cigars and blood pressure

i may not be the fittest specimen around but for reasons unknown, have always had good blood pressure (apparently that and big feet were the two things that thorpie and i shared - otherwise, i couldn't run down an empty pool as fast as he could swim in one).

anyway, just recently, noticed it had crept up a little. not too bad but time to watch it. trying to work out why and the only thing i could think of was that possibly i was smoking a few more cigars these days. i'm hoping that they are unrelated but will try and monitor it.

anyone else had any similar experiences?

marginally, which i am hoping was the reason. always been on the larger size, for want of a nicer way to put it. am putting in a real effort to see if i can't knock off 18 kg's. am through the first 3-4 kgs but it just gets harder from here. and wrong time of year.

i would not have thought i smoke enough cigars for them to be the cause - hoping so, anyway.

marginally, which i am hoping was the reason. always been on the larger size, for want of a nicer way to put it. am putting in a real effort to see if i can't knock off 18 kg's. am through the first 3-4 kgs but it just gets harder from here. and wrong time of year.

i would not have thought i smoke enough cigars for them to be the cause - hoping so, anyway.

I am no doctor. I had higher blood pressure when I weighed more. When I lost weight I went to 120/80. If I had to guess, I would say weight is likely the main factor for most people with High BP.

I am not saying cigars can't effect BP. I do not know, really. They probably do. Cigars can definitely cause issues for people with various forms of heart disease.

Have that Bloated feeling Ken? :help:

Simple, you're dieing. :rolleyes:

Its the Holidays :rolleyes:

Eat, Drink and smoke as many Cigars as possible for tomorrow you may kick the bucket! :rolleyes:

Make your Bucket List quickly! :D

You may still have the opportunity to accomplish a few of them.......... :rolleyes:

I am no doctor. I had higher blood pressure when I weighed more. When I lost weight I went to 120/80. If I had to guess, I would say weight is likely the main factor for most people with High BP.

I am not saying cigars can't effect BP. I do not know, really. They probably do. Cigars can definitely cause issues for people with various forms of heart disease.

I agree with this. I dropped thirty pounds earlier in the year and it helped my BP a lot.

I actually find that relaxing with a cigar and a beverage seems to help my BP.

i may not be the fittest specimen around but for reasons unknown, have always had good blood pressure (apparently that and big feet were the two things that thorpie and i shared - otherwise, i couldn't run down an empty pool as fast as he could swim in one).

anyway, just recently, noticed it had crept up a little. not too bad but time to watch it. trying to work out why and the only thing i could think of was that possibly i was smoking a few more cigars these days. i'm hoping that they are unrelated but will try and monitor it.

anyone else had any similar experiences?

Hi Ken,

I'm a 47 year old 5'10" 165 lb guy. My BP is borderline high. I take a "supplement" since I am trying to avoid taking a script from a MD. Any way it contains mostly magnesium & Hawthorn extract. It has definetly helped. Smoking doesnt help BP thats why I unfortunately only smoke a cigar a week. Also cut out salt. We occassionally have doctors stay with us and they say salt/sodium is the worst thing for high BP. Try to avoid eating processed foods. They have a ton of sodium. Also watch the alcohol intake. I sound like a bummer but high BP is not something to mess around with. Hope this helps.

Regards

I have blood pressure issues although mine is borderline, but the standards have changed and they want it to be lower. I find that cigar smoking relaxes me and I haven't checked my BP before and after a cigar but the medical facts say that nicotine raises your BP.

Nicotine, causes the blood vessels to constrict. This narrowing of the vessels increases blood pressure. :lmao: