Potential for the Future

In thinking about Cuban Davidoff's and Dunhills and how much they cost nowadays if you are lucky enough to come across a box or individual available, what cigars does everyone think that if purchased today and held on to for 15 years will be in that same category? Whether in complete boxes or individuals. I'm talking strictly dollar wise not flavor or anything else. Hope this makes sense

-Patrick

In thinking about Cuban Davidoff's and Dunhills and how much they cost nowadays if you are lucky enough to come across a box or individual available, what cigars does everyone think that if purchased today and held on to for 15 years will be in that same category? Whether in complete boxes or individuals. I'm talking strictly dollar wise not flavor or anything else. Hope this makes sense

-Patrick

Nothing. Davidoff and Dunhill are unique. First of all, they made several of the very best blends to ever come out of Cuba. They are not Cuban owned. They both stopped production within a year of each other due to new Cuban Gov't regulations. There is no non-Cuban brand there now.

That being said, some of the current collectors items will go up as much in value. Anything released in small quantities held in high regard at the time of release will be worth much more in 15 years, if it doesn't get rereleased. The Cubans don't guarantee they will not release the limited stuff later as regular production. This is why Davidoff and Dunhill are unique. They are not coming back to Cuba.

Note: it is really closer to 19 years since Davidoffs and Dunhills were made in Havana. Most on the market are probably approx. 25 years old or older.

An interesting question that I have no good answer for. But then again, my perspective is as a cigar smoker,

not collector. I've honestly never given a thought to buying cigars for any other purpose than to smoke them.

Even if it were within my means to acquire some of the rare cigars you've mentioned, my thoughts would be

"where's the lighter" :devil2:

As DC has suggested it would more than likely have to be a relatively rare cigar that would not be reproduced

at any time.

I would say the Edmundo Dantes El Conde 109 Mexico RE would appreciate dramatically over the next few Decades. There has been a second run in production, but the unique band and rarity would make it a great collector's choice.

And even with the second run, a much smaller number of boxes than most REs. Great tasting smokes, too.

I tend to think that the stuff that will be worth the most (relatively speaking) 15 years from now are the smokes that can't be found with age.

PSD4

Monte 2

CORO

Party Shorts

etc

etc

Given the relatively cheap nature of these smokes compared to what they command with age, to me it is a no brianer. If I were purely a speculator, this is what I would buy.

I tend to think that the stuff that will be worth the most (relatively speaking) 15 years from now are the smokes that can't be found with age.

PSD4

Monte 2

CORO

Party Shorts

etc

etc

Given the relatively cheap nature of these smokes compared to what they command with age, to me it is a no brianer. If I were purely a speculator, this is what I would buy.

You may be right. I think either way could work. Both could fail. If in 15 years, PSD4's are out of favor (as they have been in the last 15 years), then you might be selling a box at a loss in 15 years. In fact, I am not sure I would want to buy a box of PSD4's from 15 years ago today, for as much as I am willing to pay for current production, if at all.

A box of PSD4's with 15 years age probably goes for 200% of what it cost 15 years ago. Dunhill Cabinetta Robustos sell for over 1000% of what they cost 15 years ago.

With the same amount of $$$ to invest either way, I am not so sure I would take a gamble on regular production, personally.

PSD4

Monte 2

CORO

Party Shorts

etc

etc

Exactly. Just look for popular sticks that AREN'T on current "vintage" lists.

Esplends, Coros, PSD4s...then add some stellar smokes that have been produced in recent years like the RA Beli

DC nailed it with Davi and Duni

my very inexperienced opinion is that the 2006 Cohiba Piramides will be commanding quite a premium over their initial price at $20 a stick. Touching on DC's point, I think that this is partly because I expect them to be smoking very well 15 years down the road... I hope and prey they will. I recently paid a premium for the original release Siglo VI's purely because I plan on smoking the hell out of them, not to look at them and admire them.

You may be right. I think either way could work. Both could fail. If in 15 years, PSD4's are out of favor (as they have been in the last 15 years), then you might be selling a box at a loss in 15 years. In fact, I am not sure I would want to buy a box of PSD4's from 15 years ago today, for as much as I am willing to pay for current production, if at all.

A box of PSD4's with 15 years age probably goes for 200% of what it cost 15 years ago. Dunhill Cabinetta Robustos sell for over 1000% of what they cost 15 years ago.

With the same amount of $$$ to invest either way, I am not so sure I would take a gamble on regular production, personally.

yeah, but did anyone back in the 80's HONESTLY think that davidoffs and dunhills, before they were discontinued, would cost what they do today? because afterall, when they were in production in the 80's they were just "regular production" as you say. just a thought.

bruce

yeah, but did anyone back in the 80's HONESTLY think that davidoffs and dunhills, before they were discontinued, would cost what they do today? because afterall, when they were in production in the 80's they were just "regular production" as you say. just a thought.

bruce

Absolutely. No one knew. If we knew now what would be worth the most later, it would really make this more simple. :jester:

I would also bet that most of the popular regular production cigars available today will still be on the market in 15 years.

I could be wrong. These are just my opinions.

Nothing. Davidoff and Dunhill are unique. First of all, they made several of the very best blends to ever come out of Cuba. They are not Cuban owned. They both stopped production within a year of each other due to new Cuban Gov't regulations. There is no non-Cuban brand there now.

That being said, some of the current collectors items will go up as much in value. Anything released in small quantities held in high regard at the time of release will be worth much more in 15 years, if it doesn't get rereleased. The Cubans don't guarantee they will not release the limited stuff later as regular production. This is why Davidoff and Dunhill are unique. They are not coming back to Cuba.

Note: it is really closer to 19 years since Davidoffs and Dunhills were made in Havana. Most on the market are probably approx. 25 years old or older.

When I read this. This is exactly what I was thinking.