Montecristo Sublimes 2008 or are they 2007?

Thanks for the review and photos mate. Very informative and entertaining as usual.

I note your comment about lack of consistency "from the same box"... Without wanting to offend (but merely to encourage discussion) I've often found the prospect of expecting consistency from a box to be unfulfillable - being that the cigars are boxed according to colour - not batch, day of manufacture, roller etc...

Keep up the great work guys!

Guest Warren

Rob I just want to say thanks for yet another fun afternoon up on the deck. Great cigars and even greater company.

Oh and thanks for your help Al , the shooting pains in my left arm have finally stopped.

I just want to ask this one question Rob.

Is it good that your seeing more of me , or good that your seeing less of your wife.:-D

Three mediocre cigars already out of ten is totally wrong for the supposed "best" Cuba is producing.

I just received my Cuaba Piramides & will let you know my impressions once they settle in a bit.

» Note the flame proof thick wrapper that is flaky and burn resistant in

» these photo's. Also note by the coloring on Rob's fingers because he a

» "Wet" smoker, that the thick wrapper's dark coloring is coming off and

» discoloring his fingers much like a Non-Cuban Maduro does because of the

» extra spray on coloring in the fermentation process

Are you being facetious when say that they use a "spray-on coloring" during fermentation?

» Are you being facetious when say that they use a "spray-on coloring"

» during fermentation?

No, this is a widely known fact. Many Non-Cuban Manufacturers will spray on coffee or another sweet substance on the Maduro wrapper leaf during Fermentation to arrive at the color and taste of a Maduro cigar.

» » Are you being facetious when say that they use a "spray-on coloring"

» » during fermentation?

»

» No, this is a widely known fact. Many Non-Cuban Manufacturers will spray

» on coffee or another sweet substance on the Maduro wrapper leaf during

» Fermentation to arrive at the color and taste of a Maduro cigar.

Is spraying the leaf during fermentation a practice that all manufactures do to all tobacco with a certain degree? Or is it just a maduro only thing?

We broke a core rule in this tasting in not letting them rest 30 days.

I will taste again in a few weeks and if what I experienced Friday is replicated then I will put 100 or so away.

As the weeks tick by more and more of you will be in a position to do a tasting. Make sure you post a review for us.

I know some of the guys suffered from the experience with underfilled cigars. But I found the one I smoked to be quite brilliant.

It was Monte on 'roids. The flavour you'd expect from the Marque but with 0 mesing around.

I personally like a strong smoke and the sublime will go onto the list along with P2's and D4's as a must have.

If I should happen to get bored with them, I can lay them down for my great grandchildren as they'll still be going.

» » There has been a small mix up with the 2008 Montecristo Sublimes which

» has been noted by HSA. Some boxes have arrived with 2007 LE bands...

» Totally understandable...for there was an over production of the EL band

» for 2007 so to be eco-friendly...use them! And as for for EL 2008 band,

» there were real demand from counterfeiters waiting next to the windows of

» Factory !!! :-D :-D

Then again....if you live and work in Cuba...what's the real difference between one year and the next ;-)

Of course it could be a reflection on how well the 2007 LE's sold :-D

» FAKES! :-D

»

» Rob...do you have other boxes with 2007 bands...or is this the only one?

We only received the one box but there were seveal received by PCC.

I should have kept it as a collectors item but no doubt the next HSA stuffup is just around the corner ;-)

» As the weeks tick by more and more of you will be in a position to do a

» tasting. Make sure you post a review for us.

I will certainly do that. The box I received contained the ugliest looking cigars I've seen this side of some 2005 RyJ Cazadores. The wrapper is even more intensely splotchy, rough, and unevenly stretched than in the really tasty Trinidad Ingenios. The smell, however, was heavenly.

Didn't even think to look at the year on the the LE bands. Will do so tonight.

Wilkey

» » box I received contained the ugliest looking

cigars I've seen this side of some 2005 RyJ Cazadores»

Damn...you may have got Kens by accident :wink:

Seriously they are not oil paintings but you are right about the aroma.

» » box I received contained the ugliest looking

» » cigars I've seen this side of some 2005 RyJ Cazadores»

»

» Damn...you may have got Kens by accident :wink:

»

» Seriously they are not oil paintings but you are right about the aroma.

If they smoked like those Cazadores, I'd be a happy man. :-D

Wilkey

• 1 month later...

