Spoke to Punch Joe on the phone today

I spoke to Jose on the phone today. He apologises for not posting on FOH but while he can read the posts daily, things are so tough re "broadband" crackdowns currently that uploading commentary is a tad difficult and dangerous.

A couple of points:

He misses the FOH lads tremendously.

He loves Piggy's posts and regrets so much he cannot contribute.

Things are damn tough in Havana. HSA is having a horrid time.

It has been a horrendously hot and humid summer

His wedding is November 23rd to 26th. Ken and I will be there.

He will jump back on the forum when he can :P

"Things are damn tough in Havana. HSA is having a horrid time. "

Hi Pres do you mean horrid time in sales? or the weather

Cheers Oz :P

Production cutbacks, layoffs.

Pardon my naivety but if Habanos made their bread and butter lines cheaper would that not increase turnover and sales etc,

If they scrapped the Monte open range that would save money would it not :idea:

If not let them talk to Piggy he seems to have his finger on the pulse on what smokers want :o

But I do understand that things are never as simple as they appear :cigar:

Cheers

Oz :P

Pardon my naivety but if Habanos made their bread and butter lines cheaper would that not increase turnover and sales etc,

If they scrapped the Monte open range that would save money would it not :idea:

If not let them talk to Piggy he seems to have his finger on the pulse on what smokers want :o

But I do understand that things are never as simple as they appear :cigar:

Cheers

Oz business is often two steps forward and one step back. You want to avoid three steps back where you can :o

I am not here to be a Habanso sa apologist as God knows I have given plenty of brickbats over the years (and received plenty in return).

Enough to say that in good times you can work with a psychotic business partner but in bad times it is fraught with danger. Throw in global legislative issues on top of a global economic malaise and "Cheapening" your brand is not the solution.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see cheaper stock. If I was a parralel importer I could reduce my stock purchase price by close to 25% as the world is awash today with Cuban cigars. Major distributors want to keep volumes up. They seek out major movers of Cuban cigars and offer deals that I look at and cry.

Lets assume I went down this track. If I could guarantee authenticity (and discount prices by say 20%) but not strictly from PCC provenance would you feel secure? If I shipped from Switzerland and put in quality measures, met opposition prices and dressed Smithy and lisa in

lieberhausen costume would you feel secure? (abeit seeing Lise in a wench outfit has my blood boiling :D )

Say the word and it is done. If you have the trust I can reduce prices 20%-25% permanently?

However does this help Habanos s.a? No!

For HSA it is about re-engaging with its core consumer. I would love to do a two year sabatical with HSA at no cost to re-work the plan goiing forward. Its future is in its past.

Oz business is often two steps forward and one step back. You want to avoid three steps back where you can :o

I am not here to be a Habanso sa apologist as God knows I have given plenty of brickbats over the years (and received plenty in return).

Enough to say that in good times you can work with a psychotic business partner but in bad times it is fraught with danger. Throw in global legislative issues on top of a global economic malaise and "Cheapening" your brand is not the solution.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see cheaper stock. If I was a parralel importer I could reduce my stock purchase price by close to 25% as the world is awash today with Cuban cigars. Major distributors want to keep volumes up. They seek out major movers of Cuban cigars and offer deals that I look at and cry.

Lets assume I went down this track. If I could guarantee authenticity (and discount prices by say 20%) but not strictly from PCC provenance would you feel secure? If I shipped from Switzerland and put in quality measures, met opposition prices and dressed Smithy and lisa in

lieberhausen costume would you feel secure? (abeit seeing Lise in a wench outfit has my blood boiling :D )

Say the word and it is done. If you have the trust I can reduce prices 20%-25% permanently?

However does this help Habanos s.a? No!

For HSA it is about re-engaging with its core consumer. I would love to do a two year sabatical with HSA at no cost to re-work the plan goiing forward. Its future is in its past.

Hi Pres

Thanks for your concise and enlightening comments,lets just hope that the good times return soon :D

I also understand that for your part you are completely hamstrung by the Outrageous Taxes in this Country :cigar:

But thanks for your comments on my questions :o

Smithy in lieberhausen would be a sight to see, at least they are mens clothes :idea:

and better than grey tracky dacs :D

Cheers

Lets assume I went down this track. If I could guarantee authenticity (and discount prices by say 20%) but not strictly from PCC provenance would you feel secure? If I shipped from Switzerland and put in quality measures, met opposition prices and dressed Smithy and lisa in lieberhausen costume would you feel secure?

In all honesty, yes I would feel secure, mainly because I would still be buying from a trusted source, your good self, and I know you would do whatever it takes to make sure you only get the best product :party:

If you could reduce prices by 20% and still guarantee authenticity then where's the downside to the purchaser? Frankly I can't see one... or am I missing something?

