Por Larranaga Robusto Regional Release Orders.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple fact is there are so many REs coming out now, I can't afford them all. Gotta pick & choose. I want this one! Monte Reservas? the regular 06 MC#4s are stunning. Buy an extra box & age it yourself for 5 years.

» Can someone please show us pictures of this cigar, the box, etc.?

I have requested some pics from PCC HK as they will not be here until the 29th.

I only know two people who have tried the PL Robusto. On their advice to me, I don't think anybody is going to be disappointed.

» » I have requested some pics from PCC HK as they will not be here until

» the

» » 29th.

»

» I have two words for PCC HK...... DIGITAL CAMERA.

Hi,

I am new to the forum. A friend got me an early box of the PL Robusto. I will take a few pictures for everyone a little later.

My disappointment is my cash flow which prevents me from placing an order. I have looked forward to these and thought they would have been out well before now. The decision is not a rough one, I either get my daughter Christmas this year or buy the PL Robusto's, I'll be thinking of you when you enjoying them, Family first.........

» Well, I am far from a pro photographer, but I am sure this will do. Sounds

» like most of you will have your own box soon...

Did you buy those in Havana? What's up with the clear hologram sticker?

Thanks for the photos.

» Did you buy those in Havana? What's up with the clear hologram sticker?

I am checking with my friend who gave them to me. I think that may be what it means. I had them before or at the same time they were shipped to HK, according to Rob.

I did not buy them there. I have not ever been to Cuba, nor do I know how to deal with anyone there directly.

The Hologram does appear to be some sort of Authenticity label. It says Cuba and Habanos. It also says something in spanish "Aqui Su Garanna" I think. It also has a serial number or something on it.

» » Did you buy those in Havana? What's up with the clear hologram sticker?

»

»

» I am checking with my friend who gave them to me. I think that may be what

» it means. I had them before or at the same time they were shipped to HK,

» according to Rob.

I was told it is another level of Guarantee of Authenticity. I do not know which countries use it, but I think these were likely bought in Cuba.

Those cigars do look amazing. And it is my understanding as well that those hologram stickers are found on boxes bought in Cuba. However, all the recent bought in Cuba boxes I've seen also have the white health warning sticker in the upper left. It says "Este producto puede ser dañino para su salud y crea adiccion."

Wilkey

» However, all the

» recent bought in Cuba boxes I've seen also have the white health warning

» sticker in the upper left. It says "Este producto puede ser dañino para su

» salud y crea adiccion."

»

» Wilkey

Yeah other boxes I have with hologram have that warning sticker. These may not have been sold retail, however. I doubt you can walk into a Habanos store or anywhere else in Cuba and find these sitting on the shelf. I could be wrong, but I do not think they sell regional releases in Cuba, generally.

» Yeah other boxes I have with hologram have that warning sticker. These may

» not have been sold retail, however. I doubt you can walk into a Habanos

» store or anywhere else in Cuba and find these sitting on the shelf. I

» could be wrong, but I do not think they sell regional releases in Cuba, generally.

Right on. Thanks for the clarification.

And I hope I didn't come across as questioning the authenticity of your cigars. I acknowledge that there are probably plenty of non-official channels for obtaining goods, even pre-release. And I'm still learning about all the markers that accompany boxes from various retail points.

Wilkey

» Right on. Thanks for the clarification.

»

» And I hope I didn't come across as questioning the authenticity of your

» cigars. I acknowledge that there are probably plenty of non-official

» channels for obtaining goods, even pre-release. And I'm still learning

» about all the markers that accompany boxes from various retail points.

»

» Wilkey

Here is my two cents on Counterfeits:

They exist, but nearly as widely as some people would have everyone believe.

The methods used by most internet detectives would be fine, if the quality control could be relied upon in Cuba. The plain fact of the matter is the Cubans while improving are not meticulous enough to rely on something as simple as a missing sticker from a box to determine it is fake. Everyone seems to use the Guilty until proven innocent method.

I know of an authorized Habanos retailer who opened a new, sealed box of cigars. It had 24 of the smokes the box said were in it and one which was either the wrong brand or band. Where would that fall on most people’s list who expose fakes? They would all likely call it fake. It was obviously real. It was just a screw up.

Now, I am going to take this a step further and go out on a limb; I will probably take a beating for saying this, but that has never caused me to keep my mouth shut in the past. I have seen various discussions of fake Cohiba Sublimes with 2005 and 2006 Edition Limitada bands on the internet. Everyone says they are fake because there was no Sublimes 2005 or 2006 release. I would have agreed. The Sublimes is one of my favorites. I have a bunch of boxes, mostly from authorized retailers. I smoke them all the time and know them intimately. I was given a few with 2005 and 2006 bands to try. They were real. That is all there is to it. My only explanation? They obviously kept making Sublimes past 2004. Someone in the factory probably made a mistake and put the wrong bands on. I can’t speak for the mis-banded Sublimes others may have, but the cigars I tried were real. If you do have a box, I would give a cigar a good chance before I dumped it thinking it was counterfeit. If they did make a mistake with bands, and caught it before they left the factory, Habanos could be perpetuating the notion of counterfeits themselves, by selling those cigars through other channels. Even though they have control of virtually the whole legitimate Cuban cigar market, if I were them, I would want people to be afraid to buy anywhere else. They do not need to worry about counterfeiters stealing their business, but they do need to worry about potential customers buying fakes, thinking they were real and coming to a conclusion Havana has an inferior product.

