Champagne and Cigars

I posted similar thread also on another board as I have interest to find out global feeling in Champagne and Cigars.

Pairing wine and food or champagne and food is an individual choice, so why not Champagne and Cigar? Each person has it’s own ideas

Champagne tends to go very well with appetizers or opening courses in a meal. It also goes well with sushi , oysters and very light meals, and of course as an after-dinner celebration.

My personal, and very bad, taste says that if I smoke a cigar best is to pair it with champagne.

What is Champagne?...........many bubbles and all this is translated into a drink with high acidity, so it is basically a refreshing drink, clears our taste buds.

When we smoke our mouth tends to dry out and when we drink a champagne generally we can get vanilla and dried fruits, earth and light spices, same that we can also detect in a cigar.

So the typical acidity of champagne, will have a nice refreshing impact on the mouth after a cigar….at least this is my humble opinion and my favourite go.

Have a try and let me know if you agree with me.

I've not tried it yet, but have been meaning to for some time. Ken has mentioned the combination as well - here is a quote from a recent post by KG:

"i have posted this before but richard geoffroy, the brilliant winemaker who is in charge of dom, is mad keen on matching dom and cigars and has undertaken extensive tests (i have some of the results somewhere but not at home at the moment). he has worked out the best cigar match for every dom (now that would be a job i could handle). and he keeps testing as they change as each dom gets more mature."

I agree with you with respect to the acidity - the only wine I enjoy with a cigar is a crisp white with an acidic backbone, that can stand up to cigar smoke.

I don't like red wine with cigars, as I feel the smoke really brings the wine's tannin to the fore, and muddles the flavor of the wine.

I'll try the champagne combination - or maybe I'll try it with a good prosecco :)

I realize many people enjoy the pairing but I honestly do not care for it. But I have to say I do not care much for champagne in general. I only drink it once or twice a year around the holidays as the esposa likes it.

Champagne and cigars.. WoW! But my opnion it is possible to compare only in several cases:

-Champagne should be not very cold because there can come anaesthesia of flavouring receptors.

-With cigar champagne compare only on 1\3.

-Better pairing too sweet champagne than brut, for example, Moet & Chandon Nectar Imperial

-Cigar is typical digestive, and champagne - apperitive. Here obvious discrepancy. I suppose that there are fans, but that is not absolutely good, port is better.

Cheers! :)

I for one do not like White Wine at all and really do not care for Champagne. For me, the sweetness of Champagne would deter from being refreshing for the palate and providing any enhancement for an enjoyable cigar.

When I do enjoy a glass of wine, it is a glass of red. Perhaps it is for the flavors that a cigar brings out the tannins in the wine along with the earthiness or the fruitiness.

I find that the acidic body of white wine and especially Champagne give me severe heartburn, thus why I stay away from them.

I for one do not like White Wine at all and really do not care for Champagne. For me, the sweetness of Champagne would deter from being refreshing for the palate and providing any enhancement for an enjoyable cigar.

When I do enjoy a glass of wine, it is a glass of red. Perhaps it is for the flavors that a cigar brings out the tannins in the wine along with the earthiness or the fruitiness.

I find that the acidic body of white wine and especially Champagne give me severe heartburn, thus why I stay away from them.

Tickles my nose - I am sure there would be a huge number of folks who favor this paring already.

I also avoid Champagne and whites for the same reasons as Tampa. :)

I agree with you with respect to the acidity - the only wine I enjoy with a cigar is a crisp white with an acidic backbone, that can stand up to cigar smoke.

I don't like red wine with cigars, as I feel the smoke really brings the wine's tannin to the fore, and muddles the flavor of the wine.

I like Red Burgundy with cigars. Particularly well aged burgundy. A perfect match between the two can be a crapshoot. I agree with the tannin amplification with a Cabernet or Bordeaux.

I like Red Burgundy with cigars. Particularly well aged burgundy. A perfect match between the two can be a crapshoot. I agree with the tannin amplification with a Cabernet or Bordeaux.

Peter, I believe you, but I have to say I'd be a bit nervous about smoking with a first or grand cru :)

Of course, I'd be happy to try it with one of your well aged Burgundies, and perhaps one of your Cohiba Gran Coronas :D

Peter, I believe you, but I have to say I'd be a bit nervous about smoking with a first or grand cru :)

Of course, I'd be happy to try it with one of your well aged Burgundies, and perhaps one of your Cohiba Gran Coronas :D

Colt,

I was worried about this with previous posts of yours. This one was the clincher. I am sure of it. You hold back to much. :) Pop the Grand Cru and light the cigar. Everything will be fine.

Love,

DC

I love the pairing as many others on here do. I have only been smoking cigars for three years or so but have yet to find much that they don't pair well with! I love them with all Champs, Scotches, Bourbons, Red Wine, White Wine, Beers, Vodkas, and Gins. There is just something special about Champagne and Cigars though that transcends any rules or preconceptions regarding pairings in that they are both very celebratory in my eyes (any and every day is a celebration) and naturally go great together in that regard. I guess what I am trying to say is that, on the worst of days or even just your average Tuesday, you can pop a bottle of Champ and clip a good cigar and things get better pretty quickly. Especially if surrounded by loved ones...now I am sounding like a Hallmark Card!

G'day Mr. Japan

I share similar opinions with you on the pairing of champagne and cigars. I enjoyed pairing cigars with other beverages too. ie. japanese sencha with cigars.

I've recently started a similar thread as well and FOH members have been generous with their opinions. http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...showtopic=95241

My plans over this festive months is to do more tasting sessions for champagnes and cigars. I appreciate that it is not everyone's favourite pairing but I find it interesting for my palate. I'm a novice and only tasted non-vintage champagne so far.

Mr. Japan, what is your current favourite champagne and cigar combination?

mef :)

i'm a big fan of the combo. much prefer it to red wine and cigars (love red wine but just can't get them to click with cigars - yet to have a match of those two where i think that the overall effect better than the individuals).

i will find those notes on dom and cigars.