Hello from Atlanta

jacksfull

Greetings from Atlanta!

Just discovered FoH and registered right away!

I've smoked cigars (if you can call them that) since the 70's, but for the first 10 years it was mostly small domestic MM's. Had my first CC in 1985 and it opened up a whole new world.

I rode out the boom and enjoyed seeing so many new people discover the joys of a good cigar (when one could be found). I was fortunate enough to travel outside the US on a regular basis during that time. However much the Cubans may have been pushing the limit on QC at that time, it was nothing compared to the difficulty finding consistent quality in NC's sold here in the USA. Things are better now, both in NC's and CC's, including availability.

To be fair, in between a fairly steady diet of CC's I still do smoke quite a few NC's (but good ones now). I cherish the CC's in my humidor and dole them out to myself on a limited basis, usually reserving them for special occasions... though lately I've been splurging, making up "special occassions" like the two-and-a-half-day anniversary of the last CC I smoked :D

In NC's I favor those hailing from Nicaragua (or at least using Nic tobacco), then Honduras next. It used to be the other way around, but the quality coming out of Nicaragua has greatly improved over the last 10 years and many rival the power of a Cuban Bolivar or Partagas, though perhaps not the refinement. With a few exceptions, I generally find Dominicans too mild mannered. My current rotation of NC's is heavy on Padillas, Padrons, Camachos and such.

Nevertheless, wherever my NC's originate my benchmark is always, "do they come close to tasting like a Cuban?"... not "are they as good as a Cuban?" There are a lot of very worthwhile and enjoyable NC's, but they rarely make me forget that I'd rather have a good CC instead. Contrary to urban myth, it is not simply being hard to come by that makes CC's so desirable here in the USA. Of course, being BOTL's and FoH's, you knew that already.

I generally gravitate toward Ramon Allones, Montecristo, Partagas and Bolivar in CC's, though I can be happy enough with an H. Upmann, Romeo y Julietta, or Juan Lopez. Never tried Vegas Robaina, Cuaba or Vegueros, but I suspect they may suit me very well if, and when, I get hold of one (have a couple of VR Unicos on the way, and it'll be murder waiting for them to rest!). Cohibas and Trinidads are nice, but a little pricey... therefore left for truly special occasions.

So, there I am in a nutshell! Anybody got a light?

Welcome mate!

I'm an absolute newbie to cigars in general but due to being in Australia it's easy to get cracker cuban cigars cheaper than NC's! Always enjoy reading about the experiences of cigar smokers such as yourself who have experience across all regions for cigars.

• 3 weeks later...