Need some help with an H.Upmann jar.

I 've just got my hands on a vintage H.Upmann jar of 50 coronas from the pre-embargo years.

Don't ask me how, It's a long story :D

Now, I know that they are pre-embargo because of the green cuban seal that has a serrated

edge. this seal was on all cigars from Cuba from 1931 to 1962. that I know . However, what I

don't know is, from what year is this Jar because of the clips that holds the jar closed :gangup:

I have not seen jars with this type of clip, We all know of the different types that were made

out of flat white metal that were on the lid or on the jar, but a wire clip I have not seen on any,

At least not me, that is, :devil2: Can any brothers of FOH help me out on this mystery hunt ? Even in MRN's

book there is no mention . Thanks in advance. :rotfl:

Here are a few pics. to help you out.

JAR.bmp

JAR_1.bmp

JAR_2.bmp

Jar_3.bmp

Ah the good old office jars ....

Guy you know i just turned 40 years young recently !! LOL Enjoy Guy very nice pickup let us know how they smoke really would love to know ....

Hi ucmba,

Hey, that's just fantastic, what a collection you have.

Thank you for the pics. As I can see, you have the same jars with the same clips.

From what I found out, seemingly these clips were replaced when they arrived in the

UK, because they did not work well, but other then that, I have no idea of what years

they were on the market. The 30's, 40's or in the 50's ? If you can help me find out,

that would be great. Thanks mate :D

Guy, thanks for sharing...great stuff.

I have a lot of time on my hands. Wouldn't mind reading the story on how you acquired the jar!

Guy

Great stuff :D

I think you have some of the fold out Punch and Partagas catalogues from the 50's. I put some photo's up some time ago.

have a look at the Punch Catalogue bottom left and you will see the same type of jar with the same clips. If you haven't got it I will post the best photo I can.

Hi guys,

First I 'd like to thank you all for your help ;)

Rob, thanks for taking the time out to print that photo or was that smithy ;)

If you look closely, the one you show from the 50's has flat metal clips & the strap

is plastic, where as mine has wire like clips and the strap in made of leather.

I would like to thank UCMBA for his help, I see that on his photos, he has an example

that looks like mine. UCMBA, would you know what period those are from ?? :D

Congratualtions on your latest acquisiton. The jar is beautful. I hope you enjoy the smokes.

Guy! As the constant admirer of your talent to find some artefacts I has found following facts:

First of all from Min Ron Nee Encyclopidea one

post-3407-1248120847.jpg

Next from book by Julian Holland

post-3407-1248120870.jpg

And another one from MRN Encyclopidea

post-3407-1248120886.jpg

Whether it became more clear after this data? Or not? Shake your hand! Always yours Dmitrii))

A pleasure!!!!! I am not sure about the dates yet. I've three jars with the same clasp: Upmanns, Cuban Benson & Hedges, and La Coronas. I think these were all sold in the US market and that could be the reason for the clasp - it could be an American "thang". :-) All my library is packed away, once I get at it I will post some more pics and stuff here. I think I have some jar closeups on my blog: havanas.blogspot.com.

I think I have some jar closeups on my blog: havanas.blogspot.com.

:party: OMG !!!!!!!!! That is not a blog, THAT'S Tresure Island :party:

ucmba, Is this, ALL , your own collection ?

This must be the most beautiful collection I have ever seen, congrats :party:

Yes I did see some jars that look like mine, but still no Idea on their date.

Thank you so much for sharing this. :party: Truly AWSOME :party::party:

Well, everyone, I think that we pretty well have it nailed to the exact period of this

H.Upmann jar, 50 CRYSTALES cigars. I e-mailed Nick from"GOTHAM CIGAR MUSEUM"

in Florida with pics. of the jar and cigars but also told him that, what struck me the most

was that the joint that sealed the lid and the base was made out of carton and not cork.

I asked him to see if he could find out about this since I don't think this was very common.

Here is the e-mail that I recieved today from Nick. I would like to thank him again for the

work behind this research and the time it took to look up all this info.

If you're interested in very old cigars, go have a look at his website, I'm sure you'll find it

very informative and interesting :D

http://gotham-cigar-museum.com/default.aspx

Guy,

Thank you for your kind words.......I have been very, very busy with the day to day challenges that life presents!

I have purchased and sold approximately 20-30 Cuban "office" jars over the last 10 years and this is my conclusion in relation to your jar.

In my opinion this jar could date to the 1941-1946 time period or the WW II time period when H. Upmann aluminum tube cigars were packed in a provisional cardboard tube packaging, this only occurred during the WW II time period. the contents look original with consistent leaf color and plume, the dark brown H. Upmann cigar bands seem to match the 1940's time period as well, earlier H. Upmann bands were white / red and gold.

I have seen jars with rubber gaskets and more frequently with the cork gasket, the cardboard gasket may indicate that these jars were packaged during a tome of shortages, this would indicate the WW II period.

Congratulations on the awesome find, I hope that you can light one of these cigars and let me know how they taste.

Best regards,

Nicholas