Partagas 8-9-8 question

PADDYWHACK121272

A friend brought me a 10 box of Partagas 8-9-8 (varnished) back from a trip to Portugal - smoked one and they are pretty good apart from needing one or two touches of the lighter. The question is I cannot find a box code anywhere on the box / packaging - i am not (really) concerned that they are fakes but i would like to know how old they are. there is a little bloom (i think) appearing on the sticks - the feel aged to me - and if they are in their prime i'll be smoking rather than storing...any ideas guys?...

post-5814-1255612199.jpg

post-5814-1255612308.jpg

post-5814-1255612344.jpg

One of my all time favorites. The 898s are spectacular. And your right about the punch they pack.

Not to imply anything whatsoever - it's interesting that the Portugal seal would be on the inner and not an outer box.

And how come the ten count box cigars are called 8-9-8, and not 3-4-3?

From the pic, it looks like you've got just a touch of mold - easily wiped off.

Not to imply anything whatsoever - it's interesting that the Portugal seal would be on the inner and not an outer box.

And how come the ten count box cigars are called 8-9-8, and not 3-4-3?

From the pic, it looks like you've got just a touch of mold - easily wiped off.

"Eagle Eye" Colt...always with an amazing observation. I went through my humidors and found some Varnished 8-9-8 boxes..one EMS and the other from Germany both of the Gov. decals on the inner box. As for the 8-9-8 on a ten count box...????

As for the 8-9-8 on a ten count box...????

Sorry - tongue planted firmly in cheek. I'm just joking that if they're called 8-9-8 due to how they're layered, shouldn't the ten count be called 3-4-3 :unsure:

I guess it's not very funny when you have to explain it.... :smartass:

I went through my humidors and found some Varnished 8-9-8 boxes..one EMS and the other from Germany both of the Gov. decals on the inner box.

Thanks for checking - I've not seen that before that I can recall.

• 2 weeks later...

Colt clued into the most pertinent facts. 8-9-8 refers to a box of cigars with three layers. One of 8, one of 9 and one of eight. The combination will equal 25 and would never be the name of a ten pack of smokes. You can be sure these are fake and also, that the smokes are likely not real, since there was little attention paid to the naming of the packaging in the first place.

You can be sure these are fake and also, that the smokes are likely not real, since there was little attention paid to the naming of the packaging in the first place.

I agree, but it is well known among fanciers of the Partagas marca that most fake 8-9-8's are superior to their authentic counterparts. In the same manner in which artificially enlarged breasts are often better than those of natural origin.

Colt clued into the most pertinent facts. 8-9-8 refers to a box of cigars with three layers. One of 8, one of 9 and one of eight. The combination will equal 25 and would never be the name of a ten pack of smokes. You can be sure these are fake and also, that the smokes are likely not real, since there was little attention paid to the naming of the packaging in the first place.

25 or 10... I havent seen one myself, but according to both Habanos S.A´s and Trevor´s site, the 8-9-8 is available in boxes of both 25 and 10. Yes the name shouldnt be 8-9-8 on the 10-box, but it is anyway...

25 or 10... I havent seen one myself, but according to both Habanos S.A´s and Trevor´s site, the 8-9-8 is available in boxes of both 25 and 10. Yes the name shouldnt be 8-9-8 on the 10-box, but it is anyway...

Lot of things don't make sense coming out of Cuba ... but that's why we love our Cuban cigars so much, you never know what you will get everytime you receive or open a box :pig: