Which cigars do you like with white wine?

Wil

With the Christmas season approaching and much wine to be consumed, I've been looking for some cigars to pair with white wine (including sparkling). I did a bit of a search and came across these two threads:

Champagne and cigars: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...c=95610&hl=

White wine and cigars: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...c=30997&hl=

Does anyone know any cigars that go particularly well with whites, including sparkling?

From my perspective, it's more about the wine. I think a crisp wine with good acidic structure will stand up to pretty much any cigar.

Personally I'd stay away from softer, "velvety" whites as I think they are more prone to be adversely affected by cigar smoke.

That is, of course, just my personal opinion.

From my perspective, it's more about the wine. I think a crisp wine with good acidic structure will stand up to pretty much any cigar.

Personally I'd stay away from softer, "velvety" whites as I think they are more prone to be adversely affected by cigar smoke.

That is, of course, just my personal opinion.

I've just picked up a case of Montalto Chardonnay (Mornington Peninsula, Victoria), which certainly fits your description.

I haven't really smoked cigars with white wines before. I was assuming I should steer clear of full bodied smokes, as these might overpower the wine.

With the Christmas season approaching and much wine to be consumed, I've been looking for some cigars to pair with white wine (including sparkling). I did a bit of a search and came across these two threads:

Champagne and cigars: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...c=95610&hl=

White wine and cigars: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...c=30997&hl=

Does anyone know any cigars that go particularly well with whites, including sparkling?

we've certainly covered this before - i am a fan of good fizz, more than either white or red.

and before people recoil in horror, i have talked to richard geoffroy about this - the bloke who is responsible for dom and also a keen cigar cigar fan - he has tested a huge range of cigars, cunab and non, with every vintage of dom. so if good enough for dom...

we've certainly covered this before - i am a fan of good fizz, more than either white or red.

and before people recoil in horror, i have talked to richard geoffroy about this - the bloke who is responsible for dom and also a keen cigar cigar fan - he has tested a huge range of cigars, cunab and non, with every vintage of dom. so if good enough for dom...

A agree with KG here. While not all cigars go well with reds and whites...I've found that every cigar I've tried with champagne has paired remarkeby well. Go figure...

I haven't really smoked cigars with white wines before. I was assuming I should steer clear of full bodied smokes, as these might overpower the wine.

These things are of course subjective. I'm of the opinion that a white which is bright and has good acidic structure will stand up to pretty

much any cigar, with both wine and cigar retaining their flavors - neither negatively altering the other.

I like a nice dessert wine such as a Gewurztraminer with a cigar, especially after good meal. It is a bold and fruity wine and stands up well to just about any cigar. Just be sure not to over chill it.

You have almost a month to experiment. Don't wait until the last minute! :buddies:

I drink a lot of wine and smoke a lot of cigars but paring dry or off dry whites wines isn't something I do. If I was to choose a cigar it would be something light and floral. The two cigars that I think of are HDM des dieux and PLPC.

These sound good, but for me the top would be La Gloria Cubana, and Diplomaticos, both of which have something of a citrus taste to me.

I drink a lot of wine and smoke a lot of cigars but paring dry or off dry whites wines isn't something I do. If I was to choose a cigar it would be something light and floral. The two cigars that I think of are HDM des dieux and PLPC.
I like Sauternes slightly chilled at 55 and Cohiba Siglos.

Some great suggestions there. PLPC is one of my fav smokes, but have never paired it with white wine. Had a nice Chardonnay last night with a PSD4, but thought at the time that a milder cigar would have gone better.

Thanks for this informative thread guys. Up to now I've avoided white wine with cigars - always felt the acidity would ruin the cigar experience, but from reading above I see that, depending on taste and type of cigar, both sweet & dry whites might actually work fine.

From now on I'll not be afraid to light a cigar when drinking white or sparkling wines.

:lol3:

I thought the same, but was pleasantly surprised to find that - for my tastes, anyway - cigars actually go better with white than red.