Dual Problem

ChanceSchmerr

Hey Everyone,

I've read some of the topics in the Humi tutorial but none seem to deal quite with my dual issue, so here we go....

The Particulars - I have a 300 ct. humidor that recently I've been able to fill to near capacity. I have about 40-50 single Habanos (as I continue to try as many different Habanos as I can!), 2 full boxes of Monte Sublimes, 1 box of SC Murallas, a box of SP Sanchos, and about 60 single non-Cubans (CAO, LGC Artesanos de Miami and others, again I'm trying different smokes). The humidor until recently has been about 2/3 full, the recent addition of about 50 non-cuban cigars from a recent trip to Seattle has filled it up to near capacity.

My first problem, that I initially encountered a number of months back, was a number of small white, almost translucent insects crawling on my cigars. Initially I thought, whoa, tobacco beetles! and froze all my cigars for 3 days, following that up with a few days in the fridge, meanwhile wiping out the humidor, airing it out and re-priming it. Doing more research, looking at photos of tobacco beetles, I realized these were actually wood mites, and supposedly harmless to cigars. Relieved somewhat, I loaded my humidor back up and after another few weeks, I noticed again that the tiny white bugs were back, albeit in fewer numbers. My humidity was around 70-72% and the temperature around 20C. I then noticed that they were congregating around my two large rectangular sponge pucks, the ones that came with the humidor (I noticed this because I lay them flat in the humidor, and one day a Cohiba Genios rolled against it when i was replacing the shelf tray into the humidor. The next day, instead of the usual 0-1 bugs, there was 6 of them crawling around the cigar!) I promptly tossed the 2 large sponges away, and decided to use Ci-Gel (http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CIGEL has the best picture and info if no one here has heard of these things) pots instead to keep my humidor huidified, on the advice of my local tobacconist. I placed 2 large pots and a small pot in the humidor, and thought that should be enough to keep it at the usual 70%, as well as to remove the save-haven for these annoying wood mites.

I have had temperature problems recently this year, as an un-seasonable heat wave for the west coast of Canada, combined with a rented suite in a house without Air Conditioning meant my humidor was getting up to 24C in temp, but I fixed that by bringing the humidor on board my Air Conditioned ship, and I was able to keep the temperature down to about 18-19C. Now that I've brought it home, the temperature is up to about 21C again, and I can't get it any lower without leaving windows open at night. The second overall problem, is that now that I've filled the humidor right up with all those cigars from Seattle, my humidity won't stay high enough, I had 67% and 21C. (I thought 70% was the best % to keep it at), I left the window open last night in the suite to bring the temp down, and this morning i looked in to find 18C...and 63% (!). Help!

So my two problems are - Humidor isn't keeping humidity since i filled it up, despite two large pots and 1 small pot of Ci-Gel, and those annoying but apparently harmless wood mites won't quite go away, as I still find 1-2 of them on about half of my cigars.

Should I re-prime my humidor?

Should I go back to using a sponge brick?

Should I use these beads everyone is talking about?

How do I get rid of these wood mites that won't quite go away!

Sorry for the long read - I just wanted to get out all the pertinent info. I appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks everyone!

Go to beads. Get some 65% RH beads.

All though I don't have an non CC's, I have read that the two shouldn't really be mixed together as the sticks like different RH's . Non CC like the higher RH. Buy or use coolers as a cheap humidor, there is tons of info on the net about coolidors. I keep my sticks in the basement in coolers and never have to worry about high temperatures.

With the CDN$ almost at par it is a perfect time to get beads and a new humidor

well in short, the beads are the absolute best and IMO the only way to go for worry free humidity solution. Deciding between 65% beads and 70% beads is all about personal preferance. I feel that cuban cigars smoke much better at 63-65% while all other non cuban cigars smoke best at 68-70%. I would strongly urge you to at least find a way to keep the temps constant and without big fluctuations, the same holds true for humidity but with the beads that should take care of 1/2 the battle.

I've got a mix of both CC's and non CC's in my humi and normally keep the RH at about 63-64 (use 2x100ct Pucks) and they all smoke perfectly fine. Temp is a little higher than I'd like (about 21 most days), but I've yet to see one tobacco beetle so I'm not overly worried.

