Comeback Cigar of 09

I have held off in doing a final summation of this cigar because I wanted to try multiples from 07/08 box codes before I could say definitively that "They are back"

The cigar really had been in a slump since 2004. Ageing has helped many but even then, there were too any insipid examples. 2006 was an improvement but even then, a highlight eample would be followed by 2-3 mediocre performance. 07 was better but early 07 still performed like a second string racehorse (on average). Late 07 performed far better, 08 have been superb. Rich, Medium full and taking its bigger brother release to the wire in a completely different flavour profile.

Welcome back Magnum 46. I have missed you.

I have held off in doing a final summation of this cigar because I wanted to try multiples from 07/08 box codes before I could say definitively that "They are back"

The cigar really had been in a slump since 2004. Ageing has helped many but even then, there were too any insipid examples. 2006 was an improvement but even then, a highlight eample would be followed by 2-3 mediocre performance. 07 was better but early 07 still performed like a second string racehorse (on average). Late 07 performed far better, 08 have been superb. Rich, Medium full and taking its bigger brother release to the wire in a completely different flavour profile.

Welcome back Magnum 46. I have missed you.

what the hell was wrong with the 05s from last night? next time, i'm rolling up newspaper and used TP in banana leaves for you. anything else is wasted.

for me, these have always been a cigar that is not worth touching in the first 18 months, 2 years, and then makes a dramatic improvement.

Dear Ignoramus. :rotfl:

I thought I made it clear enough even for you. Yes I or any other semi competent vendor can select very good cigars from any year. That is not the point. The point is how many cigars from any particular Marque/vitola could I or would I not recommend from that year. What we are talking is consistency from hundreds and hundreds of boxes/cabs and not any particular box/cab in isolation.

Had a great afternoon yesterday Ken. Thanks for your hospitality :rotfl:

Thanks for the backing Rob with your statements as i have been say Mag 46 08 are back for sometime...Also Dont forget the Partagas Lusi as this is one cigar that is back from the dead to...

Rob, I'm a bit surprised that it took this long to discover the quality of the early to mid-2008 Upmanns. They've all been good to great: Mag 50's, No. 2's, Conn No. 1's, and yes, the Mag 46. The last really good Mag 46 I had before now, was from March 2004. These June and July boxcodes have been excellent. Lots of body, flavor, and spice. Let's just say that my broker says, buy, buy, buy.

Dear Ignoramus. ;)

I thought I made it clear enough even for you. Yes I or any other semi competent vendor can select very good cigars from any year. That is not the point. The point is how many cigars from any particular Marque/vitola could I or would I not recommend from that year. What we are talking is consistency from hundreds and hundreds of boxes/cabs and not any particular box/cab in isolation.

Had a great afternoon yesterday Ken. Thanks for your hospitality :D

nice potty mouth and out the window go the forum guidelines!!

it is still banana leaves for you.

I agree 100%. I had a box of '06 and '07 that were just mediocre at best. I would pull one out every so often and only saw a marginal improvement. I knew they were expendable when I finally bought some '08s that tasted better than both of the others right from day one.

When I mentioned this to others I would get that "how dare you say that about a Mag 46" face ;)