El Presidente Tasting Seminar

I love reading the reviews - especially ones with photos. However, being a complete novice, I have a hard time discerning and deciphering the tastes and smells and then of course there is the problem of describing. My I suggest to our dear leader that he put on a seminar where participants smoke the same series of cigars and dissect the experience. something much more formal and educational than the casual Herf. It could be held a Czar headquarters - maybe a whole travel package from all parts of the world. We could cover the method of proper selection from the humidor, etc. I would love an excuse to travel to Brisbane. Maybe some fishing too. Perhaps this already been done in the past and I'm just too uninformed. How about it?

I am always happy to run a seminar here in Brisbane over a four day weekend (F-M). I would suggest starting at Czar House, then lunch and then in the afternoon moving to a beach house for the remainder of the seminar (3 days).

We would incorporate Champagne and rum tastings, some fishing, great food and a lot of laughs. The ideal period of time would be either September or May. If there is enough interest I would put it together.

Alternatively what I would like to start (next week) is a series of video's to be posted on the forum.

Week 1 (video 1) "Choosing a box of cigars"

Week 2 (video 2) "Filming a group tasting including Ken, Al, Smithy, Warren, myself). We can film this on the deck at Czar House. We would two cigars back to back.

Week 3 (vdeo 3) Dissecting and comparison of the the two cigars we did the tasting of the previous week. Lets see if we can draw parallels between the flavours/experiences we recieved and the blends we dissected.

I am happy to consider any other suggestions.

I won't know the rugby coaching calender until next month. Will keep you posted.

if this new kid on the FOH block is invited i will scheduel a business trip around the same time.

great idea

footnote to Prez, Dubai is a central meeting place and i have a fantastic network there, food for thought

How about an online collaborative smoke fest? We could schedule a smoke off around the world of a few preselected cigars. Then bounce our ideas off each other through FOH in the Discussion Board and live though the Chat. Don't get me wrong...sand between the toes sounds like a memorable moment, but the vacation is already used up for next year ;)

sje said "footnote to Prez, Dubai is a central meeting place and i have a fantastic network there, food for thought"

Not to get offtrack - but what is the situation with cigar smoking in Dubai? Smoking permitted in public? Restaurants and hotels?

sje said "footnote to Prez, Dubai is a central meeting place and i have a fantastic network there, food for thought"

Not to get offtrack - but what is the situation with cigar smoking in Dubai? Smoking permitted in public? Restaurants and hotels?

it is so easy to get off topic when talking about Dubai, so, lets go,

Dubai is the Sin City of the Middle east (gulf) most restaurants will allow Cigar smoking or at the very least on the Terrace. all bars and clubs have oodles of cigar smokers and booze drinkers and of course all pleasures, sins or vices are available and not to underground.

i have yet to see it because its quite a drive but the worlds largest LCDH is apparently in Dubai, when you arrive at the airport you have 5 LCDH available. 2 in the new Emirates dedicated terminals for arriving passengers, 2 in the transit area of the old terminal (great staff also) and 1 in the baggage claim area of the old terminal. (they don’t get stock as quick as most of us do but they get it)

i am unaware of smoking laws planned but now as we speak its go for your Life, even the Sky Bar (with the worlds most expensive cocktail at 14000 AUD) (apparently 8 have been sold) at the Burj Al Arab has a fine selection of cigars (which you can smoke inside)

even during Ramadan (more behind closed doors or curtains) you can drink and smoke. (it is said most of the hotels and bars in Dubai During Ramadan are filled for Saudis and other Arabs who want not to miss out on ................ well ........... whatever they don’t want to miss out on.

to be honest i have been to Dubai about 15 times for business and i am yet to decide if i like it or not, but as far as some of the worlds finer pleasures including cigar smoking, Dubai is on the money.

i hope i have answered your question

Spiro

Ps, to give you an idea of what Dubai is all about, they will have 4 of the 5 biggest shopping Malls in the world by the end of 2009, they are near completion of the worlds tallest tower and already launched another in Dubai which will eclipse it, at more than 1KM high. They are going for the biggest and best of everything (sustainable who knows). Just a crazy place with all of the worlds most exotic sports cars on parade at the malls etc.

Oh come on , where would we get bath towels from at short notice. :lol::o

From the stack of FOH Logo Beach Towels RA is having made up for the spring seminar... :o