Anyone for Toads?

It's ironic that the cane toads were originally imported to help control beetles, but that they now have gotten out of control and threaten the livelihood of native species.

The Ozzies never learn. Same damn thing is happening with Spaniards. :-P

great example of human stupidity in dragging non native creatures around the plant (that said, i've always been disappointed our kiwi nighbours have never shown us any gratitude for iving them our cute little possums).

as a kid living on the edge of brizzy, i'd take a golf club out at night an in 30 minutes, would have 30 toads. ould do it night after night. a plague.

» great example of human stupidity in dragging non native creatures around

» the plant (that said, i've always been disappointed our kiwi nighbours

» have never shown us any gratitude for iving them our cute little

» possums).

» as a kid living on the edge of brizzy, i'd take a golf club out at night

» an in 30 minutes, would have 30 toads. ould do it night after night. a

» plague.

Hmmm, mass killing of animals in your childhood? Isn't that a sign of a psychopath? Rob, you might want to lay off making fun of Ken. :-P

» The Ozzies never learn. Same damn thing is happening with Spaniards. :-P

:lol2:

Truth be known that as a child growing up I and the other street urchins took great pleasure in taping fire crackers to the backs of cane toads.

Native Australian wildlife in the Eastern states appear to have staged a recovery. Most Snakes and Lizards no longer attempt to eat toads but there is evidence that some have adapted to the toxicity and can now eat them (Keelback snake).

It has only taken 50 years.

Guest Warren

»

» Hmmm, mass killing of animals in your childhood? Isn't that a sign of a

» psychopath? Rob, you might want to lay off making fun of Ken. :-P

It was pretty much a childhood sport here in Brisbane. If you looked out in the back yard at night the lawn would literally by covered with the bastards.

I'm a bit of a sook when it comes to animals , normally I wouldn't harm a hair on their heads but I can kill toads.

A few years back when I was a competitive pistol shooter I shot one out at the range with a 357 mag using wadcutter amo. Turned that sucker inside out.

I now have plenty of the little buggers in my back yard again but I don't think my neighbours would appreciate me blasting away with a gun.:-D

» Hmmm, mass killing of animals in your childhood? Isn't that a sign of a

» psychopath? Rob, you might want to lay off making fun of Ken. :-P

as a kid, all i wanted to be was a zookeeper. used to keep anything i could catch - lizards, snakes, finches, whatever. and these poor things (i know it is not their fault) were in the business of killing native wildlife. so out with the 6 iron every chance. so it was not random slaughter of anything, just toads.

i did get banned from doing that for a whil after one took off acros the lawn and i chased it, swinging wildly. i finally got it, a masive divot and half a wheelbarrow of dirt and lobbed the lot straight into the pool in front of my old man. not happy.

i will confess that as kids, one does some rather cruel things. we would not tape crackers to their backs. if you poke them in the lower back with a stick, their mouth flies open. in would go the cracker. at least it was quick for the poor buggers.

I used to visit a mate up in Qld during my late teens and we'd duct tape cane toads to Roman candles. We'd watch the buggers fly off into the wild blue yonder and burst into bright, colourful lights. Though a raincoat or umbrella was sometimes necessary when it rained bits of crispy toad...

» as a kid, all i wanted to be was a zookeeper. used to keep anything i

» could catch

»

» Ken...certainly explains your "successes" in Havana. ;-)

Beautifully stated!!

Although Ken liked the 6 Iron I prefered the 3 Iron, just got that bit of extra length and speed, it really made sure the little suckers were dead when they hit a tree or wall in full flight.

» » as a kid, all i wanted to be was a zookeeper. used to keep anything i

» » could catch

» »

» » Ken...certainly explains your "successes" in Havana. ;-)

»

» Beautifully stated!!

»

» Although Ken liked the 6 Iron I prefered the 3 Iron, just got that bit of

» extra length and speed, it really made sure the little suckers were dead

» when they hit a tree or wall in full flight.

first, you'll have to excuse me. i am having trouble hearing, what with the sound of all that thin ice cracking around the president.

a cricket stump was another useful anti-toad tool. a few minutes and you coul have 5 or 6 skewered on the one stump.

and if the rspca should ever find this, i am, of course, joking and this is pure fiction.

» and if the rspca should ever find this, i am, of course, joking and this is pure fiction.

You must be joking... does the RSPCA actually care about cane-toads :surprised: ? To be authroised to kill 'em, do you have to givem' anesthetics?

» » and if the rspca should ever find this, i am, of course, joking and this

» is pure fiction.

»

» You must be joking... does the RSPCA actually care about cane-toads

» :surprised: ? To be authroised to kill 'em, do you have to givem'

» anesthetics?

i think that the rspca might be more concerned about cruelty to animals and in all fairness, shoving a firecracker down their gob could qualify. the 'approved' method these days is to catch them, and place them in a bag in the freezer. theory is that they quietly go to sleep and feel no pain. think i'd rather a quick explosion.

» i think that the rspca might be more concerned about cruelty to animals and in all fairness, shoving a firecracker down their gob could qualify.

» the 'approved' method these days is to catch them, and place them in a bag in the freezer. theory is that they quietly go to sleep and feel no pain. think i'd rather a quick explosion.

Fascinating :lookaround:

Fortunately, it seems that disposal of tobacco beetles through deep freezing is RSPCA compliant...