claiming a one-two finish.

Despite the Italian team's dominance of the podium places, Webber believes that it's too early to suggest that Ferrari will secure the championship, with the 33-year-old of the opinion that Red Bull are not far behind.

"The bar was lifted very high last year and we know this year is another great opportunity for us. Ferrari just bashed out a one-two in Bahrain, which is very impressive from them, but no one is in a position to talk about championships, it's such early days. We'll find out in August who'll be doing what later in the championship," said the Australian.

MIKA: I love the Melbourne GP, have been every year since it started.

If anyone is about the track come race weekend, let me know and we'll catch up. I'll be at the Moss stand, Row A, seat 8. :unsure:

Schu's return doubles German viewers

Michael-Schumacher_2428816.jpg

German F1 broadcaster RTL has hailed Michael Schumacher's return after their viewing figures almost doubled for the Bahrain GP.

After three years on the sidelines, Schumacher made his return to Formula One at this past weekend's Bahrain GP, qualifying seventh and finishing sixth.

RTL subsequently reported that 10.5 million Germans tuned in to watch Sunday's race, compared to the 5.3 for last year's season-opener.

"We did expect higher figures but we never dared think they would be that much higher," RTL sports chief Manfred Loppe told Reuters.

Lopez hits out at USF1

Jose-Maria-Lopez_2432256.jpg

Jose Maria Lopez has launched a damming tirade against USF1, claiming the team 'hid things' from him.

The Argentine was confirmed as the team's driver in January, but a month later his F1 dream lay in tatters after the team was forced to ask for their entry into the sport to be deferred.

Understandably angry with the manner in which the team was unable to fulfill the promises made to both him and the FIA, Lopez concedes that he was mislead by the team.

"I find it hard to say that we did it wrong," Lopez said at a news conference.

"I think we put too much trust in what people were telling us."

"As soon as I arrived in Charlotte in February, I realised that everything they were saying was not true.

"What happened to us was unthinkable: in 60 years of Formula 1 it never happened that a team signed up and didn't make it. They hid things from us," he added.

Despite the disappointment, the 26-year-old has not given up hope of one day racing in Formula One.

"My idea is to go on, not lay my head down," he said.

"Everybody knows what happened. We are going to go on, even though as of today we have no firm project. Of course it's not the same anymore. There have been many falls and I don't know how long I can take it, or my family.

"It [testing] would be the easiest thing because racing in F1 is almost impossible this year. At some point I will be making the decisions," he concluded.