Should the U.S. End its Cuba Embargo?

"Should the U.S. End its Cuba Embargo? Yes," - New York Times Upfront, April 18, 2005

In our decision to impose a trade embargo against Cuba, the United States stands alone in the world. After four decades, it is clear that our approach has failed to achieve its intended goals – the end of Fidel Castro’s regime and a peaceful transition to democracy. Today, Cuba remains under totalitarian rule, and Castro remains firmly in power.

Sadly, the only real victims of our policies are the 11 million innocent Cuban men, women, and children. Our embargo has exacerbated the already-miserable living conditions for Cuban citizens. Cuba’s economy has suffered greatly because it is prohibited from exporting goods to the United States. In addition, ordinary Cubans have very limited access to American products. Moreover, our policies abridge Americans’ right to travel freely to Cuba, making exchange between our two cultures essentially impossible.

There are many other nations in the world whose governments are not freely elected. Yet none of our policies towards these nations resemble our treatment of Cuba. With the Cold War over and Cuba posing no threat to the United States, there is simply no justification for our outdated approach to Cuba. To make matters worse, we are spending extraordinary resources enforcing sanctions against Cuba – resources that could be used to secure our nation against terrorism.

The time has come for a fundamental change of direction in our Cuba policy. We can start by ending the trade embargo – and just as importantly, by lifting the ban on travel to Cuba by American citizens. Only by engaging the Cuban people, and by building bridges between our citizens and theirs, will we succeed in bringing freedom and democracy to our neighbor

» "Should the U.S. End its Cuba Embargo? Yes," - New York Times Upfront,

» April 18, 2005

»

» In our decision to impose a trade embargo against Cuba, the United States

» stands alone in the world. After four decades, it is clear that our

» approach has failed to achieve its intended goals – the end of Fidel

» Castro’s regime and a peaceful transition to democracy. Today, Cuba

» remains under totalitarian rule, and Castro remains firmly in power.

»

» Sadly, the only real victims of our policies are the 11 million innocent

» Cuban men, women, and children. Our embargo has exacerbated the

» already-miserable living conditions for Cuban citizens. Cuba’s economy has

» suffered greatly because it is prohibited from exporting goods to the

» United States. In addition, ordinary Cubans have very limited access to

» American products. Moreover, our policies abridge Americans’ right to

» travel freely to Cuba, making exchange between our two cultures

» essentially impossible.

»

» There are many other nations in the world whose governments are not freely

» elected. Yet none of our policies towards these nations resemble our

» treatment of Cuba. With the Cold War over and Cuba posing no threat to the

» United States, there is simply no justification for our outdated approach

» to Cuba. To make matters worse, we are spending extraordinary resources

» enforcing sanctions against Cuba – resources that could be used to secure

» our nation against terrorism.

»

» The time has come for a fundamental change of direction in our Cuba

» policy. We can start by ending the trade embargo – and just as

» importantly, by lifting the ban on travel to Cuba by American citizens.

» Only by engaging the Cuban people, and by building bridges between our

» citizens and theirs, will we succeed in bringing freedom and democracy to

» our neighbor

All very true. The only thing the article forgets to mention is that the embargo is there to please the many Cuban exiles in Florida. And Florida is a key state in presidential elections :-) Which just proves that politicians would rather get elected than end the suffering of 11 million people.

» We already know our politicians have no balls. If we can trade/travel with

» China we can do the same with Cuba or any other nation.

Yeah. The "we want there to be democracy" BS stops when the money starts talking...

» All very true. The only thing the article forgets to mention is that the

» embargo is there to please the many Cuban exiles in Florida. And Florida

» is a key state in presidential elections :-) Which just proves that

» politicians would rather get elected than end the suffering of 11 million

» people.

Claudius, I agree with you 100%. Take the Politics out of play, and this stupid Embargo would be gone years ago. This is going to need a President that wants to do the right thing vs attempting to gain favor in the political realm to be elected or re-elected.

If free elections were the dictum by which the US governments framed their trade and economic assistance policies that would rule out dealings with:

China

Sudan

Burma

Saudi Arabia

Libya

Pakistan

Turkmenistan

Zimbabwe

Equatorial Guinea

North Korea.

Belarus

Ethiopia

Uzbekistan

Info from The independent Institute.

Combined, these leaders received nearly $55 billion in aid from OECD countries. The U.S. contributed to 19 of the 20 worst dictators; King Abdulla of Saudi Arabia was somehow left off of the U.S. gravy train. In total, the U.S. contributed more than $7 billion in aid to these leaders. In North Korea, Belarus, Ethiopia, Swaziland, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan the U.S. contributed more than 20 percent of the total aid these countries received from OECD countries.

» I don't think any of the above listed countries had Russian missiles

» pointed at us or brought us to DEFCON 3 !! Someone is still pissy with

» Castro !

Very True. China used their own :wink:

How many Saudi's were involved in 9/11?

» But Castro had them a stones throw from our shores...if it were up to me

» Prez...no one would get aid from my wallet anymore !!!!

Agreed mate. Our Government is just as complicit in areas of hypocrisy. The Iraqi "Australia Wheat Board" food for oil scandal is a case in point.

» Hey, when we all just finally admit that the U.S. is the cause of all of

» Cuba's problems,

» and that Cuba is not rotting from within, by the hand of Cubans, we'll all

» be better off.....