Friday afternoon on Czar Deck and after cooking the team BBQ I was looking forward to reviewing te new Montecristo Sublimes. Before anyone could say "Freebie" the tasting team arrived like seagulls on a chip :lol2:

There has been a small mix up with the 2008 Montecristo Sublimes which has been noted by HSA. Some boxes have arrived with 2007 LE bands......the more things change the more they stay the same :rotfl:

We only received one such box which I kept for myself.

image8373.jpg

image8374.jpg

image8375.jpg

image8376.jpg

This weeks tasting team included.

Alain....I should adopt him given the amount of time he spends here :-D

image8377.jpg

Smithy....he needs some sun as he has a "Goth" look currently happening. He has already hit me for a pay rise since he got back. Given the amount of wine he drinks and cigars he smokes he owes me about $50K.

image8378.jpg

I see more of Warren than I see of my wife......which is a good thing.

image8379.jpg

Shagga Arrives.....we can hear him on his Harley a mile away. I would love to do a cigar interview with Shagga but if I take out the expletives I wouldn't have anything to upload ;-)

image8380.jpg

image8381.jpg

Accountant to the stars and underworld ...Arthur... also graced us with his presence but somehow I missed getting a photo. Those interested can google "Australias most wanted".

Back to the review...and what a mixed review it was.

Aroma at cold is a mix of quality Vuelta Abajo Tobacco and cocoa. Striking. The cigars are well rolled with a dark oily wrapper. I did note some cigars were slightly underfilled. This did pose to be a problem.

Consensus on draw at cold was "tea" and clean tobacco.

The draw on Al's, Warrens and mine was perfect. On Smithy's, Arthurs and Shagga's loose.

First Third.

Alain, Warren and I had the same experience.

Medium full body. Black coffee core overlaid with intense cocoa. Sensational. The cigar is building in body to full. This cigar has legs for aging. Serious legs. The air is filled with Cocoa aroma. The smoke is thick, white and plentiful. The burn is ragged which is to be expected in a young cigar yet the ash is firm.

Smithy, Arthur, Shagga.

Disappointing. Light bodied at best with no apparent discernable flavours. The loose draw (underfilling) has robbed them of the essence of the cigar.

image8382.jpg

image8383.jpg

Second Third

Alain , Warren and I found the power building to solid full. There is nicotine in abundance. Al and Warren were struggling with the strength. At one point Warren called for a defibrillator. Al was the closest thing we had.

image8384.jpg

The flavours were deeper than the opening third but along the same lines (deep dark coffee and cocoa). There is not much complexity but tons of promise.

Unfortunately Smithy, Shagga and Arthur due to a loose draw had nothing more than an average cigar. Mild and few flavours.

image8385.jpg

Final Third

For Alain, Warren and I the final third was brutally strong. The cocoa has gone and we are smoking a nicotine tannin laden monster. I would lay these down for 10 years and do so comfortably. This cigar would become a classic.

Smithy, Arthur and Shagga were looking to throw theirs. It was fuller than the opening two thirds but really it was a ho hum experience.

Summary

Inconsistency strikes again and this is proof that inconsistency can come from the same box.

In my eyes based on my experience (and Alains/Warrens) this is a blockbuster cigar for the ages. The other guys....underwhelmed. Arthur has had several and this was his first disappointment.

I can only rate it on what I experienced which is a 92 with potential for a 96.

Thanks to all the guys for a great afternoon :-D

image8386.jpg

» (but merely to encourage discussion) I've often

» found the prospect of expecting consistency from a box to be unfulfillable

It's nearly 2009 - I feel you have the right to expect some semblance of consistency, both intra,

and interbox. Now add to it that these are ELs, and the price they command, and it borders on

unacceptable.

I'm assuming (and perhaps I shouldn't) that the tobacco is from the same harvests, and though

of course there may be slight variations, and the odd "off" cigar, I think in this case we should

expect the profiles to be much closer than they seem to be.

And the EL bands....:no:

On a side note, I can't help but want to try and put a caption to the following photo - feel free

to add your own:

»

»

image8387.jpg

"I'll beat what's left of the hetero out of you yet!"

» image8375.jpg

Funny how they didn't even get consistency in the EL bands within the same box . . .

» image8386.jpg

Wow, look at all the color that thing left behind on your fingers! Yikes! Unless of course, you'd decided to take a break and play in the mud for a while :-P

I don't go for ELs and REs due to the inflated price, but I'd certainly expect more consistency than you seem to have gotten with these. Shame that what sounds like a cigar that could be a classic in 10 years is just a crapshoot.

» On a side note, I can't help but want to try and put a caption to the

» following photo - feel free

» to add your own:

» image8387.jpg

» "I'll beat what's left of the hetero out of you yet!"

LOL.... even though I dont fully understand this complex relationship you and Al share, Colt.... this caption is priceless.