SLR Pacificos

asmith

There have been a couple of old school typed up reviews of this cigar, now finally Rob and Smithy sit down and do a video review of this cigar. We also discuss the merits of past regional releases for the Asia Pacific Region.

<!--id1--><div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div><!--id2-->

Now you tell us that your opinion of the RA Cele Finos is that it "may" turn out in 5 years, but you were so strong in your opinions when you did the review. That sucks really, because most everyone that is going to buy a box has and so now the best and greatest thing is the SLR's, what is going to be pimped next week? Good lord PLEASE don't tell us that you are seriously considering soaking down some cigars for a review, I would hate to lose the communities total respect in such a notion.

Now you tell us that your opinion of the RA Cele Finos is that it "may" turn out in 5 years, but you were so strong in your opinions when you did the review. That sucks really, because most everyone that is going to buy a box has and so now the best and greatest thing is the SLR's, what is going to be pimped next week? Good lord PLEASE don't tell us that you are seriously considering soaking down some cigars for a review, I would hate to lose the communities total respect in such a notion.

Chuck. Look again at the RACF review. Tell me I didn't say 5 years? Tell me I didn't say they were to lay down? God knows I have put 5 boxes away just for that. The RACF shows every bloody trait that it will turn out to be a pearler. It is not a pearler today so yes there is a chance my opinion could be wrong...I don't think so, I would wager a small fortune that I am dead set right.

The SLR Piramide is a different animal. It is showing more now. It will show almost everything within a year to three years. That is my opinion. Is it a better cigar that the RACF...now yes. In 5 years I doubt it.

Hope I have clarified but this is not an exact science. This is subjective opinion based upon what one has tasted over years and decades and having seen how blends evolve over time. I like the SLR Pacifico blend a great deal. It reminds me in the opening third of the best of the SLR DC. Back end needs work/time.

I "Pimped" the Bolivar Petit Belicoso LE, Bolivar Short Bolivar RR, Monte Opens and Partagas D5 LE so hard I can't move a bludger ;)

As for the "dousing test"....why not? If it is crap we will call it. The thread in relation to it provided a great deal of discussion/derrision on the forum. Look at it as an episode of cigar Mythbusters.

I find that dried apricot note to be characteristic of the SLR DC, especially when aged. I know of no other marca with this unique flavor. Good to hear that it's present in the Piramide. Perhaps it bodes well for the future.

I'm betting on the RA CF's being great in 5 years. I thought I understood you say in this review a different story. I am glad that the SLR's are smoking well now, vs the RA's in the future.

As for the soaking issue, because taste is so individual and subjective, it is ludicrous in my opinion to give that notion any credence at all, I can not fathom any other result.

Yes, Rob you do "Bag" those cigars that make you scratch you head and wonder why Habanos even wasted the tobacco. That is why I love it here at FOH, when it smells, looks, tastes like a ****, it really is something from the south end of a north bound horse. ;)

As for the soaking issue, because taste is so individual and subjective, it is ludicrous in my opinion to give that notion any credence at all, I can not fathom any other result.

Chuck, rest assured we will have three - four people at the dousing tasting. My thinking is to taste side by side (same time) doused cigar and au natural cigar from the same young box.

What do I expect? I have no bloody idea ;) I am intrigued however partly because I know several guys around the world who actually do it.

I suppose we are looking for change but will it be for better or worse? is it marginal change, non existant or significant?

Personally, I am never going to douse my young cigars (the theory) because I enjoy them as they are and am a traditionalist in most things. However the next time a member asks about this technique on the forum then I (and others) may have some first hand experience.

Overall I can't see the harm. The forums credibility is based on the experiences of its members and their willingness to openly share their thoughts and opinions. I am sure the forums credibility can survive an afternoon of "dousing", laughter and wine ;)

I really enjoyed this review. I completely agree that the Pacificos are good and will only improve over the next 6 months to 2 years. I have stocked more CF's though, in anticipation of what they will turn into in the long run. I still don't think they are nearly as good as the Estupendos.

If you MUST do the dousing/rinsing experiment, at least add SOME legitimacy to it by seeing that Lise does the dousing privately and gives them back to you blind. That way (unless the rinsed cigar is obvious to the senses) the reviewers will not be influenced by the knowledge of which was rinsed and which was not.

If you MUST do the dousing/rinsing experiment, at least add SOME legitimacy to it by seeing that Lise does the dousing privately and gives them back to you blind. That way (unless the rinsed cigar is obvious to the senses) the reviewers will not be influenced by the knowledge of which was rinsed and which was not.

Thats sounds good in theory, in reality we can't trust Lisa to douse the cigars in only water, I suspect she would find a poison to douse them in. She would see this as an opportunity to top the pair of us in one go. :D

Thats sounds good in theory, in reality we can't trust Lisa to douse the cigars in only water, I suspect she would find a poison to douse them in. She would see this as an opportunity to top the pair of us in one go. :cigar:

One has to wonder about doing business with an outfit where one employee would have a desire to poison a co-worker and the owner. What would she do if a customer should offend her?

One has to wonder about doing business with an outfit where one employee would have a desire to poison a co-worker and the owner. What would she do if a customer should offend her?

I don't think anyone has ever dared :lol:

Shoot me an e-mail if you get the chance to go over the best way to conduct this dousing test. I am still unsure of the actual proceedure as I see different guys doing it different ways.

Welcome to the House of Czar. :lol:

I don't think anyone has ever dared :D

Shoot me an e-mail if you get the chance to go over the best way to conduct this dousing test. I am still unsure of the actual proceedure as I see different guys doing it different ways.

No PM is required. Just do as the doctor ordered. "Rinse" the cigar under running tap water and then smoke it.

Here's the operative post from WayneN (aka MRN's trusted butler) at ICC:

I always wet the wrappers of young cigars before smoking. The wrapper burns and tastes better.

As the cigar burns. The wrapper becomes warm. Moisture evaporates from the wrapper, makes it extremely dry, and ruins the burning.

Wetting the wrapper beforehand rectifies this.

I just run some tap water onto the cigar before I smoke it. Don’t worry if the wrapper gets 100% soaked with water. Once the cigar burns you’ll be amazed to find the wrapper returns to perfect moisture content. You have to try this to believe it.

Old cigars burn very well at lower RH. I don’t do this to very old cigars (over 20 years). For cigars less than 10 years old I always do this. For cigars 10 to 20 years, it depends on the particular cigar. Some cigars burn better than others, depending on the particular vitola.

No PM is required. Just do as the doctor ordered. "Rinse" the cigar under running tap water and then smoke it.

Here's the operative post from WayneN (aka MRN's trusted butler) at ICC:

Thanks Van. Our Technical Division can probably Handle that :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I absolutely do not remember that "controversy" that Tampa was pointing to. I remember the video review of

the RA Cel.Finos and what I took from it was that they were ball-shrinking strong and showed tremendous

potential for growth in the future. Maybe you did say BUY heavy for the same reasons, but I am sure that

Tampa had been drinking or was posting first thing in the morning. He seemed riled.

As for "dipping" cigars, one word of advice. DO NOT let the cigar be a wick for moisture. IF you dip, dip

the cigar in headfirst BEFORE cutting it, and only briefly, kind of like when the machine tells you to 'quickly

insert and remove your card' from the gas pump. Then cut the cigar and smoke as normal.

• 11 months later...

So to actually speak of the Pacifico, I've smoked two recently & these are excellent cigars. SLR used to be my favorite brand. Over the past couple years I've lost my taste for most of them, but the Pacifico is a gem.