HDM Epicure #2

toracubed

Hi All,

New to the forum and am impressed!

I recently purchased some HDM Epicure #2's and was wondering if they are supposed to come with 2 bands? The HDM with the crown band seems authentic, but it also came with a seperate band with the Epicure #2 on it. Just wondering if anyone else has seen these? I haven't been able to find any pics with the other band.

Thanks.

post-5185-1236625632.jpg

post-5185-1236625647.jpg

Nope!! The extra band is for Epicure Especial new release. But oh well, it it tastes good too you then smokem

Nope as in not authentic or nope haven't seen one?

It was a good smoke, and far as I could tell the real deal, but I think it needs some age on it.

Nope as in not authentic or nope haven't seen one?

It was a good smoke, and far as I could tell the real deal, but I think it needs some age on it.

could be a screw up on the band but if i recieved it I would say fake. I would try it for the Epic #2 is a fav of mine and would know cold if it were real

To my knowledge, the only Hoyo's that are official with the second band is the Hoyo Epicure Especial. But it has been a while since I have personally seen any new inventory, perhaps we can get a ruling from Smithy or Rob who have seen all the current trends in official bands coming out from Habanos S.A.

Curious. A second band with the vitola de salida is not unheard of in modern cigars though. For example, the H. Upmann Magnum 50 come with such a secondary band. I believe the Magnum 46 tubos also has a second band but it's been a while since I had one.

Wilkey

I checked my stock downstairs. No second band and I haven't seen them before (outside the Especial)

I don't like calling fake however let us know the box code. Punch Joe may also chime in over the coming days.

You may privately PM me your supplier if you are really concerned and I may be able to shed some light (privately).

I should point out we are not calling them fake at this time :D

Just need a couple of days to work out what is going on. There may have been a packaging change on some stock more recent than what we have here (April 08).

I'll try to get a better picture up for you all to see. It's not black at all, but a light brown.

Uhhh maybe it wasn't as good as I thought..haha. Buyer beware, huh?

I only purchased a couple of the Epi 2's so sorry no box code. I didn't want to go overboard for the first time order.

I checked my stock downstairs. No second band and I haven't seen them before (outside the Especial)

I don't like calling fake however let us know the box code. Punch Joe may also chime in over the coming days.

You may privately PM me your supplier if you are really concerned and I may be able to shed some light (privately).

Since 2008, upon the introduction of the MAgnum and the epicure lines in Upmann a nd hoyo respectively, all of HDM´s epi comes with a second band attached specifiying Epi No1, Epi No2 ..etc. That means that you are going to see, if not seen already, the Magnum 46 with second band and the Magnum 48 as well (limited Edition 09) Strange that the Distributors didn´t informed about it since they were duly notified at the time. That happens...

If I recall well, it was in last June or before when it was decided, just to make a clear diferenciation between upper and low segment within the brand. The most important thing is that this cigar pictured here is not a fake, it´s regular production and it will coexist with others, single banded Hoyos for quite some time depending on the stocks and the rotation of inventory. It´s somehow difficult to foresee how long it will exist at the same time.

I just saw these 'Dbl-Banders" on the EPI 2 for the first time last weekend at a small gathering around Philly. I expressed that I have never seen nor heard of this double banding before and my buddy immediately gave me an Epi 2 to smoke...

The Epi 2 has been my traditional Sunday morning with coffee cigar for years so I have a LOT of experience with this cigar --- I have NO DOUBT that the cigar with the Dbl Band that I had was the real deal...

However, regarding the issue of the color - the stick I was given was the standard HdM Epi 2 colored wrapper that we all know and love - it was nowhere near resembling the cigar in this thread - which does look like a Maddy wrapper....

Since 2008, upon the introduction of the MAgnum and the epicure lines in Upmann a nd hoyo respectively, all of HDM´s epi comes with a second band attached specifiying Epi No1, Epi No2 ..etc. That means that you are going to see, if not seen already, the Magnum 46 with second band and the Magnum 48 as well (limited Edition 09) Strange that the Distributors didn´t informed about it since they were duly notified at the time. That happens...

If I recall well, it was in last June or before when it was decided, just to make a clear diferenciation between upper and low segment within the brand. The most important thing is that this cigar pictured here is not a fake, it´s regular production and it will coexist with others, single banded Hoyos for quite some time depending on the stocks and the rotation of inventory. It´s somehow difficult to foresee how long it will exist at the same time.

Jose, thank you for the clarification about the second band. Until now, I did not know this news and now knowing this timing of when the second band started and which cigars will have a second band on them will help the customers at large feel better about their cigars when they receive them.

Although I'm no expert but have been collecting and smoking fine cigars for about 7 years, this cigar had me a bit worried. The bands are impeccable, even the 2nd band which I hadn't ever seen, beautiful wrapper, aroma and smoked great. It does need some age on it.

I came across this site looking for that 2nd band and am glad I did.

Thanks to Punch and Doc for their valuable input.

I've posted a couple more pics, but can't seem to get the image quality that most of you have been able to capture.

Thanks!!

Jose, thank you for the clarification about the second band. Until now, I did not know this news and now knowing this timing of when the second band started and which cigars will have a second band on them will help the customers at large feel better about their cigars when they receive them.

Absolutely correct. It still astounds me that Habanos refuses to see the benefit or need to get such information out to the public. I wonder how many times this particular second band concern has been expressed in forums & gatherings around the world. We are very lucky to have Jose on the forum with his first hand knowledge.

I have a 50 cab that the wrappers are dark as Monty Sublimes. They are 05 and they are good, buty I find the better , the lighter shade the wrapper is.

I use to want all my cigars with nice oil sheen on dark wrappers. Now I rather have lighter shades.more flavor

I had a fellow from another forum send me a new Mag 46 with the second band, looks just like the 50 band, and I have every confidence this is not a fake. Did take me aback at first.

• 1 month later...

Second band is legit. We have this new stock in HK at all Pacific Cigar Company outlets (the official Habanos SA distributor in Asia Pacific) as well as other third party suppliers. Don't fear; buy 'em and smoke 'em, they're great!

• 2 weeks later...
I've posted a couple more pics, but can't seem to get the image quality that most of you have been able to capture.

Tora, there should be a "Macro" mode for your camera to take up-close photos. If you're unsure what it looks like, this website will help. I'm very interested in a good clear picture of these double-banded cigars. Thanks for the thread and hopefully you will get some clear pictures for all of us to use as reference!

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Using-yo...macro-mode-4848