Whats your CPI

We like to assess the Christmas Party Index (CPI) as a gauge on how the local economy is going. The CPI is the number of Christmas Party Invitations (non family) you have received for the month of December.

2008 locally looks pretty thin on the ground. Down about 60% locally. Everyone is having staff function and maybe a few suppliers "in house".

Whats happening to the CPI in your kneck of the woods? Things are tough here. My mother hasn't even called ;)

I don't know about the CPI but the local news reported that alcohol sales at at least one retailer are up over 300%. The retailer is reporting that there are more consumers purchasing but the purchases are less quantitiy and lower quality. More people drinking cheaper hooch, what does that tell you?

Merry (hic) Christmas...

Even during the best of times I never got an invite to anything from anyone, and this year even my wife told me her employer said that spouses were specifically not invited to her firms holiday party due to cost constraints.

At least thats the story she told you. ;) J/K!

They're all holiday parties now instead of Xmas, but my wife's usual corporate event has been cancelled and they will lose the deposit on the room. Sounds like they might get some funding to hold something in-house. I work for the government and we never do anything as we have to be PC. :o

I am sure I am not the only one to notice a fairly steady decline since the end of the 1980s? My wife worked in advertising back then....wow, those folks knew how to throw a proper party. :2thumbs:

Will we ever see such dedicated debauchery again?

1 client party

1 staff party

2 group parties

So far, 2 supplier parties with more to come.

Advertising industry last hoorah before slashing of budgets next year. Luckily I work on alcohol products. One of the only markets to do well in a downturn.