H. Upmann Mag 46 needs to be opened before shipping

LeafLover

A friend of mine is ordering a 25 box of H. Mag 46's from a different website, and on the website, it says they will be opening the box to add extra packing and if the customer refuses he has to check a box refusing that and holding the website company not liable for any cigars that are ruined during the shipment process.

What do you all think of this?

I think that if your friend was buying from a trusted source he would not need to worry. I don't think that having the retailer open the box prior to shipping is a big deal if he feels they are trustworty. Czar boxes in my experience have always been opened and inspected prior to shipping. It is obviously so in all instances of HQ and PSP purchases. So...if your friend has faith in the retailer it should be of no concern to him tha the box was inspected beforehand.

I think that if your friend was buying from a trusted source he would not need to worry. I don't think that having the retailer open the box prior to shipping is a big deal if he feels they are trustworty. Czar boxes in my experience have always been opened and inspected prior to shipping. It is obviously so in all instances of HQ and PSP purchases. So...if your friend has faith in the retailer it should be of no concern to him tha the box was inspected beforehand.

Thks Chen Man. I know how he feels, being skeptical. After all, it is an investment. Told him about Czar, but he is a bargain hunter. Asked him how much more he would pay for peace of mind and how hard he would kick himself if he paid full price for a box of fakes that was 20 bucks less.

I agree with you, but to each their own. Everyone has to decide for themselves how much peace of mind is worth. Good luck to your friend though.

I like having my boxes opened and inspected, as the Czar does. Without that you might be in for some bad surprises when you open that box and it has problems. Even a dependable dealer can send you a box with busted up feet or other problems.

If I get a box that has NOT been opened, I open it immediately to inspect. If you fail to do this you have no recourse if the cigars are not in good shape when you open them.

I like having my boxes opened and inspected, as the Czar does. Without that you might be in for some bad surprises when you open that box and it has problems. Even a dependable dealer can send you a box with busted up feet or other problems.

If I get a box that has NOT been opened, I open it immediately to inspect. If you fail to do this you have no recourse if the cigars are not in good shape when you open them.

As a rule I open anything that is not opened.

I wouldn't worry about the extra packing. It's probably a sheet of bubble wrap that will keep the cigars from banging around and being damaged during transit.

I wouldn't worry about the extra packing. It's probably a sheet of bubble wrap that will keep the cigars from banging around and being damaged during transit.

Thanks for the reply ucla695. Good luck on your team in the ball game today.

Why would one vendor need to add extra packing inside the box with the cigars, while another respectable tobacconist does not do that? I can only hope he is buying the real thing.

The packaging is an added step to ensure the cigars are not damaged during shipment. It is not necessary in standard boxes of smokes often, but it does help cabinet/slb type boxes where there is room for the bundle of smokes to move around. I have had the feet on half of my smokes in an slb severely damaged during shipment from a perfectly respectable tobacconist.

The packaging is an added step to ensure the cigars are not damaged during shipment. It is not necessary in standard boxes of smokes often, but it does help cabinet/slb type boxes where there is room for the bundle of smokes to move around. I have had the feet on half of my smokes in an slb severely damaged during shipment from a perfectly respectable tobacconist.

Oh, I gotcha. Then in that case I can understand why they would do that.

If you really don't want the box opened for collecting purposes, seems like you risk getting a bad box. The cigars don't even have to be damaged during shipping, it could have been prior to that, which would be seen if they inspect and add protection. I assume if you don't waive the inspection you won't be SOL if the box gets damaged during shipping

I ordered a box of siglo 2's that had additional packing in the box. Upon inspection they seemed perfect. Never questioned their authenticity. Good smokes.

My source asked the same question on a different box of cigars... If it's the same source i deal with, which I am thinking I am right! You should be okay. They asked you if its okay to open the box I guess because of an "X" amount of customer boxes were probally damaged on delivery due to weak construction on the cigar boxes. PM if you have any questions about the source.

As other have said it is pretty standard procedure to add a bit of bubble wrap or packing in cabs to prevent damage in shipment. It is also a good idea to have the vendor inspect the box before shipment anyway to prevent other issues such as mold, beetles, and prior shipment damage.

• 3 weeks later...

Friends of mine who use other vendors have stopped asking me such questions because they already know the answer, "I've never had a problem with Czar and if I did, I'm certain they would go above and beyond to make things right." I've never experienced better or more genuine customer service...it's like we're family!

Next time your friend mentions an issue with their vendor, you might tell them how the order process goes with Czar: we tell Lisa what we want and they ship it (or put it in the locker), and they arrive in perfect condition. While he (or she) is checking boxes, you'll be drifting away on a cloud of blue heaven.

Thanks Czar! :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine is ordering a 25 box of H. Mag 46's from a different website, and on the website, it says they will be opening the box to add extra packing and if the customer refuses he has to check a box refusing that and holding the website company not liable for any cigars that are ruined during the shipment process.

What do you all think of this?

I think it shows the vendor is trying to deliver the best product it can while protecting their business. Some boxes need extra packing for long journeys and the H. Mag 46's is one of them.