Thinner Gauge Tips?

I am looking at ordering some boxes of thinner ring gauge Cubans for smoking/aging.

Problem is for pretty much all of my 20ish years of smoking I have stuck with thicker ring gauges.

Can you lads suggest a few of your favorites that offer a nice mix between quality and value?

Much appreciated!

Arctic I believe for the quality each of these are great value, and are all staples in my home.

Bolivar Inmensas

Hoyo De Monterrey Des Dieux

Montecristo Especial No.2

Partagas 898 Varnished

Partagas Serie du Conn #1

Trinidad Fundadores

Punch Super Selection No. 1 (50 cab)- note these are discontinued but Rob still shows inventory!

Smaller favorites

Por Larranaga Petit Coronas

Bolivar Petit Coronas

Trinidad Reyes

Artic requested "Thin Ring Gauge" cigar suggestions.

Colt suggested the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No.1, No.2 and No.3. Each provide excellent "Old School" Partagas flavors that are missing from the rest of the Partagas line. I'll gladly second Colt's recommendation.

Montecristo Especiales No. 1 and No. 2 Rich earthy mocha flavors mixed with nuts. Good enough to make my eyes roll toward the back of my head. Can't go wrong with either!

Cohiba Corona Especiales. Absolutely my favorite Cohiba. Sweet honey, vanilla and coffee been, this is the quintessential Cohiba flavor in my humble opinion.

Cohiba Lancero and Trinidad Fundadore are both excellent Thin ring gauged Habanos that are worthy of being in anyones humidor.

I am looking at ordering some boxes of thinner ring gauge Cubans for smoking/aging.

Problem is for pretty much all of my 20ish years of smoking I have stuck with thicker ring gauges.

Can you lads suggest a few of your favorites that offer a nice mix between quality and value?

Much appreciated!

Party Connie 3's.

Much appreciated!

You can't go worng with Montecristo Especiales No. 1 and No. 2 also any PCs but the PLPC seem to smoke relly good with just a little age!!!

It might help to narrow down your requirements. I take from your request for a mix between 'quality and value' that Cohiba and Trinidad are pretty much precluded from this one. Great cigars, but priced to match.

Also, how would you define narrow gauge? Some of the cigars listed above I think are very much medium-gauge. I would say a cigar below 42 gauge is narrow. So anything from the Partagas Connosieur or LGC Medaille D'Or ranges would be ideal.

Have fun hunting! :cigar:

EDIT: but if cash is no object, I'd settle for the Fundadores any day

Using a ring guage of 43 and under to define "thinner," I'd be very happy with a good example of any of these:

-Hoyo des Dieux

-Partagas 898 Varnished

-Partagas Serie du Connaisseur (any of the three)

-Cohiba Coronas Especiales

-Cohiba Lancero

-Bolivar Gold Medal

-Bolivar Petit Corona

-ERDM Grandes de Espana

That's just off the top of my head. There are plenty of others that are great as well. Sadly, not as many as there used to be...

I don't think that I am going to be able to add to the list as many of us that believe the best Habanos are thin Habanos have spoken up and made the suggestions already. It is my belief that life only begins at 42 ring and under; you have a whole wonderful world awaiting you.

After speaking some with Rob and reading some complains of slender ring cigars once again suffering from some construction problems (under-filled this time) I would urge you to counsel Rob in your selection of newer vintage cigars. My coffers are full with cigars mostly between '98 and '07 and I have had no such problems with thinner cigars through '07 so the knowledge that I have is second hand only. What I don't want to hear is that someone has been turned off to a world of wonderful cigars because they happened to jump when the water was cold.

Have Rob select you some singles and if Rob recommends the Grandes de Espana be sure to get a couple. They are some of my favorites.

"Thinner ring gauge" and people are still suggesting all sorts of coronas and fatter to you?

Sign of the times...

(has anyone noticed how Habanos are always catering to this obsession with ... huh-hum... Girth in all their new formats and ELs)

I am happy to say i'm not compensating for anything ;) and will happily smoke under-40 ring gauge.

My recommendations based on flavour:

Tiny/short filler: Cohiba/Montecristo Clubs

Small: RyJ Petit Julieta, Hoyo du Maire and best of all ERDM demi-tasse

Medium: La Gloria Cubana no4

Large (or should i just say Long!): La Gloria Cubana no1

Plenty of others out there but these are the ones i have smoked and really enjoyed.

Have fun, you will feel awkward with these slenderellas at first, but the new taste of a higher % of wrapper leaf>filler leaf will open up a whole new world.

"Thinner ring gauge" and people are still suggesting all sorts of coronas and fatter to you?

Sign of the times...

(has anyone noticed how Habanos are always catering to this obsession with ... huh-hum... Girth in all their new formats and ELs)

Exactly. I looked at the new releases and thought ''short n fat, short n fat...wait! the RyJ Duke...long n fat!''

I've typically hovered around the wider gauges purely from a ergonomic point of view, a 46-50 just feels 'right' to me. But I've recently been enjoying the thinner gauges - especially if you have the chance to combine them with somethin like a nice meal or reading a book, then they're ideal. Can't say I've experienced much difference in construction and burn either, but then I've not smoked a great deal of skinnies.

Making corona-/dalia-sized suggestions to someone who is looking to try cigars that are thinner than what he's accustomed to smoking isn't as far-fetched to me as it seems to be to you. I know very few knowledgeable smokers who would take exception to the notion of including lonsdales, for instance, in the category of thinner cigars.

Since we've brought short-filler cigars into the mix, I would suggest Partagas Chicos. Not very complex, but quite pleasant - particularly with a few years of age.

• 1 month later...

Hi there -

My all time favorite value cigar in thin gauge would be the

Por Larranaga Montecarlos.

It was great in its old incarnation as a machine-made.

and better still in the new hand-made edition.

They are great young, and will age beautifully.

Only $78US at cigar-czar!

I can add one more to the list that hasnt been mentioned.

08 Upmann Majestics. Im not going to say another word, just thank me later.

I can add one more to the list that hasnt been mentioned.

08 Upmann Majestics. Im not going to say another word, just thank me later.

I've got an untouched box of those.

Are these good young, or should I forget about them for a few years, like most Upmanns?