Cuba is its own worst enemy. No-one except the Cuban dictatorship deny's that. I can't tell you the number of times I have heard 50 and 60 year old Cuban's say to me "what a mistake we made." They pay for it everyday. Their kids and grandchildren pay for it.

The US "global" embargo on Cuba is no more than kicking a dog when it is down day in day out year in year out. It is a dog who can't bite back. Any dog that can (either militarily or economically) is left alone (North Korea and Saudi Arabia come to mind).

I agree with you that if it weren't for cigars, family, friends few around the world would give a rats. Thakfully plenty of people do.

I honestly believe that if the Embargo goes the dictatorship would not last 5 years. Surely that is the aim of everyone who has an interest in seeing the Cuban people forge ahead.

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I am wondering though who will be the first to make a move: The United States or Cuba? I think there is a lot of pride at stake between the countries. Whomever makes the first move may see it as an admission of defeat, i.e. the revolution or the trade embargo, so there is a lot at stake, historically, emotionally etc. I think we know that Raul will take over once Fidel passes away, but what are his intentions?

And in the United States we have already been given a glimpse into what our future President (if it is a democrat) might do in such a case. Hiliary made it clear that she would not sit down, "dialogue", with a rogue state, such as Cuban, Iran, Korea, Libya etc. But, Barack is open to dialogue and begin a process of engagement. Funny thing is we already "speak" to rogue states such as North Korea and Libya through China or France and in some cases we have gone one on one with some of these countries. Heck, Condi Rice has already sat down with Iranian officials, albeit to discus Iraq, but there is dialogue! I will admit I am on the side of Mr.Obama. Maybe we could get Chavez to start some three-party talks:-) Or has Venezuela joined the Axis of Evil.

I think dialogue and communication are important catalysts for change. And I think it is high time the US begin the process of communication. I think it will also take awareness and a re-examination of cultural and historical attitudes, almost a revision of history between the two countries since the revolution, because I bet if you picked up a history text book in either country you will see inflamatory nationalist rhetoric. So I think one place the US can begin is to get rid of the ridiculous travel ban. And I don't want to visit Cuba just for its beaches and cigars:-) but for its wonderful musical tradition it is internationally renown for, its cuisine, and rich history. I look forward to this day. The US and Cuba are closer than the politcians want us to believe; our histories have been intertwined for some time now. I think a lot will be determined in the next US presidency and once Fidel has passed away. I agree with the Prez that it will only be a matter of a few years once things open up.

» Cuba is its own worst enemy. No-one except the Cuban dictatorship deny's

» that. I can't tell you the number of times I have heard 50 and 60 year old

» Cuban's say to me "what a mistake we made." They pay for it everyday. Their

» kids and grandchildren pay for it.

»

» The US "global" embargo on Cuba is no more than kicking a dog when it is

» down day in day out year in year out. It is a dog who can't bite back. Any

» dog that can (either militarily or economically) is left alone (North Korea

» and Saudi Arabia come to mind).

»

» I agree with you that if it weren't for cigars, family, friends few around

» the world would give a rats. Thakfully plenty of people do.

»

» I honestly believe that if the Embargo goes the dictatorship would not

» last 5 years. Surely that is the aim of everyone who has an interest in

» seeing the Cuban people forge ahead.

i agree rob. while the embargo hasn't helped cuba's situation there are hundreds of other countries that they could trade with and not be as poor as they are.

bruce

»would you really give a rat's behind about U.S.

» involvement, or lack thereof, in Cuba?

Insofar as I don't believe our government should be dictating to us who our citizens can and can't be engaging in peaceful commerce with, yes.

Insofar as government hypocrisy (trade with China, etc and not Cuba) really, really frosts me, yes.

Insofar as I believe that free and unencumbered trade leads to freedom, yes.

So yeah, I would.

Vietnam is the best example of our hypocrisy, in my opinion. We fought a nasty war with them, they're still Communist, but now we treat them like they're our best buds. And yet still ostracize Cuba.

As I've said before, if it wasn't for the electoral power of Florida, and the power of the Cuban community in Florida, this embargo would have been over decades ago.

» Vietnam is the best example of our hypocrisy, in my opinion. We fought a

» nasty war with them, they're still Communist, but now we treat them like

» they're our best buds. And yet still ostracize Cuba.

»

» As I've said before, if it wasn't for the electoral power of Florida, and

» the power of the Cuban community in Florida, this embargo would have been

» over decades ago.

First of all I am Cuban and I also live in Florida. I really dont believe that the embargo is still intact because of the Cuban Exiles in Miami, if that were the case Elian Gonzalez would still be in the USA .The situation of Cuba is not as black and white as many think. There are many colors to this rainbow. First, lets look at tourism in the caribbean. If there was no embargo, many islands could say good bye to the ol dollar. Ending the embargo will give David its victory over Goliath but with that said Cuba has never done anything for its people. I have about 75 relatives on the island and for as much as the Cuban government preaches about free education and health care, we are constantly sending medicine and aid so that our relatives can make it. You see the true embargo affects Cubans with family on the island. We pay over $1 a minute to talk with them on the phone and they charge us $35 a pound to send anything and to travel... oh let me not get started..

Am I for the embrgo, no never have been. I want to visit and help my family as everybody else does. I too believe that the lifting of the embargo will bring change, but I also thought that the fall of Fidel would've also. Obviously, I was wrong. One year has gone by and nothing has changed and the US is fine with that.

Oh and to answer the what is the difference between China and Cuba? Answer - more Coca-Cola drinkers.