Now that box of Cohiba Esplendidos with the glass top? Fake! And plenty of others too, but the problem is not as wide as many would have you think. I would be willing to bet the Por Larranaga Robusto will never be counterfeited. They make fakes of brands and vitolas everyone knows well (as well as a few crazy things that never existed.) I can guarantee that if there ever will be a fake box of Por Larranaga Robustos, it will not come out looking like a clean, new, real box, before Habanos releases their cigars,... I have not tried them, but they smell excellent!

My solution? If you do not know what you are smoking, simply by putting it in your mouth and lighting it up, you should only buy from authorized Habanos retailers you trust. It took me years to get to a point where I could really trust my palate. It takes time to get the experience. Until then, do not put yourself through the hassle. There are plenty of real Havana’s out there. It is important to develop a relationship with your retailer. Over time, a good retailer will learn your likes and dislikes and lead you through an excellent experience while you learn your palate and what you like.

Ok. Bring it on. I can take it...

» The plain fact of the matter is the Cubans while improving are not meticulous

» enough to rely on something as simple as a missing sticker from

» a box to determine it is fake.

Much of which has been well documented here. Cardboard instead of cedar sheets.

Terrible misspelling on boxes. Totally different wrapper shades in the same box.

A limited edition humidor with Partagas bands on RyJ cigars and vice-versa. Etc, etc...

Just a couple of points.

1. Dag Holmboe, CEO of PCC would be in a rage if he new a single box of PL Robusto Regional Release was sold in Cuba. They are not Habaons s.a cigars...they are PCC cigars....bought and paid for.

2. Same number of Regional Releases as last year are being made. Just in one cigar as opposed to two. My understanding is that 50% presold. Not too shabby with an official release date of tomorrow in HK.

3. You can get a special order of Sublimes made by Level 9 rollers at the factory. It is a special order. Blend is as close as possible to original Sublimes. This happened less than 4 weeks ago at Partagas under the instruction of factory manager.They carried a Cohiba band but I am unaware if it had a LE band. I know the roller who was one of 5 who rolled them. He did not know the end client but it would have likely been a head of state or the like.

4. Don, you obviously have inside access to some great cigars. However the 2006/06 sublimes you tasted may...just may have been one of those "special roll" jobs. You know your networks and the players involved. To do this they would need to be serious heavy political, industrial or commercial hitters. Unfortunately the 99% of the rest of 2005/06 Sublimes sold on the net are the result of plain fraud and are fakes. How large the fake business out of Cuba is, is estimated (by Habanos s.a) at $80,000,000 USD per year. I think they underestimate it.

» Just a couple of points.

»

»

» 1. Dag Holmboe, CEO of PCC would be in a rage if he new a single box of PL

» Robusto Regional Release was sold in Cuba. They are not Habaons s.a

» cigars...they are PCC cigars....bought and paid for.

I am not privy to the deal that was made. I would only be guessing, but I would assume that PCC will get every box they paid for, and there simply may be more than that made. I am not saying it is okay, I am just giving my best guess. If I were the customer and my deal stated none be sold outside my channel, I would be upset too.

This makes me wonder, do you think the Cubans have enough controls in place (chain of custody type processes) that would ensure extra cigars are not made or that ensure all cigars made would get to the end-customer? I would not know, but you sound like you have been to factories. How do they ensure those sorts of issues do not arise? Do factory managers do favors for friends and business associates or is that a myth? I have heard stories...

» 2. Same number of Regional Releases as last year are being made. Just in

» one cigar as opposed to two. My understanding is that 50% presold. Not too

» shabby with an official release date of tomorrow in HK.

»

» 3. You can get a special order of Sublimes made by Level 9 rollers at the

» factory. It is a special order. Blend is as close as possible to original

» Sublimes. This happened less than 4 weeks ago at Partagas under the

» instruction of factory manager.They carried a Cohiba band but I am unaware

» if it had a LE band. I know the roller who was one of 5 who rolled them. He

» did not know the end client but it would have likely been a head of state

» or the like.

I do not know, but I truly doubt these were a special roll job.

» 4. Don, you obviously have inside access to some great cigars. However the

» 2006/06 sublimes you tasted may...just may have been one of those "special

» roll" jobs. You know your networks and the players involved. To do this

» they would need to be serious heavy political, industrial or commercial

» hitters. Unfortunately the 99% of the rest of 2005/06 Sublimes sold on the

» net are the result of plain fraud and are fakes. How large the fake

» business out of Cuba is, is estimated (by Habanos s.a) at $80,000,000 USD

» per year. I think they underestimate it.

I just know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.... Every now an then, things come my way early. I have no real connections. If I ever did go to Cuba, I sincerely doubt a team of Level 9 rollers would be rolling cigars for me, but one can always dream. I assume I would be treated as any first time tourist/cigar enthusiast would.

I do want to explicitly state one thing I do not believe I made clear, and I may have mislead some on, unintentionally. I do NOT advise anyone buy a box of Sublimes with 2005/6 bands. If you have them, check them out before you dump them. I also have never heard of an authorized retailer selling Sublimes with 2005/2006 bands.

I guess my issue with fakes is not how big or small the business is, but that it can be completely avoided by dealing with Authorized, trustworthy retailers. I must admit, the fake estimate is higher than I would have thought. That is amazing. Of course a cynical mind like mine would then ask, can the number be trusted, and on what data is it based? Does Habanos put out their annual sales figures for public consumption? I wonder what percent of their market that fake estimate is?