Just got a delivery from Cuba

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend the cuaba. I find these a little stronger than the regular production cuabas. Had the cohiba V a couple of weeks ago and found them better than the previous times I've had them. Great construction and smelled amazing Right out of the box. I find a lot of the 2008 cigar production is great out of the box right now.

Am going to let the montes sit for a bit as I have a lot of older stuff to smoke still.

Definately make sure that these find a home in your humidor.

I highly recommend the cuaba. I find these a little stronger than the regular production cuabas. Had the cohiba V a couple of weeks ago and found them better than the previous times I've had them. Great construction and smelled amazing Right out of the box. I find a lot of the 2008 cigar production is great out of the box right now.

Am going to let the montes sit for a bit as I have a lot of older stuff to smoke still.

Definately make sure that these find a home in your humidor.

Nice plume on the cuaba. I love SIG Vs. I recommend you bury them! They are amazing with time...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

are they cuaba salomones i see?

let us know what you think. for me, the most overrated, waste of time in the cigar world. i've never smoked any of the guantanameras but if they are worse than than cuaba salomones, they must be toxic.

but with some luck, you might have got a nice box.

Those cuban anti-smoking stickers are heaps nicer and less intrusive than the ones we've got here. I think that there needs to be some sort of warning, but it's gone a bit too far here in Australia. We should go back to having just text stickers just like the ones in this photo. Am I alone on this one?

are they cuaba salomones i see?

let us know what you think. for me, the most overrated, waste of time in the cigar world. i've never smoked any of the guantanameras but if they are worse than than cuaba salomones, they must be toxic.

but with some luck, you might have got a nice box.

Ken I am surprised that you thought they are waste of time. I think they are an amazing, easy smoke and full of beautiful creamy flavours. You have either had a bad experience or probably just not a fan of the taste. I would give them score of 90 fresh of the box they are just beautiful one of the few cigars that don't need aging as I dont think they can get any better.

maalouly - There is a bit of a herd mentality when it comes to Cuaba . Where high profile brands such as Bolivar/Cohiba/HDm etc. can get away with a couple of years "not being good" it seems Cuaba and other less popular/mainstream brands (like Vegueros) don't get the same chance. It's easier to dismiss them and label the entire line shite in place of giving them a decent chance.

I have an '02 box of Exclusivos that is divine, a box of '05 Distinguidos that are mediocre at best, an '06 box that is very strong, two '04 boxes of Salomones that are just perfect, an '06 that is a total dog. And then there is my '06 box of Diadems, pure bliss !

As for Ken, well just look at his taste in shirts & shorts ...... that says it all :D

maalouly - There is a bit of a herd mentality when it comes to Cuaba . Where high profile brands such as Bolivar/Cohiba/HDm etc. can get away with a couple of years "not being good" it seems Cuaba and other less popular/mainstream brands (like Vegueros) don't get the same chance. It's easier to dismiss them and label the entire line shite in place of giving them a decent chance.

I have an '02 box of Exclusivos that is divine, a box of '05 Distinguidos that are mediocre at best, an '06 box that is very strong, two '04 boxes of Salomones that are just perfect, an '06 that is a total dog. And then there is my '06 box of Diadems, pure bliss !

As for Ken, well just look at his taste in shirts & shorts ...... that says it all :P

I totally agree I just think Ken is missing out big time :D ... ah well more for people like us who love Cuaba.

As for Ken, well just look at his taste in shirts & shorts ...... that says it all :D

I am a fan of the Divino and the LE Piramide.

I have just had too many Salomones/Distinguido wind tunnels over the years that cruelled the flavour experience. You can get lucky. However I have seen 100's and 100's of boxes which are simply underfilled. Time will not cure it. It is a structural issue.

Those cuban anti-smoking stickers are heaps nicer and less intrusive than the ones we've got here. I think that there needs to be some sort of warning, but it's gone a bit too far here in Australia. We should go back to having just text stickers just like the ones in this photo. Am I alone on this one?

You're not alone. I don't mind the anti smoking stickers so much from countries with text only. They're not in English so for all I know they could be saying, 'Make sure to pour yourself a rum to go with your cigar'. The ones from Australia with those lovely pictures are just so pleasant! And nothing like getting a nice varnished box with a picture of a lung on it! Soap and water can take those off right?

My vote is for more of a reverse logic sticker... have a hottie in a bikini with, 'smokers don't get girls like this' on them!

• 2 weeks later...