Classic Cigar Boxes

I've always had a fascination with cigar boxes. When I was a kid it seems everyone used a cigar box for something from storing money to collecting stamps or buttons. They always seemed to be very colorful and interesting. Today I notice their characteristics even more. Some are bright and colorful while others are non obtrusive and forgettable. Some are well constructed of good wood assembled with dovetail joints and others are the classic paper boxes. My Dad uses a high quality wooden cigar box as a humidor and it works very well.

My question is this. What are your favorite Cuban Cigar boxes and why? It seems the boxes themselves have a story to tell. The essence of that story is raw nostalgia which drives us to keep those boxes, stashed away somewhere. They almost seem as if they are a part of some significant piece of history. I'm always just as excited about the box as I am about the contents. It even seems a little silly.

If you have favorites let us know and why. If you have time, take pictures and post them. Try to accentuate your favorite parts of the boxes. I could see this thread becoming a classic.

The Ether..

my favourite cigar box? undoubtedly the next full one.

but as a kid, i remember my grandfather was a keen cigar and pipe smoker and he would give me boxes to store stuff. wish i had some now as no idea which ones they were. would be interesting to know what he smoked.

» my favourite cigar box? undoubtedly the next full one.

The next full one huh? Funny. I actually got big stupid grin when I read that.

I remember a LOT of King Edward boxes. From what I understand it's pretty bottom of the barrel rolling tobacco. Had a neat picture of the King tho.. to a kid anyway..

when I began my cigar journey all those years ago, I asked my dad to get 'a box' when he was overseas. He didn't know anything about cigars but to get Cubans. He comes back with some Quintero y Hnos. Not the greatest cigar in the world but at the time, my first whole box was damn exciting.

Still got the box!

It's not actually a cuban cigar box, but my favorite cigar box is one I inherited from my grandfather. Don't know the exact date, but it is a very old Camacho box, and very nice looking. that and its my favorite becuase of the whole nostalgia thing.

As a kid, my dad had boxes of El Productos with the woman playing a harp on it. I always thought the woman looked old school, but kept one of the boxes all the same though not sure why.

The one I am most keen on now is the Cohiba Pirimides 2006 LE; one sharp box. :yes:

» If you have favorites let us know and why...

My inherited intro to "el mundo de los magnificos": A Belinda Belindas box, once filled with 50 beautiful cigars. Pre-embargo, with "Made in Havana-Cuba", "Claro Claro" and "The cigars herein contained were imported to retail at more than 20 cents each and are so tax paid" fire-branded on the bottom of the box, and with "Seleccion Exclusiva" carved on the sides... why favourite? purely sentimental reasons.

Zuma, Thank You for taking the time to photograph your cigar box! It's looks tremendous.

The Ether..

• 1 year later...

» My inherited intro to "el mundo de los magnificos": A Belinda Belindas

» box, once filled with 50 beautiful cigars. Pre-embargo, with "Made in

» Havana-Cuba", "Claro Claro" and "The cigars herein contained were imported

» to retail at more than 20 cents each and are so tax paid" fire-branded on

» the bottom of the box, and with "Seleccion Exclusiva" carved on the

» sides... why favourite? purely sentimental reasons.

image2751.jpg

I use it as a "pass-through" desk humidor... (the HdM DCs and CoS6 are for scale ;).