When did you have your first cigar....

This came up in a round table conversation last night over a lovely dinner of roast pork rack (crackling just right), duck sausages and fresh garden salad. I cook on weekends so it was magnificent ;)

Needless to say I got into trouble on the dinner conversation. I get led easily by a near 16 year old son (Ben) who knows my penchant for shooting from the hip and putting my foot in my mouth much to my wifes digust. My 12 year old daughter (Beck) and 8 year old son (Tom) were also at the table.

Ben "Dad, when was your first cigarette?"

me " 16 I think. Worst mistake I ever made. I was in Spain "

Ben " First cigar"

Me "18."

Ben "So you would give me a cigar at 18?"

Me "Certainly...at cost +10%"

Wife " over my dead body!"

Me" "OK....cost.....but don't tempt me"

Wife " under no cicumstances"

Me " OK order online....but $150 minimum"

Tom "You could buy a house for that"

Me " with that math...you will be living at home for a long time"

Beck " We have all had plenty of cigars on the canoe....secondhand"

Me " But do you have MALARIA! You should thank me!"

Wife " how many cigars does he have when you go camping?"

Beck "I have to remind dad to take the cigar out of his mouth when he refuels the outboard"

Wife " Your kidding?"

Ben/Tom/Beck "NO!!!"

Wife "Thats it....no more camping and no cigars until you are all 21"

Me " Holy hell...we smoked joints together when we were 18?"

....Silence decended on the table :lol:

So my question...your Son wants to smoke a cigar. At what age would you give the "green light". Would you councel him against it? Do you enjoy cigars with your son?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall the first cigar I smoked, when I was about 16 or so, was a Montecristo. Didn't smoke another cigar until I was gifted a few Cohibas for my 18th.

As for when to let your child smoke, it depends on the child and your maturity and sensibility. Like all things in life, early exposure to anything before you're ready; be it alcohol, sex, drugs, cigars, etc, can have a detrimental affect. If you explain all the pros and cons, the affect it can have, the usual story of moderation, and why we smoke, it'll make it easier for them to understand and make their own decisions.

Then again, what the heck do I know. My friends keep telling me I'm not allowed to breed, so the chances of me putting the advice above are very slim. :lol:

I was 17. It was a Wintermans with a plastic filter tip. I thought it was interesting. So much so that I took up smoking cigarettes after that.

So in regards to my kids (when/if I have them), I would definitely not offer them cigars - ever. Let them find out for themselves like I did. Wouldn't want to be responsible for them taking up cigarettes.

Though in regards to you, Prez, it's much more different as you are a cigar retailer. Not only that, but you're one of the world's most successful. Therefore - tough decision.

My first ever cigar was with my father when I was around 17 year of age.

Both my father and I were in the Victorian high country deer shooting in Wannagatta, it was freezing cold one evening, it had snowed and we were sitting around the camp fire and my father produced a Padron (Unsure exactly what however). I was amazed, the setting reminded me of the old Clint Eastwood movies we used to watch together when I was growing up.

My dad did not offer it to me but I asked him what it was like as I loved the smell of a cigar, so, he offered it after I asked to which I had a puff and rather enjoyed the experience. :D

I no longer speak with my father as we have lost touch through no fault of my own, it's that one experience I often think about along with the late night spaghetti westerns that I have fond memories of and to this day on his birthday I have a Padron #35 without fail. :)

To answer Robs question, would I encourage my son who is now 1 year old, no, probably not. But, should he ever ask to try, I would offer him my very best stogie so he would experience a top quality cigar with his dad and fingers crossed, he will always remember the experience or moreso, me, his dad who loves him no end. :lol:;)

Being only 23 at the present, I remember my first vividly.. I was on a schoolies cruise when I was 17 and me and the boys were at the bottleshop when I spotted the R&J tubos. We all thought why not, its schoolies and all sat down on the deck of the boat while it was leaving Sydney harbour to enjoy it.. Beautiful sunset, great times ahead, the best company and my first CC. What an experience..

