• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would they prove it? There's quite a few cigars that are bandless. If you want to be super anal, put some of your NC bands on it, smile and tell them to have a nice day..

They don't need to prove it. Customs is like the IRS - the burden of proof is on the suspect, not on the law. If you have unbanded cigars that they suspect are Cuban (meaning ones they'd like to smoke), they're going to take them.

Like i said Cubans are better and thats a fact !!! But if others like NC no biggie more for me and others that think like me.. :)

You know Jim if it were not for Cuban cigars I would not smoke cigars at all. There is no arguing that as a fact. -Piggy

They don't need to prove it. Customs is like the IRS - the burden of proof is on the suspect, not on the law. If you have unbanded cigars that they suspect are Cuban (meaning ones they'd like to smoke), they're going to take them.

Which is what the NC bands are for.. :)

It doesn't matter what they think. Are you canadian? If so you are allowed to bring CC's into the country for your own personal consumption.

A little bit of research could have saved you some NC purchases.

You think so? If I was entering the US from Canada with unbanded cigars, you don't think US Customs would assume they were Cuban?

It doesn't matter what they think. Are you canadian? If so you are allowed to bring CC's into the country for your own personal consumption.

Can you cite your sources on this? I've always assumed otherwise (ie Cubans illegal on US soil regardless of where you live, and illegal on foreign soil for US citizens - fat chance they'll ever enforce that). There is of course the loophole for anything (within limits) purchased in Cuba by licensed travelers and brought back to the US prior to 2004.

Here's something I found in the Cuban Assets Control Regulation

Cuban Assets Control Regulation, 31 C.F.R. Part 515;

§515.204 Importation of and dealings in certain merchandise. (a) Except as specifically authorized by the Secretary of the Treasury (or any person, agency, or instrumentality designated by him) by means of regulations, rulings, instructions, licenses, or otherwise, no person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States may purchase, transport, import, or otherwise deal in or engage in any transaction with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise: (1) Is of Cuban origin; or (2) Is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) Is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba.

Now I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't "subject to the jurisdiction of the United States" apply to any foreign citizen visiting/residing in the US?

well it used to be legal. I have an aunt in canada who would bring cubans over for my dad. However, this loophole appears to have been closed in 1994.

Here is what one site had to say about it.

"Note also that since 1994 it has been illegal for anyone, even foreign nationals to bring in any quantity of Cuban cigars - even for personal consumption. (Prior to 1994 foreign nationals were allowed to import cigars for personal use only. This loophole is now closed.)"

Can you cite your sources on this? I've always assumed otherwise (ie Cubans illegal on US soil regardless of where you live, and illegal on foreign soil for US citizens - fat chance they'll ever enforce that). There is of course the loophole for anything (within limits) purchased in Cuba by licensed travelers and brought back to the US prior to 2004.

Here's something I found in the Cuban Assets Control Regulation

Now I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't "subject to the jurisdiction of the United States" apply to any foreign citizen visiting/residing in the US?

Not only can you not bring them into the country but Americans are not even allowed to smoke them in another country. So much for the land of the free.

I always think it's odd that we don't have the right to enjoy a Cuban cigar because the Cubans have no rights.

Where's that oxymoron thread?

A little bit of research could have saved you some NC purchases.

Tell that to all the Canadians that have had CC's confiscated at the US border. We are not allowed to bring them in, period.

Read my follow up post. At one time it was legal, but the loophole was apparently closed some time ago.

Tell that to all the Canadians that have had CC's confiscated at the US border. We are not allowed to bring them in, period.