Cuban Coffie question?

Hi

Folks

I know this is not a Cuban Cigar question, but relates to the subject?

Almost once a week I go to my mother house to take her to the store, help out etc....yea I also eat some good old school home cook cuban food...don't let my wife know!;-)

My brother lives with my MOM, and he looks forward to see what Cigar we are going to smoke....on my visit...

My Mom always makes coffee.....she make it 2 to 3 times when I there, and it goes real nice with the Cigars.......

My question:

Does anyone know what band of Cuabn coffe is the best??:-)

Does anyone smoke Cigars with coffee?

Any one try these before:

Serrano Coffee

Santiago Coffee

Cubita Coffee Beans

» My question:

» Does anyone know what band of Cuabn coffe is the best??:-)

» Does anyone smoke Cigars with coffee?

»

Carlos, I've had Cuban coffee on visits to Key West, but I don't know what brand was used.

I enjoy it, but don't make it at home.

I sometimes drink coffee with cigars - often times iced coffee. I make a double espresso,

mix it with press pot coffee, let it cool, add a little half and half and ice, and I'm good.

» Hi

» Folks

» I know this is not a Cuban Cigar question, but relates to the subject?

» Almost once a week I go to my mother house to take her to the store, help

» out etc....yea I also eat some good old school home cook cuban

» food...don't let my wife know!;-)

»

» My brother lives with my MOM, and he looks forward to see what Cigar we

» are going to smoke....on my visit...

»

» My Mom always makes coffee.....she make it 2 to 3 times when I there, and

» it goes real nice with the Cigars.......

»

» My question:

»

» Any one try these before:

» Serrano Coffee

» Santiago Coffee

» Cubita Coffee Beans

Hi Miami,

I'm a big fan of Cuban coffee (amongst the best in the world IMHO.) I'm a big fan of Turquino first thing in the morning (as it has a light honey taste to it I find) and Cubita later in the day. I smoke coffee with cigars quite a bit and find that a white coffee (Cubita usually) is the perfect accent to a Petit Edmundo. Try it if you like the PE and I doubt you'll regret it. Also, having a cup of black Turquino with a Por Larrananga PC is one of the best experiences you can have with a cigar/drink combo.

There are a lot of cigars that I wouldn't have with coffee: Stronger blends that I like a lot such as Partagas (although the D4 might get an exemption) and although I'm a big fan of Ramon Allones SS and find it gives a realy creamy taste I'd have to go with a cafe cubano (sweet double espresso and a glass of water) to pair it up correctly taste wise.

The Santiago I haven't had, but a buddy of mine found it to be not to his taste. I'll give it a go soon. I've found that with Cubita and Turquino you have to be less genorous with the amount of coffee added to the plunge press as it seems to be extremely concentrated: If you like your coffee strong add about 2/3 of the amount you usually would for your regular coffee or you'll find it's like drinking (very tasty) tar that will get your bowels moving!

On that childish point I'll sign off :-)

Harry

» Thanks for that Harry, I'm intrigued now. I can't recall having seen Cuban

» Coffee here in Australia. Any locals have any clues?

Would El Prez be able to help? If not there's a spot in my part of the world that ships coffee online, although all the way to Oz would probably cost an arm and a leg, so you might find someone more local...

I had Pilon and Cafe de Llave when I lived in Miami. Those are the two that the Cuban-Americans would make in Little Havana. Readily available in Miami (can actully find Pilon sometimes in Georgia). Both pair well with cigars. I haven't had Cuban coffee from Cuba though, so I couldn't tell you.

The only Cuban coffee I've ever had is Cubita. The kind I bought was already ground and vaccum sealed in the bag. The grind is very fine -- like espresso. As others have said, you have to use less than you normally would or else it really is thick like mud. Nice flavor, but more on the full bodied end. If you like your Folgers, it's probably not for you.

While I dont have any experience with any gourmet cuban coffee's by far the best strore brand is Pilon Gourmet. It is either sold in a can or the vacuum sealed container and is mostly black if I remember. I used to make quite a bit of this stuff when I worked in Miami for myself and clients. Coffee is my favorite drink pairing with cigars and while a PLPC goes well with one dont forget about the trini reyes or a Siglo I or II.

I love cafe with cigars. My wife is Cubana and we drink lots of coffee. We bought one of those Italian expresso metal pot at Ross the kind they use in Cuba. I like Peets Major Dickenson for expresso. The Cubans here in California use La Llave or Pilon.

i'm away at the moment so not sure what the brand is - have to check when i get back but the big black bag of beans if that helps.

i really enjoy cuban offee and i find it some of the best i've ever tried and i make certain i always bring some back from every trip.

i've never seen it available here. we should check with merls, a mate who is the godfather of the coffee scene in brizzy - he'll know. and report back.

» and if i was at home and not in mclaren vale, i could have checked.

» forgive me for not having memorised the names of all foodstuffs in my hme.

Thats easy: Moet, Bolly, Y'Quem, Montrachet........

» i'm away at the moment so not sure what the brand is - have to check when i

» get back but the big black bag of beans if that helps.

» i really enjoy cuban offee and i find it some of the best i've ever tried

» and i make certain i always bring some back from every trip.

» i've never seen it available here. we should check with merls, a mate who

» is the godfather of the coffee scene in brizzy - he'll know. and report

» back.

If you can't find a supplier locally I can drop you a line with a site that sells Cuban coffee online: Northern Hemisphere, so it might be expensive, but they ship worldwide. I won't post the link here as they also sell cigars. A little more expensive than you'd pick up a bag of Cubita for in Cuba though :-)

Hi Carlos!

» My question:

Yes, I do! :-D Serrano and Turquino.

Yes, I do! :-D

» Any one try these before:

» Serrano Coffee

» Santiago Coffee

» Cubita Coffee Beans

Serrano and Cubita yes, Santiage no. Serrano is MUCH, MUCH better than Cubita. Cubita is very bitter. Serrano is strong, earthy and nutty. The Turquino is a bit more refined, smokier, and perhaps less strong. Both have very low acidity.

» Thanks for that Harry, I'm intrigued now. I can't recall having seen Cuban

» Coffee here in Australia. Any locals have any clues?

I love Cubita! I get mine from an online Cuban cigar retailer based here in the UK. (They sell Serrano as well.) You'd have to want it bad to get it from here though I guess - I checked it out and you'd be talking £20 for shipping to Australia a 1kg bag of beans costing £20! Maybe persuade Rob to branch out...

Jen

Thanks Jen...that's a beautiful name ;-)

Dean and I have roasted some green bean Cuban cofee as a few years ago we were toying with releasing a Cuban coffee for Australia.

The biggest problem was maintaining consistent bean supply from Cuba. Their top grade bean is all taken to Japan.

If we could solve the supply limitations I would love to launch a fresh roast Cuban Coffee with Dean.

» If we could solve the supply limitations I would love to launch a fresh

» roast Cuban Coffee with Dean.

just slap a gold limited edition sticker on it, say supplies are limited, and you'll need another donkey cart.

(then you can release it again)

» » If we could solve the supply limitations I would love to launch a fresh

» » roast Cuban Coffee with Dean.

»

» just slap a gold limited edition sticker on it, say supplies are limited,

» and you'll need another donkey cart.

» (then you can release it again)

Did I send you my marketing plan??????? ;-)