ISO: Medium sized humidor

reg

I'm a newbie to the hobby but already my starter 20-25 count humidor is too small. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but cost is the most important factor to me. Hoping to get something that can hold a couple/few boxes I guess, as I hear its better not to keep them loose?

Anyway, if anyone has anything for a reasonable price, let me know! Again, don't need anything high end, just something that works! Thanks

Oh, and I'd also take reccomendations if there are any humidors I should check out online anywhere!

If cost is a priority...I and I know many others here would suggest that you forego a second humidor and get yourself a large cooler with a couple pounds of 65% rh beads. Depending on the size of the cooler you purchase you can store well in excess of 20+ boxes. Singles can be stored in empty cigar boxes and placed in your cooler or "cooledor." All you need do is store it out of the sun and someplace cool. You can't go wrong with this option in terms of economy. Good luck.

Definitely not a bad idea. Only thing is that would be almost too big, and not the prettiest thing, although I suppose I can't get something cheap AND perfect.

Something big enough to hold boxes would have to be pretty big anyway I guess, and surely not cheap.

Merry Christmas.

Some of the best recommendations that can be given to someone that is new and wants to begin storing a "few" boxes is to buy a humidor bigger than you ever thought humanly possible to need, and then buy bigger because you will find shortly that if you really enjoy smoking a variety of cigars, you are going to want to have them on hand.

Reg, the humidor pictured on Ebay may look nice, but want kind of warranty does it come with? What type of wood is it made of? Will it hold humidity? For $75 plus the shipping, you would in my opinion be doing yourself a huge favor by going to WalMart and buying a 60 quart Cooler and a few pounds of Humidity beads. Your storage capacity would be larger than the humidor pictured above. You already have a desk top from which you could have your smoking stash stored. I just suggest that you spend your funds wisely. Save your money for more boxes. Buy a coolador for more storage, which will actually store your cigars better, longer and cheaper than the humidor on Ebay.

Merry Christmas.

Some of the best recommendations that can be given to someone that is new and wants to begin storing a "few" boxes is to buy a humidor bigger than you ever thought humanly possible to need, and then buy bigger because you will find shortly that if you really enjoy smoking a variety of cigars, you are going to want to have them on hand.

Reg, the humidor pictured on Ebay may look nice, but want kind of warranty does it come with? What type of wood is it made of? Will it hold humidity? For $75 plus the shipping, you would in my opinion be doing yourself a huge favor by going to WalMart and buying a 60 quart Cooler and a few pounds of Humidity beads. Your storage capacity would be larger than the humidor pictured above. You already have a desk top from which you could have your smoking stash stored. I just suggest that you spend your funds wisely. Save your money for more boxes. Buy a coolador for more storage, which will actually store your cigars better, longer and cheaper than the humidor on Ebay.

Merry christmas, I appreciate the advice and you bring up some good points. My only hesitation to the coolidor is that it is a lot more space and I ever plan on needing(though who really knows...) and it doesn't exactly look nice. Oh, and my girlfriend would probably rip my nuts off if I had an entire cooler to keep cigars in lol. It does seem like the cooler is what everyone recommends though, so I'll give it a bit more thought, thanks!

I also suggest a cooler or other reasonably priced storage container that seals well.

Currently I use 6 70 quart Coleman coolers and 30 of the Sterilite 20qt Gasket-top storage boxes (lime green).

The 20qt can store 5-12 boxes, depending on the size of the cigar box.

They are clear so you can easily see what boxes are stored inside without opening the top like a cooler.

Whatever type of humidor you choose, the most important thing is a good seal!

I sealed both the coolers and the 20qt boxes with Duck Brand "D" Large Gaps shaped window gasket found at Walmart in the paint section $4

The D gasket has self adhesive and attaches to the lid for an excellent airtight seal (fits perfectly on both cooler and 20qt).

- If you look close you can see the white color of the D gasket just under the green gasket on the tops of the 20qt.

Regardless of conventional wood humidor, cooler, food storage container, or gasket-top box- you will need a source of reliable humidification and a digital hygrometer (calibrate with salt test).

Best luck and Happy Holidays!

post-6003-1261768740.jpg

post-6003-1261768754.jpg

post-6003-1261768769.jpg

I really like those smaller sized 20qt boxes! I think I've found what I want! gonna have to make a trip to walmart/target/kmart tomorrow!

The Sterilite 20qt boxes can only be found at Target ($6) and some online vendors.

They will need the extra "D" gasket for the best seal Walmart in the paint section ($4).

With the extra seal they hold RH perfectly.

post-6003-1261791050.jpg

post-6003-1261791057.jpg

post-6003-1261791065.jpg

The Sterilite 20qt boxes can only be found at Target ($6) and some online vendors.

They will need the extra "D" gasket for the best seal Walmart in the paint section ($4).

With the extra seal they hold RH perfectly.

awesome. I'll probably order some online tonight!

I'm a newbie to the hobby but already my starter 20-25 count humidor is too small. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but cost is the most important factor to me. Hoping to get something that can hold a couple/few boxes I guess, as I hear its better not to keep them loose?

Anyway, if anyone has anything for a reasonable price, let me know! Again, don't need anything high end, just something that works! Thanks

Oh, and I'd also take reccomendations if there are any humidors I should check out online anywhere!

*Get on amazon.com, ebay.com & google.com and click "shopping. you will find some fantastic deals. I usually get medium to large table tops, and I've gotten on a blue humidor kick these days. you can determine any cost, what size and humidifiers. try'em. you won't be disappointed! fyi, for ebay.com get on "categories" go into "collectibles" then go into "tobacciana". it will give you among choices "cigars," when you click that, you will see humidors, and then away you go! on amazon go into the furniture and home furnishing choices. type in "cigar humidors" in the search box.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was going to tell you NOT to buy the Ebay humidor. I bought a huge one from there. The wood wasn't kiln dried or they just didn't seal it well. The humidity was all over the place. If that plastic storage container doesn't work and you have an old cooler that you don't use, use that. They work just fine.