At the moment I am being priced out of the market. I used to buy a couple of boxes a month, but now I am buying possibly one every two months. The state of the financial market is obviously affecting my purchases too, not just the price increases at HSA, but if HSA hadn't increased prices then perhaps I would be more prone to keep buying.

lieberhausen costume would you feel secure? (abeit seeing Lise in a wench outfit has my blood boiling )

Hi Rob,

lieberhausen costumes aside :party:

I would have the trust simply because i have always had the trust :party: In your operation regardless of where the cigars come from ,even though we know they are all from the official distributor.

But for me it has always been the price that determines purchases ,being on a much tighter budget than some Habanofiles ,Always puts me behind the eightball ,and when given the choice I would ALWAYS support a "local " business ,let me rephrase that an Aussie business.

And knowing from this forum what kind of person you are I am completely confident you would always do the right thing by your customers the forum is also evidence of this.

Any how trust is not given as you well aware it is earned and you have certainly done that.

I think I am missing the point that it would not help Habanos,if you did what you outlined. Would you not move more cigars and hence so would habanos is it not a win/win situation all around :party:

For me personally I feel Habanos's current policy is pricing me out of the market and I do not want that to happen under any circumstances

Look forward to your continued input on this subject

Your friend

Oz :party:

Steve

OH and our best to Punch Joe as well :party:

Should have said earlier before thread got sidetracked :party:

Hi All

Just thinking out aloud does this subject that Rob was discussing deserve a separate thread??

Cheers

lieberhausen costume would you feel secure? (abeit seeing Lise in a wench outfit has my blood boiling :party: )

Say the word and it is done.

God no. I left that for this. Not going back. All these sales you have make you competitive anyways but even if it didn't I wouldn't go back to Spain or Switz again.

Thanks for the update, Prez.

I always look forward to news from, and about, Jose.

I'm glad that his wedding plans are still full steam ahead. Hopefully I make it to Cuba for the next festival and get to meet him in person then.

God no. I left that for this. Not going back. All these sales you have make you competitive anyways but even if it didn't I wouldn't go back to Spain or Switz again.

Hi Tim I have bought from switz quite often never had a problem but i think some of the more reputable ones will not ship to the u.s the alleged embargo etc :party:

All i was saying is to by cigars here in australia is very expensive mainly i think due to the taxes etc does the us not have a customs dept :party:

cheers oz :party:

P.S If your happy thats all that matters :party: :party:

Hi PunchJoe in this hard times are you sure to get married, closing factory's, cutrting labour ...it's a good excuse for postponing :2thumbs:

Thanks Rob for updating us .

just my opinion, but here's some of the reason HSA is doing horrid:

the price in france for the cohiba gran reserva SIG VI (15) is about $1200. and they wonder why sales are down. if i could sell common sense i'd be a millionare.

bruce

just my opinion, but here's some of the reason HSA is doing horrid:

the price in france for the cohiba gran reserva SIG VI (15) is about $1200. and they wonder why sales are down. if i could sell common sense i'd be a millionare.

bruce

If (and it is a big if) they are as good as was releaseed at the festival then they will be worth every cent. In my top 3 cigars (if not top) of all time.

If you look at it as purchasing the words greatest bottle of wine for $90. It is an indulgence but............... at least you don't have to share it :yes:

If (and it is a big if) they are as good as was releaseed at the festival then they will be worth every cent. In my top 3 cigars (if not top) of all time.

If you look at it as purchasing the words greatest bottle of wine for $90. It is an indulgence but............... at least you don't have to share it :cigar:

Absolutely true. They sell $90.00 bottles of CA Cabs all day long and most, while good, are certainly not memorable or classic experiences.

But back to your question to the group., Rob Some of the world's most reputable dealers are in Switzerland. I have had as good a relationship with them as anyone else in the business over time. Customer service is usually very attentive and most even have no-quibble return policies. If we could enjoy ordering through CZ and permanently do so with a 20-25% reduction in pricing, please tell me why on earth we would not want to do this. I certainly would-- because now I do have to balance my purchases with the Czar with those from Switzerland purely for budgetary reasons. Bring it on. We all win.

But back to your question to the group.,

I think I'd rather pay a little more and have the peace of mind of knowing the supply chain has been unbroken, and that the Czar Crew has

personally inspected the cigars. Though the premise is a guarantee of authenticity and putting in place of quality measures, the more hands

and the grayer things get, the more opportunities there are for the unscrupulous.

I wouldn't want to end up with "Partagas Piramide ELs".........