H. Upmann Mag 50

Spartan

• 1 month later...
Hey Spartan, They look awsome. Have you smoked any yet? I would like to know.

Enjoy Brother! :blink:

Get some!! they are my current fave & each one has been a beauty!

100% consistant flavor & draw...dark wrappers with a slight oily sheen. :P

(EMA May 08)

I'm getting these from H&F and must say, mine have all been underwhelming. All under-filled, mild, flavorless. Could it be the regions get disparate boxes? I have 3 cabinets of 10 and tried 2 from each. Smokes like a cigarette. Oh well, the luck of the draw.

I don't have any myself, but there have been a few posts here commenting on these being somewhat underfilled.

I'm getting these from H&F and must say, mine have all been underwhelming. All under-filled, mild, flavorless. Could it be the regions get disparate boxes? I have 3 cabinets of 10 and tried 2 from each. Smokes like a cigarette. Oh well, the luck of the draw.

Really? The ones from Rob have been pretty good!

Maybe I should order a 10 Cab from Rob. I've noticed a few different bands on the regular release. And disparate sizes (lengths) on the 2005 LE's. These cigars must be coming from several different factories.

I have 2 cabs from the Czar and they are different. The 1st cab has dark oilly wrappers & each stick looks like a work of art...beautiful presentation.

The 2nd cab has lighter & somewhat dryer wrappers and the construction is not as nice. I havent had the chance to sample cab 2 but they have the same fantastic aroma as the first!

If the 50s ELs were half this good, I wouldnt of sold them all. Been smokeing 1 or 2 a week and they are the bomb! First time I bought so many cabs of 1 cigar.

I have to say that the ELs are beginning to come around to the point that I'm very glad I still have a few. I am also very glad to have tried the new release.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no doubt... the new Mag 50 is an excellent cigar. It has a flavor profile that is recognizably Upmann, but (in my best Ken impersonation), it has flavors of meat stock and stone fruit. No kidding. In an earlier review I described the core profile as herbal, with essences of roast game bird and ripe peaches. It's an alluring profile, and I find myself drawn to it more and more often. Unique, to say the least.

Nice Pics! I am *TRYING* to hold out for the 30 day rule before I give one a shot. May not make it based upon the feedback!

We should start a thread on the "30 day rule", in some circles known affectionately as "Van's rule". This rule is based on solid experience and refers to the importance of giving a cigar which has been shipped overseas at least a month in the humidor to stabilize and re-humidify. Why is this necessary? Because during shipping, the cigars are exposed to a wide range of atmospheric pressures, temperatures, and humidity fluctuations that can "shock" the cigar and make it susceptible to a poor burn and/or unrepresentative and unpleasant flavors. I've had cigars ROTT (right off the truck) that were unusually "wet", dry, bland, bitter or harsh, but after being given some "down time" in proper storage, they smoked beautifully.

On the other hand, I've had some cigars ROTT that were surprisingly good. Luck of the draw? Perhaps they were wrapped especially well, or were in an ideal condition at the time of shipping. Who knows? The only thing I know for sure is that the longer that you allow an internationally-shipped cigar to stabilize, the "better" (actually the more representative) it will be.

Now this doesn't mean that you can't break the rule, if you are especially curious, or just plain impatient. I've done it often enough, though not nearly so much now, as I did when I first got the Habanos "bug". No, I just realize that I'm flipping a coin... I just might be pleasantly surprised, but much more often I'll be disappointed. In either case, just be aware that you won't be able to take the "full measure" of your purchase for at least a month or two.