I think kids will find out about cigars before you expect them to.. (Being the case with most things) Any younger than 16 and you would have to worry though id imagine.

It would have been a Wee Willem when I was about 14. Quite classy for those times since we smoked (or tried to smoke) whatever looked possible to smoke. There are weeds here which when they die and dry in the wind form a hard dry cylinder. Remembering smoking that has me smiling - when puffed on, hot embers would go down your throat and of course you nearly died choking. Ah, good times. :lol:

Neither of my parents smoked and were quite anti-smoking. The exception being my dad had a small box of cigars and I remember sneaking into the loungeroom when no-one was around to open it and smell the tobacco. I would have been about 6 years old. I loved it. My brother and I pestered dad to light one up and he did reluctantly. We thought it was great.

My sons may be ready to smoke a good cigar one day but not for a while - one is too young and one is quite the fitness man at nearly 15. The little fella has had it drummed into him the difference between cigarettes (bad) and cigars (good). Time will tell ;)

There are weeds here which when they die and dry in the wind form a hard dry cylinder. Remembering smoking that has me smiling - when puffed on, hot embers would go down your throat and of course you nearly died choking. Ah, good times. ;)

Haha around these ways, they are called "barkies". Talk about a trip down memory lane :lol:

My first cigar was a la Gloria cubana wavell rolled a few miles away. I was 15, nearly pikes on that one. After a few more I really grew to like them? Why did I keep smoking them you ask? Well my friends were smoking them on the golf course and it smelled so damn good and we played every day. They said "smoke it slower and be sure not to inhale any this time, dumbass". Actually my recollection in the main on those Miami rolled lgc's are still very high. That would have been in 97', too bad I didn't have the knowledge to start buying the good stuff then.

And while I don't have a son yet I would put a cigar in his mouth when I am sure that he could appreciate the moment. If that's 14,15, or 23 then that's what it is. Rob, Ben seems like he is well beyond his years in maturity :lol:

My first cigar was a cheapy (probably a Philly) when I was around 12. My firends and I used to camp alot and we would raid our parents for whatever alcohol/tobacco/firearms that we could get away with. My first good cigar was probably around 20.

I think that I will give my son and daughter their first cigar on their high school graduation and share one with them whenever they want after that. Those are the kind of memories that they will cherish long after I am gone. I will kick their asses if I ever see them touch a cigarette though.

I smoked my first cigar at 20. I cant say I enjoyed the cigar - but I enjoyed the experience.

To be totally honest with you... I'd let my son (if I had one) sample a cigar as early as 16. But more likely 18 as the missus would surely protest.

Being Italian, we generally drank small serves of wine at the table when I was as young as 12 and did most things adults did - except for spirits. With the benefit of hindsight I really appreciate how my parents brought me up.

Mika, I don't mean to prod - but I hope you and your father work things out. Instead of just having a cigar on his birthday - perhaps you could send him one as well. Might get a ball rolling...

Well I was either 16 or 17 when I had my first cigar; it was a Garcia y Vega Corona in a cheap plastic tube. Not a good experience at all. Did not touch cigars again until the mid 90's when I was in college.

As for introducing your son to cigars, I would say that 18 is a good age. Anytime before then he would just look like a poser.

I was 19 or 20 when I had my first cigar. Don't remember much about it except that I was smoking with a bunch of friends while at college. Smoked cigars on and off for the next 8 yrs, and finally got serious about cigars 5 yrs ago.

I would let my child (girl or boy) smoke their first cigar at 18. Not sure why I picked the age 18, but I figure that at that time, they will be more mature to enjoy the experience.

I smoked my first cigar at 20. I cant say I enjoyed the cigar - but I enjoyed the experience.

To be totally honest with you... I'd let my son (if I had one) sample a cigar as early as 16. But more likely 18 as the missus would surely protest.

Being Italian, we generally drank small serves of wine at the table when I was as young as 12 and did most things adults did - except for spirits. With the benefit of hindsight I really appreciate how my parents brought me up.

