Cohiba Maduro 5, Secretos

Cohiba Maduro 5, Secretos

Reviewed: 07/11/2007

Origin: Cuba

Box Code: ROA MAY 07

Breaking all my self imposed rules about waiting for a new arrival to rest so that it could be enjoyed when all the conditions are at their best to try it, I was meeting several of my cigar friends for our usual Thursday evening out for cigars. Yes, the long awaited Cuban Cohiba Maduro 5, the first true Maduro from Habanos S.A., which had a dark and richly developed wrapper, rolled into a beautiful cigar. Professor Twain grinned from ear to ear while he tempted to force me to break this rule. I am often found standing upon a large Soap Box explaining the virtues of upholding this rule of at least 30 if not 60 days after arrival before smoking the cigar. Tis sad, I was overcome by my inner desire of tasting the flavor of such a nice treat, the sampling of one of the original releases of this New Cohiba Maduro 5 line right off the truck.

This cigar was richly flavored with a buttery sweetness which bordered on a honey graham cracker crusty essence. The Dark Swiss cooking chocolate had a fruity Cherry taste in the 1/3rd. The Secretos, while still very fresh from the rollers tables displayed a really enjoyable 15 minutes working it way into the second third. I noticed no real distinction between the first and the second third. Although at the ½ way mark, the flavors came on strong with a creamy rich coffee bean that melted into a return of the buttery cake and graham cracker crust. The Secretos had a medium full body with plenty of volume of smoke filling every draw and medium taste of flavor definitely not yet fully developed. The cigar was well balanced, which surprised me for such a young cigar. The Secretos finished its 1st showing to me with more chocolate and creamy butter with a hint of citrus nectar and a rich white pepper spice.

I was impressed with the Secretos I leisurely smoked for nearly an hour. Currently, the cigar does not show any signs of being overly complex. It has a lot of flavor that in my humble opinion will develop very nicely into the future. I would rate the cigar a 4 smoke ring cigar because it is currently a Very Good Cigar with a lot of potential.

• Like 1

Tsk Tsk.......you rule breaker you :lol:

Agre with your review. An excellent change of pace flavour profile but would I change from a Trini Reyes as a go to half corona...no...at least not at this stage.

I wish I could fast forward 2 years on the Maduro 5 series. If they increase in intensity the Secretos will be legendary.

» Thanks for the review. Grahm cracker crust and butter cake, eh? Sounds

» pretty freakin good to me.

Great review Tampa. If I only had the palate to be able to discern those flavors.

Smoked the first of these last night, so I'll tack on my impressions to Tampa's review.

First off, great looking cigar... very dark and oily wrapper, flawless construction. I concur with El Pres' and Tampa's description of the core flavors, all raw cocoa/dark chocolate and very creamy. The first 3rd also had a very prominent spice I can only describe as jalapeno, which I could feel/taste in my nose and on my tounge. This settled down for the remaining 2/3rds of the cigar, but could still be felt stinging the tounge a little all the way to the nub. Draw was excellent, and burned nice and straight, never got hot or bitter.

All in all, enjoyable smoke. I will probably pick up a box eventually to lay down for a while.

I plan on firing up my first Genios this weekend to compare.

Guest gorob23

I had my 1st last Sat and was really disappointed. I LOVE Cohiba's and Partagas but this seemed very flat and not much too it all. The guys I was with felt the same way. Maybe they will get better I have no idea. :-( I really wanted to like it, they do LOOK great. Just my .02

Rob