I recall there was an earlier post about getting rid of wood mites, so you may want to check the archives. I think the advice was to vacuum out the humi and leave it in the sun for a day. Then chuck the beads in to settle the RH and then put your sticks back in.

Thanks for the input, fellas! I think the way I will go is to use a coolidor for my non-CCs until I can spring for a smaller humidor especially for them....which shouldn't take too long. I am going to sea for a week and a half, so I have to wait until after then anyway! Also, I'm going to invest in these beads and see how they work for me. I'm thinking using the 65% beads for the CCs and the 70% beads for the non-CCs.

As for the mites - I did look at old posts and found a few mite-related threads, so I will endeavour to go about the vacuum/sun route....BUT because we are in the Pacific Northwest fall (read :WET), I will have to wait for either a sunny cold day in winter or a warm spring day + freezing my humidor in my freezer before I can get the buggers. A temporary reprieve that won't last! :)

In the meantime, since last night, the humi has remained at 18C...and climbed from 63 to 64RH. Close, but the beads will get their shot!

Thanks again for the info everyone!

I have been using the beads for over 6 years now and believe they are the best, easiest, cost affective solution to humidification needs. I also keep both Cuban and Non-Cuban cigars in my humidor. I prefer to keep all my cigars between 63%-65% RH.

The old rule of thumb about keeping a humidor at 70% and 70 degrees does not apply any more. The new rule of thumb is what keeps your cigars smoking the best for you. You may enjoy smoking your cigars wetter than someone like myself, so the 70% RH may be correct for you. I can say the for my palate, all cigars taste better and have more distinctive flavors when they have been maintained at a constant 63%-65% RH, yet that is my preference. You will need to decide what tastes better for your palate.

Another issue to discuss is when filling your humidor with new purchases. Seldom will you find a Tobacconist that keeps their humidors at a constant RH. So you will find some cigars are a little wet and some are a little dry. When you place new purchases in your humidor, you are changing the overall RH of the humidor. It typically takes 30 days to stabilize a humidor once you have placed new cigars inside of it, and that is only if you have not constantly been opening the humidor up and checking on your beauties.

Remember, that once you have filled your humidor up with cigars, the cigars are also part of your humidification device inside the humidor. If your cigars are wet, the RH goes up, if your cigars are dry, the RH goes down. Your goal is to keep a consistent RH in your humidor.

When you place new purchases in your humidor, you are changing the overall RH of the humidor. It typically takes 30 days to stabilize a humidor once you have placed new cigars inside of it, and that is only if you have not constantly been opening the humidor up and checking on your beauties.

Remember, that once you have filled your humidor up with cigars, the cigars are also part of your humidification device inside the humidor. If your cigars are wet, the RH goes up, if your cigars are dry, the RH goes down. Your goal is to keep a consistent RH in your humidor.

I think may be part of my problem, I keep buying new cigars and adding them in - I think once I've stopped loading up and allow it to settle out, that may bring them right to where they should be. I am going to try some of those beads when I get back from sea soon though. 5000+ FOH site users can't be wrong!

Get a wine cooler.... Itll regulate the temp anytime of the year and itll hold the humidity (must be thermoelectric) beads work great in it. They make wine coolers that have dual temp areas, so you can divide it off and store your CCs and NCs in their own respective conditions.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Here in Vegas the outside R/h is about 5%,at one time I was would have to refill my humidifiers constatly! I finaly got an Oasis electronic humidiufier A Cooler ( A big one) went and bought some sheets of spanish cedar.I then wipped all the cedar down with vodka it leaves no order! then lined the cooler with the thin sheets of cedar. Next ordered some cigar trays from on line also wipped the down with vodka,fired up the humidifier to about 66% R/h once it got there I seperated my smokes by brands Hoyos in one section Cohiba in another. works excellent, the only thing to make shure and open the cooler at least once A week it dos;nt breat like A traditional humi! Last never put other cigars in the same box as your Cubans!

Very simple and considering econmical!