Mika, I don't mean to prod - but I hope you and your father work things out. Instead of just having a cigar on his birthday - perhaps you could send him one as well. Might get a ball rolling...

It's funny you mention the wine drinking, same here in our family we were allowed to have wine every now and again, and I believe that helped us appreciate what we were given and not grow abusing it.

I used to watch my dad smoke pipe and he then moved to cigars and ever since I wanted to smoke one. I never had one though until the age of 21 as I was a sports fanatic. My first cigar was a padron given to me by one of my best mate.The first cigar I ever purhcased was a Cohiba Siglo 6, the day after I smoked it I went and bought a humidor and never looked back.

When will I give my son a cigar, I would say when he is ready to appreciate one. I would love to have one with him on a special occasion, how about sharing one with our daughters? We all seem to want to share a cigar with our sons, but would we share one with our special daughters?

ROFLMAO Rob, that sounds like an exchange MY wife and I had :party:

I had my first cigar at 18 (on my 18th b-day). Montecristo Crystals I believe.

I think it depends a lot on maturity levels and whether or not he'd appreciate having one or is smoking it to "be like Dad".

I've put aside several cabs for us to share when my son gets old enough (by then, they will be several decades old).

~Mark

Had my first when I graduated (19 years old). It was one of them dreadful Independence cigars. Remembers that I didnt mind it though.

If I had a son (or daughter) I would probably not mind them smoking cigars at the age of 18. Before that? Not with my permission...

Thanks for the advice Rob - I dont mind at all bud. ;)

I've tried smoothing things over but its been hard seeing he's back in europe (Austria). The next time i visit, I'll buy a box (Duty free) and smoke it with him. This time it'll be a good CC. :party:

I must have been 16 when I smoked my first cigar, if you can elevate the european dry style cigars to that status. Smoked a lot of them for a year until I hit the nicotine wall one day and puked my guts out. After that I went Pavlovian for more than three decades and didn't touch another one until I was 50 yo. The question just popped into my head from nowhere one day; I wonder what Cuban cigars are like? Smoked an Esplendido (good cuban fake) and was instantly hooked.

Rob, what's this about "when would you let your SON smoke"? I have two sons. My eldest has smoked once, liked it but will not try again. He aspires to be the most fit man on earth so I kind of understands him. You can't get fit by spending large portions of your life sitting in easy chairs smoking and drinking. Content, yes but not fit.

I also have a son that's 19 yo. Hopeless case. Won't touch nicotine or alcohol. I still live in hope, though... At least he likes girls.

I also have a daughter. She is a teacher, 26 yo and married to my No. 1 convert to cigar smoking. She LIKES cigars. Not a heavy or even frequent smoker at all, but she likes the taste and joins us for a smoke at times. So...even though my kids have the freedom of my humidor, my daughter is the only one of my kids to see the light and enjoy my cigars. Please expand your questions to cover both sexes, Rob! ;)

Btw, very entertaining about your wifes reaction. Can you imagine the evil eye that Marianne gave me when I first asked one of the kids to try a cigar, Rob? :party:

I was around 10 or 11 and swiped one of my older cousin's Swisher Sweets. My son is 7 and I've let him smell some of my cigars cold trying to get him to pick out flavors he smells. My wife is none too amused by this practice. I'd love to share one with him on his 18th birthday.

First Cigarette : 13 (Lucky Strike)

First Cigar : 18 (Macanudo)

Quit the cigs quite a while ago.

Got "serious" about cigars circa 14 years ago.

I've no children of my own, but if I did, when I would allow them to try a cigar would depend upon their personalities and direction in life. For instance, of my two stepsons, the younger (20 years old) isn't getting anything from me until he learns how to treat people better.

On a side note, I'm finding the mentioning of fitness interesting. My personal outlook is that physical fitness at the expense of being able

to enjoy simple life pleasures is unhealthy - fitness of the body without fitness of the mind, and for lack of better terms soul or spirit,

is incomplete.