A smoke to deal with a lay off?

I just got the word that my job has been eliminated -- I worked in the financial industry (an once large asset manager) and things are pretty rough in the biz right now. They cut a third of staff this round.

So, to deal drown my sorrows, I'm thinking of smoking my last Trini Robusto Extra with a glass a Laguvulin this afternoon, then maybe break out a '98 ERDM Taino for this evening.

What would be your choice for a lay-off smoke?

-Brian

really soory to hear it but i have an awful feeling that you won't be the only one, either side of the pond, asking the same question. i would pull out the best cuban rum i have, put the feet up on the balcony and see if i could find one of those last SLR DC's from 01.

Sorry to hear this, Brian. I was out of work for nearly 2 years right after 9/11/01 (I quit, but it still hurt). Keep your chin up, and don't lose hope. It'll happen for you . . . guaranteed.

Anyway, to answer your question, if we're talking about cigars I actually own, then I would probably smoke one of the few Montecristo A's I have sitting in the humi.

And I would pair it with some Johnny Walker Blue Label.

Thanks for the good wishes and cigar suggestions.

Luckily, I'm one of those folks who "saved for a rainy day," so I'm probably better off than many in my situation. Hope the economic turmoil slows down and turns soon for everyone's sake. As the aphorism says -- there is always opportunity in crises.

On the cigar suggestions, I don't have any Boliar CGs in my humi, but it seems to be a favorite for some, so I'll try one soon.

The '98 ERDM Taino I smoked last night was excellent -- and the Halloween festivities in the neighborhood helped the mood greatly. I forgot how much I like these churchills -- a little milder than usually go for, but the flavors were great. If you can find these anywhere with a little age on them (do they even still make them?), I recommend you give them a try.

-Brian